Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: chopped blazers

My avalanche,totaled 8( POSblazer's Avatar
    Yes, that's why it was deleted. If your putting any money into a vehicle, use lexan. Enough said.
    Update:My avalanche was totaled by my ex-gf. My business is in ruins. I now plan on finishing the engine repairs to my Saturn, and sell it. Once I get the bills paid off, I'm going to fix my Blazer.
    History:I bought a 2001 saturn sc2, then a 2005 avanche 1500 2wd, then a '87 S10 blazer 2dr 2wd on 07/24/2010, and on 04/01/2011 a '84 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd V8 drag racer(sort of)

sry to put you down "s10blaza" but tempered glass deff. can be cut. Its just hard to try to find somone that still does it or even knows how they do , or in this case, used to do it. Its a long process that only a few people know how to do due to its level of difficulty. Take a look at any old hot rods that have chop tops and notice that most still are temepered glass windshields and not lexan. The guy thats cutting down the windshield for the truck were workin on now used to cut them very often and has special tools and tricks to get the job done. If your still doubtful or have any questions about this feel free to get me on aim @ jimmij210 or email me at jimmij210@comcast.net. Lets get this forum back to chop tops instead of chopped glass!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

sry the pics i took are too big of a file size... email me or use aim by using the adresses above and ill send them to you

Just by the mere comments of you claiming old hot rods had tempered windows confirms to me you have no idea what you're talking about. There's no "old trick" to cutting tempered. you just simply can't. Windshields have never been tempered. They're laminated glass. Its a sheet of plastic sandwiched between two pieces of glass. Its rather stupid for any kind of vehicle to have a tempered windshield. Windshields are weak for the very reason that in case of an accident, it'll break easily. Imagine flying headfirst into a tempered glass windshield at 65mph? You'd have a better chance of surviving being expelled from the vehicle.

Bottom line is, tempered glass can NOT be cut. Not matter what you've heard from people. Its like saying you can cut a balloon.

The only way you'd be able to cut tempered glass is by annealing it. You heat the glass up until its softening point so the stress the outside skin of the glass is inducing is released. Then you let it cool down normally, then do the cuts. Basically you'd have to de-temper it.

That method above would be a waste of time though, it'd be cheaper to just get glass made from scratch from someplace

I`ve had a local glass shop cut some tempered glass for a video projector I made. they sent it out to do but they did it. They gave me the extra pieces that were cut off also. not trying to be a wise ass, but don`t tell people they are wrong when they are not.

Tempered glass should receive the same care as annealed glass. Unfortunately, familiarity with the greatly improved strength of tempered glass may mislead people to exert less care in handling it. Careless handling and improper installation sometimes produce edge damage. Delayed breakage can ensue when edge-damaged tempered glass is subjected to a moderate thermal of mechanical stress. Full penetration of the compression layer will likely produce instantaneous total fragmentation of tempered glass. Hence, tempered glass cannot be cut or modified following heat treatment

that is for all u smart asses

I didn`t say that stuff isn`t correct, just that it can be cut. I used it to block heat from a high temp bulb in a projector, so the heat wouldn`t melt a lcd screen. I didn`t say that it would be o.k. to use it on a car. They may have used back in the day but they also did a lot of stuff back then that was not safe by any means. I don`t want to be labeled on this site because I get alot of info from everyone here and it helps me out on my blazer and isn`t that why were here?

wow and i thought this was three pages of chopped top blazers

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by lilbushhead
    I`ve had a local glass shop cut some tempered glass for a video projector I made. they sent it out to do but they did it. They gave me the extra pieces that were cut off also. not trying to be a wise ass, but don`t tell people they are wrong when they are not.
    i think hector said that it was possible to cut the glass down... it just has to be de tempered... In other words the actual tempered glass cannot be cut down, it is the detempered glass that is cut (even though it USED to be tempered)

even in the site you just posted it says that they cut it to your specs... THEN temper it

now WTF are the damn chop top pics:bigthumb:
    Superbee is a Flaming homosexual!
    A firm believer that women are physcotic.

well thats settled :D
    RUN WITH SIZZORS!!!, I DO!!!

94 sonoma ext cab daily

86 blaze 2 dr 2wd ... v8 and layd on 18's

Originally posted by GOT AIR ONE
    that is for all u smart asses
    lol, i love the newb rage.:smoker:

lol a bit of a cat fighht in here lmao......I work on heavy equipment everyday and the brain dead operators are always destroying windows.So from experience and hands on installation .....Tempered glass can be cut but without rounding the edges on the glass it creates a fracture point and will EXPLODE! When you try to get a glass shop to round the edge if you can find one to do it( ya right they dont want to buy you a new piece) they will break it almost imediately because of the fracture point. Once again the ultimate way to SHAPE not cut a tempered window is with a cnc table and special grinding and polishing tools very expensive and very time consuming.
    Another alterantive to lexan and the polishing hassles is laminated glass.Laminated glass is cut by scoring your shape and pouring methylhydrate over the cuts which in turn eat the laminate and allow you to break off the piece as if it were standard glass.Your windshield works in the same way.
    Although care must be taken as your winshield is double laminated unless it was pre 70's I believe and getting through the one layer to cut the glass is tricky.When all said and done take a belt sander with 100 or 150 grit sandpaper and polish those edges as you would your nob:smoker: :p:
    slave to the machine

Slammed Dually Driver kicker1_solo's Avatar
    Well I found this thread quite interesting seeing as how I work at a glass shop. And to put an end to all of this, TEMPERED GLASS CAN NOT BE CUT! My shop does all kinds of glass, has things tempered, basically whatever you want we will do. When it comes to people wanting a piece of tempered glass cut we tell them it's not possible. We can't cut it, we can't send it out to be cut, there is no cutting it.

tisk tisk this society nowadays is all about the I cant's ,will nots,and never in a million......
    So you're sayin that its impossible?
    Hmmm....
    I suppose you could be right, I mean they never really landed on the moon and stem cells are a figment of some lunatics imagination.Will try to find the web site that gave an example of their machine cutting tempered glass.
    Off topic......Up in the oil sands I was on a job site where this machine buddy had through vibration changed the density of his weld and prevented absolutely no distortion in the metals while welding on cutting teeth on some massive earth mover.
    Anything is possible and you can be sure the impossible will surely be impossible to afford for small projects that encompass our lives,where the @$%&*# is that website
    slave to the machine