Thread: transmission upgrade ???

transmission upgrade ???

so it looks like the strange shake i have at 60+ mph might be my torq converter.
    this is just a maybe but i think with the miles on the trany and this new excuse for an upgrade i will just replace the whole thing flex plate to yolk. i know nothing about trans. or converters so i need your input. what would you do? i have a 95 gmc jimmy 4x4 4.3 droped 2 all around the 4.3 is new about 6g on it still very fresh. so what do you think i should put in the middle? go nuts but keep it automatic and remember its a daily.
    1995 gmc jimmy sls 4x4

My best advice is to go talk to a few transmission shops about what they offer and consult some local hotrodder forums about where they go. I got my 89 tranny rebuilt in 97 by a shop well recommended by several local racers. 8 years, and lots of 2nd gear chirps later, the tranny is still standing up strong. Just this past year I replaced the torque converter with a 3k stall to get a better launch, but the old one seemed to still be working fine.

Teeleton
    89 Dark Blue Blazer : The Hotrod : Tuning in progress : 9.32@72 1/8th mile... new 1/4 times coming.
    89 Black Blazer : The Daily : 16.9@82
    Member of H.A.S.T.E. (Houston Area S-Series & T-Series Enthusiasts)
    Get your butt to the 2006 S-Series Nationals!
    hi scott

good point whats the deal with the converter higher RPM's = better start - higher speeds???????? or what i dont have a clue
    1995 gmc jimmy sls 4x4

the shake probably has NOTHING to do with yoru tranny.. its probably your tires or u-joints.. but if for some reason your stuck on replacing your trans.. just put another stock one in there theres no point of putting a *hi performance* tranny behind a stock motor...
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

your right.
    1995 gmc jimmy sls 4x4

i had a shake like that before. i thought it was a u joint but i put different tires on and it went away.

and i shoke bad on the hightway. like the dash would jump up and down and if no one was sitting in the passenger side the seat would shake.

so if your tires are old or nasty looking get new ones. or try ballencing them
    1989 merkur XR4Ti
    1987 merkur XR4Ti

megasquirt 2 extra EFI