Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the Ford 8.8" for rear end swap

Originally posted by BlazerINtheWork
    i am going to say its a 2wd since it came out of a turbo coupe(car). i'm not sure on that first question, since this is the first one i even got to measure. i wasn't even planing to look at them for about 3 or 4 months. this one just fell in my lap and i could not pass it up.
    makes a little more sence on why the rear is wider, i was measuring early 90's 4x4 v8 explorers

i was thinking there is no way disc would make it that much wider

good find anyways :bigthumb:

I'd honestly look for a 2wd Blazer rear that is an 8.5" before I'd do the work for an 8.8".. Especially Kyle being in Florida. Not sure about SoLoud, I dunno how their weather is adn how many 2wd trucks/blazers would be available around there.

But those 2wd 8.5" rears are nice, straight bolt in, easy to convert to disc brakes. No cutting down, no redrilling, nothing. And I know of a place by me taht I can get one with 32,000 miles on it for like $250

Edit: I think you might have to have a different U-Joint on the rear end for 97 and older blazers. I'm not sure why I'm thinking of this at the moment, but yall might want to check that out if your looking into a 8.5" chevy rear.
    LT1/4L60E/Shaved handles, emblems, antenna/5-4 Drop/16" Xtreme Wheels.

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

this is all true, but its easier to find an 8.8, its cheeper, and stronger then an 8.5

an 8.5 may be a direct bolt in but most came with a 3.08 g80 diff and the g80 is shit anyways

where as the 8.8 comes with a good posi and comes in gears like 3.55 3.73 and 4.10 prolly other gears but im not sure they are much more abundant also, just look at how many exploders are in a wrecking yard

so lets crunch some numbers
    8.5 rear end complete 300 bucks
    gears 200
    insall kit 100
    posi 300-400

right there you looking at 600-700 if you can find one

ford 8.8 fond one thats posi and has your gear ratio 300 bucks

thats my reasoning fr why the ford rear is better

Originally posted by tippmann243
    this is all true, but its easier to find an 8.8, its cheeper, and stronger then an 8.5

an 8.5 may be a direct bolt in but most came with a 3.08 g80 diff and the g80 is shit anyways

where as the 8.8 comes with a good posi and comes in gears like 3.55 3.73 and 4.10 prolly other gears but im not sure they are much more abundant also, just look at how many exploders are in a wrecking yard

so lets crunch some numbers
    8.5 rear end complete 300 bucks
    gears 200
    insall kit 100
    posi 300-400

right there you looking at 600-700 if you can find one

ford 8.8 fond one thats posi and has your gear ratio 300 bucks

thats my reasoning fr why the ford rear is better

Fair enough. But how much will it cost (and I seriously dont know this) to have the rear shortened and then re-drilled for a Chevy Bolt Pattern?

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

It's all about to change winditup57's Avatar
    All this debate is why I am just gonna buy a narrowed 9" that is a direct bolt in for my Blazer..no need to deal with wrong offsets, bolt patterns..nothing.

An I will still have less that $1000 in my rear end without worries... Then if I want to swap gears..it is a 1/2hr job.

I will have no problem spendin a little extra to have my Blazer have the right offset wheels for a 2wd...I am not into the whole fwd/4x4 look you will have with a rear that is too wide. Not to mention. you will have to buy spacers for the front so it matches the back.

the ones ive been measuring are the same width as a 4x4 rear end so they dont need to be narrowed, and ive been quoted 60 bucks to redrillboth axels for the chevy bolt patern

so your looking at a stong bolt in rear end for fairly cheep

if i could find an 8.5 rear i would snathc one up, but i have yet to find one and ive been loking for about a year

Originally posted by winditup57
    I will have no problem spendin a little extra to have my Blazer have the right offset wheels for a 2wd...I am not into the whole fwd/4x4 look you will have with a rear that is too wide. Not to mention. you will have to buy spacers for the front so it matches the back.
    this all is a valid point, but i want to run f body wheels w/ out adapters on the rear (dosent seem to safe when racing)

thats why ive looked into this so much

Everybody has there own way of doing things...for your reason..makes sense... for mine..no

:bigthumb: have fun

Search Button Mod BlazerINtheWork's Avatar
    the redrilling is pretty cheap like tippmann said. you can still have some lip on the rim and run this rear, just have to take a minute and measure out what BS you can run.

as far as the 8.5 goes, tippmann hit it on the head. i've also looked around for an 8.5 alot, and they are pretty rare around here. the ones i do find are bone stock and $600.
    Originally posted by Baggd2DaXtreeme
    anyone who posts regularly and doesnt donate is a freeloader.
    Quote Originally Posted by banginjimmy(in reference to BlazinLow) View Post
    There are those times where its simply better than real life
    4 Door Love

Banned
    and if you have 4wd its even more perfect ;)

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Can you get the 8.8 with 3.42 gears??

If not, than if you are running 4wd or AWD, you don't have much choice if have to match front and rear gears...
    1993 GMC Sonoma
    4x4 5 Speed Manual
    5.7L Vortec V8 with TBI

Originally posted by sterling
    Can you get the 8.8 with 3.42 gears??

If not, than if you are running 4wd or AWD, you don't have much choice if have to match front and rear gears...

I think 3.42's are a GM specific gear set. I don't think that Ford would have them.

Originally posted by S/T Lover
    I think 3.42's are a GM specific gear set. I don't think that Ford would have them.
    correct, ford does not have 3.42, they run a 3.55 ratio

It looks like an 8.8 is out of the question for me since I have 3.42 gears front and rear. Any other options besides an 8.5??
    1993 GMC Sonoma
    4x4 5 Speed Manual
    5.7L Vortec V8 with TBI

Originally posted by sterling
    It looks like an 8.8 is out of the question for me since I have 3.42 gears front and rear. Any other options besides an 8.5??

Dont use 4wd....might be able to compensate with different tire sizes too:confused: