Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 355 Exhaust

355 Exhaust

Last edited by lycan; 09-12-2006 at 04:10 PM.

Sounds like you may be redoing it to get it "just right"

WTF are high pitch "scatter" noises?

Here's my suggestion, single exhaust to a cat, single pipe to a muffler with dual outlets, dual exhaust from there back.

That's what is on my '94 full size. A little throaty, but not that loud. Enough to know its not stock. I think you would be happy with that.

I had it done at Midas. The Midas shop here does good work. The muffler was Midas' version of the Flowmaster.

EDIT: try this link

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/30401/
    Last edited by toals; 12-17-2005 at 11:23 PM.

We aren't speaking in measurable terms here. How much is a shit load?

It will mellow it out. If you don't care about flow then I wouldn't screw with true duals, X pipes, H pipes, etc.

You also left out a basic piece of info........

You starting with factory manifolds or which tpe of headers

single off of factory would be easy as the exhaust shop could have a starter piece to fit the manifolds and get it headed bak in one.

PErsonally I love cheap ass turbo mufflers although the more expesive turbo mufflers from Autozone last 2 times longer.

It's all about to change winditup57's Avatar
    x and H pipes balance out the tones between the pipes and take the higher pitched sounds out..it will be a deeper tone, just not crackly(for lack of a better word)....single with a flowmaster and dual outs would sound very nice..
    I had single into a glasspack then split into dual pipes..sounded really good when I got on it..normal drivin'..hardly heard it...good luck on that decision

Originally posted by bigjsp
    You also left out a basic piece of info........

You starting with factory manifolds or which tpe of headers

single off of factory would be easy as the exhaust shop could have a starter piece to fit the manifolds and get it headed bak in one.

PErsonally I love cheap ass turbo mufflers although the more expesive turbo mufflers from Autozone last 2 times longer.
    He has stock manifolds - that's why I suggested what I did.

Do as I told you Lycan and you will be pleased - I guarantee.

3"is a bit much..I guess it all matters on how built the motor is..I wouldnt go any bigger than 2 1/4" tails...2 1/2 into the muffler
    You gotta have backpressure for the motor to run right....

go listen on flowmaster's website...and see if thats what you are wanting....and yes..backpressure is a good thing

Sorry I'm in a pissy mood but this whole thread sounds like fucking RICE.

THe whole concept of throwing away horsepower to get a sound is just wrong

Originally posted by lycan
    And thanks a lot guys, you've been more helpful than any other forum I posted this question on. Way it should be.

http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/spo.../wrxlaunch.htm
    The exhaust on the Subaru WRX is what I'd like. Doesn't sound ricy at all, and is nice and deep.
    I have a surround sound with sub for my computer speakers, so I can hear the deepness to it, it might sound ricy with only treble.
    your 350 is NEVER going to sound like a subi...becasue you dont ahve a turbo thats what give the motor so much throat adn not as much of a rice sound

ive got a few buddies with turbo hondas and my one buddie before he put the turbo on he was running a resonator and 2 glass packa dn it was loud as fuck, after the turbo he is running straight 3" pipe and thats it and its quiet and throaty....the turbo realy changes the sound of a motor

Banned
    Those subarus have flat fours hince the real choppy exhaust note.

All i can add is my dad has a 90 silverado with athe same engine as me and his had single into dual out 40 series and my are true dual into 40 series flows and mine has so much more throat to it, i also have header too i guess. My exhaust does sound a little too tinny at high rpms so i thinking about an h-pipe so you might want to keep that in mind. My dad also has the 50 delta on his camaro and they dont have that tinny flowmaster note as much and it sounds a little deeper, but i cant really say thats just the mufflers since its a complety diferent engine setep.

Let us know what you get, and get an exhaust clip up reguardless!

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    unless you are some type of tree huggin hippie putting a cat. on your truck is worthless with a carb. Do yourself a favor and stick with true duals, a crossover pipe and look for the longest possible muffler, i believe the flowmaster 70 series (?dont quote that) is gonna give you a nice rumblebut not that brutal growl i know carcraft praised it for hiding the loud v8 echo

what i say is build your exhaust yourself, if you dont like it, sell the mufflers for 2/3s of what you paid and keep building, ive got about 1 hour of actually work into my exhaust and its pretty much done, the other 4 hours i spend cussing collector bolts and zero room lol.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    its what ive been told, and the fact that 40 series are around 14 inches long and i believe 70's are somewhere in the 20-30 inch area id believe it is true. but like i said, i dont know, i do my nova is quiet lol, its got a single in dual out, but its stock haha and has a gutted cat too, it made no noticable difference what so ever but the best way to keep is queit is get a good made to be quiet muffler and keep the exhaust all the way out the back

Originally posted by lycan
    Please don't leave a reply saying "Just go with a 40 series. Fuck making it quieter"
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    THe whole concept of throwing away horsepower to get a sound is just wrong

I didn't violate your request.

My vehicles don't have a redneck loud ass exhaust. They have the tone you describe. Exhausts exit out the back on all three on my V8'd S vehicles.

Some day you will remember WHY YOU PUT A V8 in to begin with and will regret throwing $400 away on an exhaust that costs you 10-15 HP and 1 MPG.