Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: impala/grand prix gt to jimmy swap?

impala/grand prix gt to jimmy swap?

alright guys.. this is my first post up on here but i've been watching the posts for a while now on BL. i've searched and i can't seem to find anything on my topic question which i'm about to impose on you guys...

alright i've been wondering if any of these type of engines could be swappable into my 98 GMC Jimmy...

~3.8L 3800 Series III 260hp Supercharged V6 that comes out of the 2005 pontiac grand prix gt

~3.8L 3800 Series II 240hp Supercharged V6 that comes out of the 2005 chevy impala ss/monte carlo ss

~5.3L 5300 Small Block 303hp V8 (w/ D.O.D.) that comes out of the 2006 chevy impala ss/monte carlo ss/ grand prix gxp

i know all these engines are meant for fwd vehicles but i don't think that would affect anything. so but anyway, does anybody have any idea if:
    1 ~ any of these engines would fit in my jimmy?
    2 ~ what type of transmission should i go with (if any are appicable)
    3 ~ how to do the swap properly (if any are applicable)
    4 ~ if this idea is even worth going through all the trouble for?
    getting the actual engines and transmission aren't a problem. i got a hook up at gmpp direct. but yea, so what do you guys think?
    ...when things don't go your way, give it the finger...

My baby is dead.... =(

I think that the 3800's are 60 degree motors. Which means they won't bolt up to your tranny. Since, I believe the only motor available in your 98 blazer was the 4.3.

So, additionally you've looking at a tranny swap. Complete rewiring job, plus the motor swap, for...another 40-50 HP?

It would probably be a lot less work to supercharger or turbocharge your current 4.3 motor. Probably cost wise as well.

I think the 5.3's in those cars should be about the same as any of the other Gen III V8 motors. Which would have the work of a regular V8 swap, plus the added difficulties of the Gen III motors.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

also got to remember the 3800 is a front wheel drive motor so the motor mounts are not gonna be anywhere close to being the same

Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer
    I think that the 3800's are 60 degree motors. Which means they won't bolt up to your tranny. Since, I believe the only motor available in your 98 blazer was the 4.3.

So, additionally you've looking at a tranny swap. Complete rewiring job, plus the motor swap, for...another 40-50 HP?

It would probably be a lot less work to supercharger or turbocharge your current 4.3 motor. Probably cost wise as well.

I think the 5.3's in those cars should be about the same as any of the other Gen III V8 motors. Which would have the work of a regular V8 swap, plus the added difficulties of the Gen III motors.
    well i figured with the right dual cat back system with the 3800, some newer headers and a few other things i could maybe boost the already 260hp to at least around 300hp or so (give or take a little). but it was just a thought for that. i havebeen thinking about supercharging the 4.3 but how would i go about changing or removing the govenor chip bc also one of the whole points of this engine swap is bc i wanna be able to go more then 120mph in my jimmy once its dropped and etc: but another thing is if i supercharge it, how many ore ponies would i get out of my 4.3 with the right exhaust and barely legal cat converters n etc:?

My baby is dead.... =(

the best swap for you would be a 350 vortec motor, do soem research on it

i plan on picking up a second gen adn doing it in the near future

350 vortec? small or big block? and if so, should i just go with the tbi trans that everyone else is going with for there v8 conversion if i do decide to get the 350 vortec?

My baby is dead.... =(

k i'm a dumbass i forgot the 350 is a small block.. but anyway, which 350 vortec should i go with? as you can see here , there are many to choose from.... so which one would be good for my 98 jimmy? and again, if i do get the 350 vortec, which tbi trans should i get?

My baby is dead.... =(

Originally posted by *~dA-1-N-oNLy~*
    k i'm a dumbass i forgot the 350 is a small block.. but anyway, which 350 vortec should i go with? as you can see here , there are many to choose from.... so which one would be good for my 98 jimmy? and again, if i do get the 350 vortec, which tbi trans should i get?
    i noticed your in california...
    so there are TWO specific thinga you have to remember before you even THINK about doing any of this.

1st YOU MUST swap your engine with the same model year or newer engine... california emmision laws will not allow you to drive a newer vehicle with an older engine.

and second you must run all vehicle emission systems originally equiped on vehicle/engine and you will be expected to meet emissions for your newer engines year.

from what i can tell you want to add power, the 4.3s can take alot of mods and gain alot of power. you dont absolutely need to have an engine swap to do that.

another thing that i noticed is that you havent much knowledge on what you are wanting to do, so if you are gonna follow thru i would recommend you contact someone that has done it before and is knowledgeable. (no disrespect intended to you in any way)

a different engine would be cool to see though.

do your research anything is possible if you have the pocketbook to match.

good luck
    Superbee is a Flaming homosexual!
    A firm believer that women are physcotic.

naw don't even trip, no disrespect taken n yes i have a pocket book that matches my intensions. i know i don't have all the knowledge as of yet for the swap so thats why i'm looking to see what are my options and what i am and am not able to do.

but i do know there's a lot of mods you can do to a 4.3. i've researched it well and know everything you can do to it. everything from wiring to exhaust to a supercharger. my only question that i have for all of this is that is there a way i can modify the settings on my computer (i know there's the programmer by hypertech, but i don't know if it'll do it or not) so that i can run past a 100mph without removing the govenor? or is that all i'm limited too even with all the mods added to my 4.3? or not even reprogramming the computer, but putting in a different govenor (w/ gauges) to be able to have the freedom of a 100mph+ in my jimmy? let me know....

My baby is dead.... =(

you should be looking for a stock 350 vortec motor from a 96-99 fullsize trcuk

and if you go this route you can keep your current trans

your gonna need a power programed that will raise the gov.
    it will also give you some extra ponys under the hood.
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

power programed? you mean the one that hypertech offers? or by who?

My baby is dead.... =(

yes like the ones hypertech makes. im not sure who else out there makes them. seeing i still have a prom in my 1st gens. i have no need for the programer
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

oh ok.. sweet! but even with all the mods inputed into the programmer... do you know how much more mph the govenor would gain?

My baby is dead.... =(

sounds like a fun project

a grand prix motor would be fun
    only problem I see, other than the motor mounts, would be machining a plate to mount it rwd

shouldn't be that hard if you know some people