Thread: Installing a Satellite Radio

Installing a Satellite Radio

Tools: Dull screwdriver, or pick tool, electrical tape, saudering gun, and sauder, or sauderless conectors

First thing you need to know is that Sirius is 12 volt, however XM is only 6. The cig. plug on the XM converts it to 6v.

If you buy a XM unit you will need a female cigarette lighter plug if you want to hardwire the unit.

On Sirius, you just cut off the head that would plug into the lighter. Disassemble the head before you cut it and the wire that goes to the tip is your positive

Decide where you want your unit mounted before you get started.
    There are universal mounts, and also specific mounts for Dodge, Ford, and Chevrolet.

Most of the antenna's are magnetic, but I suggest using the 3M body molding double side tape so car washes, and things to that effect wont slide it around and scratch your roof.

Take a towel with rubbing alcohol and clean where you want your antenna to mount, then clean the back of the antenna.

Apply tape to the antenna once it has dried.

Peel backing off of the tape and stick it where you want it. Apply pressure for approx. 30 seconds to make sure the tape sticks.

Get a very small screw driver, or pick tool that has been dulled and push the antenna wire into the rubber around the windshield along the top. when you get to the corner you can pull back both of the rubber pieces that seal the doors closed, and run the wire through there, and inside of the trim piece on your A pillar.

Run that wire under the dash to where you want your unit.

Next you can hardwire the power wire of the unit into any hot wire. Most of the time the + and - on the radio are the easiest.

Either strip back the wires and sauder the + to the +, and the - to the -, or cut them, strip them back, and join the wires for the satellite unit into the crimp connectors.

Mount the unit stand where you prefer it.

Place unit on the mount

Plug in the antenna wire, and the power wire.

Tape them together about 6 inches back, or however far it takes to hide a few extra inches behind the dash.

Take all the excess wire and wrap it together and tape it up.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE ANTENNA WIRE, BY CUTTING IT, OR KINKING IT

Hide the taped up group of wires somewhere inside the dash, and if necessary, zip tie them up.

Slide your radio, or whatever you used for power back in, and your done.

Most satellite units are pre-set to 88.1 FM for frequency.

You can adjust that to any station you desire, but if it is an active station, the local station will pick up before the satellite will.

By the way: You dont connect the Sat. Unit to anything other than the antenna, and the power. It sends a signal to the radio, and thats how you get your sound.
    Last edited by noname; 01-02-2006 at 09:25 PM.

Re: Installing a Satellite Radio

Originally posted by noname
    Tools: Dull screwdriver, or pick tool, electrical tape, saudering gun, and sauder, or sauderless conectors

First thing you need to know is that Sirius is 12 volt, however XM is only 6. The cig. plug on the XM converts it to 6v.

If you buy a XM unit you will need a female cigarette lighter plug if you want to hardwire the unit.

On Sirius, you just cut off the head that would plug into the lighter. Disassemble the head before you cut it and the wire that goes to the tip is your positive

Decide where you want your unit mounted before you get started.
    There are universal mounts, and also specific mounts for Dodge, Ford, and Chevrolet.

Most of the antenna's are magnetic, but I suggest using the 3M body molding double side tape so car washes, and things to that effect wont slide it around and scratch your roof.

Take a towel with rubbing alcohol and clean where you want your antenna to mount, then clean the back of the antenna.

Apply tape to the antenna once it has dried.

Peel backing off of the tape and stick it where you want it. Apply pressure for approx. 30 seconds to make sure the tape sticks.

Get a very small screw driver, or pick tool that has been dulled and push the antenna wire into the rubber around the windshield along the top. when you get to the corner you can pull back both of the rubber pieces that seal the doors closed, and run the wire through there, and inside of the trim piece on your A pillar.

Run that wire under the dash to where you want your unit.

Next you can hardwire the power wire of the unit into any hot wire. Most of the time the + and - on the radio are the easiest.

Either strip back the wires and sauder the + to the +, and the - to the -, or cut them, strip them back, and join the wires for the satellite unit into the crimp connectors.

Mount the unit stand where you prefer it.

Place unit on the mount

Plug in the antenna wire, and the power wire.

Tape them together about 6 inches back, or however far it takes to hide a few extra inches behind the dash.

Take all the excess wire and wrap it together and tape it up.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE ANTENNA WIRE, BY CUTTING IT, OR KINKING IT

Hide the taped up group of wires somewhere inside the dash, and if necessary, zip tie them up.

Slide your radio, or whatever you used for power back in, and your done.

Most satellite units are pre-set to 88.1 FM for frequency.

You can adjust that to any station you desire, but if it is an active station, the local station will pick up before the satellite will.

By the way: You dont connect the Sat. Unit to anything other than the antenna, and the power. It sends a signal to the radio, and thats how you get your sound.
    Nice write up but not all sat radios have an fm mod some you need to actually hook up through the rca's or a cassette adapter.
    I'm a black ninja motherfucker!

the RCA's and the cassette adapter just help amplify the signal

the RCA's and the cassette adapter just help amplify the signal
    Oh man come on you made that write up and then come back with that stupid comment do you even know what an rca cable or cassette adapter is?

in the 4 years i have been an installer, and the year and a half i have been installing sat. i have never had to use anything other than the ant, and power... maybe im just doing something right..
    Last edited by noname; 01-02-2006 at 10:01 PM.

So on a delphi skyfi or an alpine tua 020xm how do get signal from the tuner to the head unit if you just hook up power and antenna

Originally posted by slammins15
    So on a delphi skyfi or an alpine tua 020xm how do get signal from the tuner to the head unit if you just hook up power and antenna
    never done an alpine, so idk on that one.

the skyfi worked fine for us with just the power and antenna

it sends a fm transmitted signal to the radio

The skyfi2 has fm mod built in the skify does not you need to use the line out from the cradle to an rca in or use the cassette adapter into a cassette player. The alpine uses an ainet cable to an rca in to pass signal.

i was thinkin skyfi2

sorry bout that one.. but the units now all work the way i explained

ROSHAMBO anyone????? LOWnSLOnoma's Avatar
    yes very good write up theres one thing that should be added tho, if for some reason a person is using the wireless fm mod and you get a bad hiss, with the siruis units theres a fm signal booster wire, basically a booster antenna for the signal, use that for a little better quality
    in life ups and downs are ok but sometime you just gotta stay LOW

_____ I[__\\.___
    [_(o)__[____(o)_]

"SLOWRIDE"

I have a Pioneer DEH-P6400 headunit. It is XM ready. How do I go about hooking up satellite radio to that? Do I still need the XM receiver and all that, or is there just an antenna that I can get to run the XM through my deck? I'd like to get satellite radio, and if I can save a few bucks by not having to get a bunch of stuff I don't need, even better. Thanks.

4 year installer and doesn't know what a cassette adapter does? hmmm.....

CC or BB? :)
    CLancy

Originally posted by 94LT
    I have a Pioneer DEH-P6400 headunit. It is XM ready. How do I go about hooking up satellite radio to that? Do I still need the XM receiver and all that, or is there just an antenna that I can get to run the XM through my deck? I'd like to get satellite radio, and if I can save a few bucks by not having to get a bunch of stuff I don't need, even better. Thanks.
    You're not limited to XM. You can also plug in the Sirius module. Pioneer makes both XM and a sirius module that can be controlled via the head unit. (SIR-PNR1 or PNR2). I run a PNR2. All you need is a pioneer IP cable. That way you won't need the crappy FM modulators.

Or if you want to use a set top box (such as the PNP series or any other external unit) You can use the CB10 adapter that plugs into your IP bus (about 30 bux) and creates an AUX jack for you that you can plug your unit into, again forgetting about crappy FM modulation. Though with the external box the install won't be as clean and you can't control the external units via the head unit.
    Support Sattelite Radio! Goto www.siriusbackstage.com
    goto http://www.pghconsulting.net/teal to see my updated pics!

-- I won't bag it and/or drop it, because face it, I'm too old to have a ghetto-mobile
    "I live with 2 retards and a deaf person.....It's not so bad..." --Grandma

Re: Installing a Satellite Radio

Not being a dick, just some heads up and extra advise to add....

The siruis S50 is 5.5 volts.

U can hardwire the XM by taking apart the cig lighter and saudering directly to the connections. just be sure that you know what ur doing before u do so.

Usually u can tell the difference of the cables by looking at the markings on them. the - - - - on the one wire indicates usually it is positive. but please be sure to check before u connect to positive. U do not want to blow any of ur fuses.

in the 4 years i have been an installer, and the year and a half i have been installing sat. i have never had to use anything other than the ant, and power... maybe im just doing something right..
    u may not have ever hooked up anything other than something that has a built in fm transmitter. if something does not have one built in (ex. older XM units) then there is need for a fm mod.

also my XM2GO myfi is only 5 volts too.
    Last edited by slammins15; 06-22-2007 at 12:10 AM.