Thread: very loud clunking and grinding from a bravada

very loud clunking and grinding from a bravada

Today we were leaving a parts store and i got on it because i would didnt really wanna get rearended and it started to make a very loud clunking and grinding noise from under it. But what would cause the loud clunking and grinding? It sounds as if its from the T-case? This is a 94 with a Vortec 4.3/700 trans combo.

And it is missing the front driveshaft. We were thinking one of the previous owners wanted to disable the AWD deal, wanted gas mileage, or the front differ was going bad. HELP!

Could it be that the t-case was bad leading to the removal of the shaft and i wasnt informed? I just bought this thing tuesday night!

Also what could i do to just make it a 2wd? Find a 2wd tranny and rear drive shaft or what cuz i know that std cab short box s10 are damn near the same wheel base.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    Breaking stuff takes talent.

Banned
    yes, you can get a 2wd 700r4, then a 1 piece shaft out of a 2wd single cab pickup, thats what i did.

Before you do that id pull your rear differential cover and look at the fluid, every tooth on the ring and pinion, and also side gears for any chipped teeth. it will only cost a few qts of gear oil and some silicone and chances are it needs serviced anyways.

btw, i see you put 94, so its more than likely a 4l60e

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

oh really? does it mater if i leave the front diff in. im just gonna take the front axles out. and yes i planed to do alot of fluid changes.

Banned
    ya if you take the axles out and put the outer hubs back on, so your wheel bearings wont fall off then you might as well take that whole axle out and remove all the weight and have all that room to work then. Its not hard at all, only like 6 bolts or somethign like that.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

outter hubs? like the outter ends of the axles that go thru the bearings? Also for the time being til i find a 2wd tranny is it possible to just take the drive chain out of the transfer case and run like that? ha im sorry for the noob ?s but im new at this.

Banned
    yes the outer hub, separate the outer most cv joint, and clean it out and put just that hub in there and put your hub nut back on. otherwise your wheel will fall off.

thats really just a pita to do that work, id just look for a tranny or either take your front propshaft out (from t-case to front diff) and see if that stops the binding.

ok i thought thats what you meant, cool.

yeah im looking for a 2wd tranny. bud of mine is givin me the driveshaft i need so im set there. he might have the tranny too but not sure. there is a s10 at a nearby junkyard tho so i may try that.

thats the sad thing, that shaft is already out : / it didnt make the noice today driving it so idk. but now im leaking from the rad area, i am starting to think i bought a pile haha

I have a 2000 Bravada, 75,000 miles with a strange condition that the dealership mechanic can't figure out. I start out on the highway and everything is running smoothly. If I stop and start up again the car feels like it is going over the seam lines in the road. Then get up to about 60mph it stops. The mechanic hooked it up to the computer and everything checks out good. He called GM and they don't know what it is. He seems to think that it is something in the transfer case slipping but can't find it. He wants another Bravada to look at and compare to mine. It doesn't do it all the time, just mostly on the highway. He also thinks it may have something to do with the all wheel drive. Anyone eles have this problem???