Thread: '88 2.8 too hard to start!!!!!!!

big BOB

Unhappy '88 2.8 too hard to start!!!!!!!

Help.........I just decided to reinstall my 2.8 back in my s15 blazer until I can get my final parts for the v8 change. Here's the problem
    I can't get the engine to crank without cranking the hell out of it. and when it does it runs rich as hell, I put a new t/chain , injectors
    checked all vacuum lines, change the TPS and idle air sensor. Now it wants to really foul the plugs and won't idle at all.... any answers will be a big help and maybe I'll show you how to paint or something

:.)
    Big Bob, slung down real hard

i dont want to sound like a smart ass but did you check the timing or are you burning a lot of oil, if so check your compresion it does sound like bad rings kinda

big BOB
    Timing is on the money, the engine is a goodwrench almost new, doe not even drip oil lots of compression, just spends over alot before firing up , then I have to disconnect the injectors to clear the cylinders to restart. I guess by the time I figure it out my headers,heads and crank should be back for my sm. blk!!!!!!!

does it do better when you clean up the plugs? and is it mainly when the engine is hot or cold?
    urbanchaosvideos.com

big BOB
    Ti does better when cold (first start in morning) after that you have to crank for about 10 seconds with the injectors unplugged, then replug the injectors and then retry. if it cranks , you have to hold the gas to clear the plugs but still hard to idle after that. It's driving me crazy! My partner has a v8 tunnel rammed vega that is a piece of cake compared to this!!!!! we,ve been thinking about maybe putting the motor in it (not really) Man I miss my ride!!!!!

check your fuel return lines it sounds like you got way to much fuel dumping in your engine
    urbanchaosvideos.com

Slow Ride
    idle solenoid? I had a similar problem on my Full size TBI truck.

can you tell me what you plugs look like any kind of abnoramalty deposits what ever
    urbanchaosvideos.com

big BOB
    just black and sooty, rubs right off. You may be right about the fuel return lines being crossed . will try to chech that out tomorrow and maybe change the idle sensor.

put a pressure to the lines to just to make sure they actually flow good

oh yea stupid me and since your plugs are a little sooty you might try a higher heat range plug. this alone could be the problem
    Last edited by pachuco; 07-30-2002 at 10:02 PM.
    urbanchaosvideos.com

big BOB
    Thanks for the input and will try different plugs. BTW the vapor canister has a lot of odd lines for me to figure out also. before I changed the engine from 2.8 to 5.7 I marked the cnnister lines
    but lost the index cards that I keep all my info on( yea I keep data
    files on everything, parts labor and people that are slow payers)
    any input on where the lines go? every one that I have seen are
    all carbureted and hook up different.

big BOB
    I bought new plugs today gapped them at 0.045 fired the little..... jewel up let it run for about 10 minutes, shut it down and the damn thing would not crank!!!!!!!!!!!@#$%^& So I am now thinking maybe I might need to replace the WHOLE damn
    TBI because its dumping too much fuel. the fuel lines are correct
    but I'm fouling out the plugs too fast... any suggestions???

you could have faulty injectors i dont remember off the top of my head how to check them its commone for those things to leak
    urbanchaosvideos.com

big BOB
    thanks I'm willing to try anything to cruise again. today I got so mad that I fixed the chips I made pulling the front off to put this engine in. it came out real nice, tomorrow I have a car to do and in between coats I'll check it out , or maybe rub out the blazer.