Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: lowering the front using bolts on torsion bar

Death to the 2.8 groceriesgofast's Avatar
    i found this on a recent post and it just goes to show that the keys suck just as much and doing it any other way....

Originally posted by lilbushhead
    I used lowering keys up front and when I first installed them I thought I was at 4 inches of lowering(thats what people say is safe) but when I drove it and then check everything I saw the axle lube all over the place.
    '84 2wd 2d 2.8 2.5"/3"
    '91 4WD 5 speed V8 4 DOOR *Stripped*

Fully Erect Member
    there was lube because the CV boot was probably ripped to begin with, and/or due for replacement. the problem with lowered s10 blazers is most of them done is done by people who dont take care of the whole suspension when they do it. mind the fact that alot of us pull our CV shafts out anyways. but it is stupid to drop a 100k+ S10 and not inspect bushings tierods balljoints and wheel bearings. IMO i wouldnt without changing the balljoints.

hi i'm from germany and i do a 4inch drop with the belltech keys and with screwing the bolts a little out! but what can broke on my driveshafts in the front?
    will the u joints broke or what else?

Originally posted by S10-Heizer
    hi i'm from germany and i do a 4inch drop with the belltech keys and with screwing the bolts a little out! but what can broke on my driveshafts in the front?
    will the u joints broke or what else?
    no, you wont break Ujoints for a while. lowering it will put them under a little excess stress and eventually you will have to correct your pinion angle(angle of drive shaft from axle to tranny) CV axles are what you gotta worry about. after about five inches (sometimes 4 + inches) the CV shafts are put at an extreme angle and they bust but at four inches i wouldnt worry about it. i have mine dropped 4.5/5 and its fine. not even a problems with my Ujoints. its the frount end you really gotta worry about. you will eat up tires and and ball joints after 4.5-5 inches lowering in the front. just check for binding up and (trust me, you'll know when it happens). and if your CV axles and ujoints already need replacing, expect them to go out sooner.
    '84 2wd 2d 2.8 2.5"/3"

yes i mean the cv axles! on that axles are u joints and my question is will that break or what on the axles? ok this with the balljoints is new for me but thank you!
    i want to bye these things which can break because to get spare parts in germany is not easy and you need very much time!

i hope you understand my english!

Originally posted by S10-Heizer
    yes i mean the cv axles! on that axles are u joints and my question is will that break or what on the axles? ok this with the balljoints is new for me but thank you!
    i want to bye these things which can break because to get spare parts in germany is not easy and you need very much time!

i hope you understand my english!
    Yeah, your english is good enough. They call them CV axles for Constant Velocity. I really doubt you will have any problems with ball joints at four inches or binding up but i have heard of it happening. If you hear a clicking or a popping sound from your front end when you turn then its probably a CV axle. check to see if the rubber boots are torn on the CV axles. If it is and the grease is gone, its probably shot but sometimes you can catch them early enough to just replace the boot. goodluck.
    '84 2wd 2d 2.8 2.5"/3"