Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Look to lower front

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Look to lower front

Updated the pics, sorry guys.

Well, people keep asking and cant seem to find the 20+ post with the info in it so ill just put some of it up in a single thread.

Here is 1 option to lower the front 1-6 inches (or so)

First off, to mess with the crossmember, on certain years you will have to cut out a section of the shield around the crossmember to get access. Dont worry about hacking a square out of it, not for structual integrity. To get a 5 inch drop, drill the new hole about 1/2 inch above the lip of the crossmember. After you put a GRADE 8 bolt through the new hole, let the truck down. Which ever side is higher, grind a hair off the hole on that side. You can use the adjuster bolt you took out, its perfect lenght, or you can get a 1/2 bolt or so to use. If you want to make it adjustable, get creative. Make the hole big enough to allow the block to set in to allow for factory adjustment (may not be able to get 5in.)Or you could weld the adjuster block underneath the crossmember and put a longer bolt in. Just do whatever you feel comfortable with or can think up, but the most simplest is drilling a single hole and putting a bolt through it.

Looking at it now it sure doesnt look the best!! lol
    I took a torch to that big ass shield a while back when i had my truck on the lift to get more clearance/weight reduction. i think 88 + or somthing like that have them??

View from underside - (not sure what that little square is cut out of the crossmember)

Front, pass side -

Rear pass side -

Another front side shot
    Last edited by Superbee; 08-04-2009 at 07:34 PM.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

hey will you post a pic of what your blazer looks like with the bolt and how many inches are you?
    Member Of Ridiculous Rides's Portland Or.
    Quote Originally Posted by tippmann243 View Post
    its ok i rode the short bus too

Banned
    Advantages:

You can lower the front from 1 to 6. The kit will only get you. (3")

Cost- under $10

Time- Should only take 30 mins to 2 hours depending on what tools and knowledge you have

-Dont have to disasyble anything

-Can easilly be taken back to stock

Disadvantages-

If you go 6" you might start breaking parts?
    Last edited by Superbee; 03-18-2006 at 12:24 PM.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

if i put bolts like you were you did can i keep the 4wd? cuz urs looks damn lowand how you adjust them just put a bolt up higher to be higher?
    Member Of Ridiculous Rides's Portland Or.
    Quote Originally Posted by tippmann243 View Post
    its ok i rode the short bus too

Banned
    FAQ:

What does a 3in drop look like with 17's (245/45/17 tires)
    What does a 5in drop look like with 17's

5 inch all around

What does a 5 in drop look like with stock tires

Will my 4wd still work?
    With a 3inch drop yes. I have used 4wd with a 4in drop about 3 times and it worked fine but im not sure if it would wear out or not. At 5 inches, the CV shafts were at exreme angles, so it probably wouldnt work.

Will it hurt anything to lower my truck 5 inches?
    It could, doing anything to your truck could break stuff. But will it? Probably not. Replace all the balljoints if they havent been. 5 inches puts some angle on the upper balljoint. Mine has been lowered 5 for over 3 years and i've replaced the balljoints 3 times to see how it affected them, 1st when i lowered it, 2nd after a couple months and the 3rd about 8months maybe?? and each time they look brand new.
    edit- been fine for at least 5-6 years now...

Feel free to criticize, add your own info/pics and questions.
    Last edited by Superbee; 06-11-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Banned
    Why is it bouncy/stiff??
    Why wont it go lower than 3 inches?
    Why is it clunking?

Any or all of the 3 are most likey the bumpstops (rubber snubbers on front and back to prevent too much travel)

For the front. Cut the mount AND BRACKET completly off. If not it wont go any lower than 3 inches or so. IF you dont cut the bracket off, it will hit the A-Arm and make a knocking sound.

For the back- Cut the bumpstop AND BRACKET off also. Then go and put a little aftermarket bumpstop in place in the frame. This will give your roughly 2inches travel in the back with a 5in drop. (Not very pleasing ride!) If you want to spent the time and money, get a C-notch from Suicide doors

Will my stock shocks work?

With a 3 in drop they will, not the best but they will.
    With a 5 in, they will crush (dont exactly know how to word it) Before i got my new ones, when i pulled the front out, they were broke inside and slid in and out feely with a cracking noise.

Get belltech part # ???? (for the back, i got a set of monroe shocks from the local part store because they were stiffer.
    Last edited by Superbee; 03-18-2006 at 12:23 PM.

Banned
    Will my tires wear out real fast?
    Can the alighn it?

No/yes

If you get it alighned the tires wont wear out, at 5 inches they wont be able to get it perfectly in spec but dang close.

How does it ride? The front rides about the same. Like an 80's blazer:)
    Last edited by Superbee; 01-27-2006 at 11:18 PM.

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    4.5 drop i broke 3 sets of half shafts... 4wd lowering no more
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

thanks for the info and pics of your crossmember mods Superbee...What shocks did you use up front? I think I am going to give the mod a whirl tomorrow.:bigthumb: :bigthumb:
    I don't FAIL...
    I succeed in finding what doesn't work!!!

Banned
    Hey phat, did they break just driving or 4wd engauged? Im kinda glad I took mine out.

Banned
    U bet, i used the belltech nitro drop shocks but i cant remember the name.

I know which shocks they are. I thought maybe you found a diferent shock that I could purchase over the counter. thanks anyway.
    I don't FAIL...
    I succeed in finding what doesn't work!!!

Banned
    well, for the back i did, (and you could do the same for the front)

I think they were the monroe sensatrac, somthing like 39 bux and they had lifetime warrenty. Just tell them the lenght/ and the mounting styles, and they will match a shock up in the book.

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    Originally posted by Superbee
    Hey phat, did they break just driving or 4wd engauged? Im kinda glad I took mine out.
    driving and one time while in 4wd
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Banned
    only thing i can think of is they were contaminated and wore out, and lowering finished them off?