Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: engine stops rotating at 180 degrees

i dont know about the clearances in those motors..but are you surrrre the cam isnt 180* off?..

i know that in hondas and some other cars that if the timing belt breaks, the valves can bend cus of the piston HITTING the valve...

(the cam goes out of time ...)

My avalanche,totaled 8( POSblazer's Avatar
    If the cam is off, it's off by 360* not 180*, if the marks line up.
    Last edited by POSblazer; 02-18-2006 at 05:26 AM.
    Update:My avalanche was totaled by my ex-gf. My business is in ruins. I now plan on finishing the engine repairs to my Saturn, and sell it. Once I get the bills paid off, I'm going to fix my Blazer.
    History:I bought a 2001 saturn sc2, then a 2005 avanche 1500 2wd, then a '87 S10 blazer 2dr 2wd on 07/24/2010, and on 04/01/2011 a '84 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd V8 drag racer(sort of)

not if he has them incorrectly lined up... like both at the top.. thats how a honda lines up.

I posted a link to a pic in my last post. It shows the marks. It also shows how the gears should be lined up. If you read the first post you will notice it's a chevy not a honda.
    Update:My avalanche was totaled by my ex-gf. My business is in ruins. I now plan on finishing the engine repairs to my Saturn, and sell it. Once I get the bills paid off, I'm going to fix my Blazer.
    History:I bought a 2001 saturn sc2, then a 2005 avanche 1500 2wd, then a '87 S10 blazer 2dr 2wd on 07/24/2010, and on 04/01/2011 a '84 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd V8 drag racer(sort of)

i understand that i am not looking at a honda. um.. honda's dont have timing CHAINS. im just saying the guy might have been incorrect in the assembly of his motor. i find it very very hard to believe that rust is keeping him from turning over his motor.

He's already said that it will now turn. It wasn't earlier. Now he's having problems with it not starting. Since he worked on the timing, of course the timing is most likely the problem.
    Blazin, HERE is the pic again. You should make sure that the marks line up like in the pic. Also, make sure that your distributor is timed correctly. That could be off as well.
    Last edited by POSblazer; 02-19-2006 at 08:42 AM.

It's all about to change winditup57's Avatar
    Basically, find top dead center on #1 cylinder,(compression stroke) take the cap off and see if the rotor is pointing to #1 and if not, pull the distributor out and re-adjust it. You will only have to pull it out far enough to get the gear to turn, and use the rotor to turn it. If you get it close and it wont fall down all the way, have a buddy tap the starter over till it slides down. Put the cap back on and see if it will fire then.

Edit..if you have to tap the starter...hold the distributors base down otherwise it will spin it out of the hole.