Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: convert 4x4 to 4x2

convert 4x4 to 4x2

So, I'm having a tough time finding the 2wd blazer I want. I guess everyone around here thinks that somehow 4x4 makes them good drivers in the snow or something. Whatever. :) Anyway, I'm looking for a blazer to drop a 358 and 4L60e into. I've got the drivetrain just sitting here in the garage, and it's killing me to not have it in a vehicle. I could find a pickup easy enough, but I've already got an El Camino and a full-sized truck, and I'm want to replace my Caprice wagon with something that has enclosed carrying capacity. :)

Since I really don't care about the 4wd, I thought maybe I could just swap the suspension with the stuff from a 2wd truck? Is it possible to, say, buy the Air Ride tubular control arms and bolt them on after I throw the 4wd stuff away? The kit comes with shockwaves and the upper shock mount - is it just a bolt on (and chase with the welder) deal? Or is it more complicated than that?

As far as the rear end goes, that's the same either way, right? So I could use pretty much any air ride kit for a 2wd on the 4wd rear?

Thanks.

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    the front clips are compelty different..2wd front suspension parts will not interchance to 4wd frame

if u could find a 2wd s10 get the front frame clip and splice it into the 4wd blazers frame.. however the trans crossmember will be dif to bolt up a 2wd trans if u went that route, and need to be modified to work.

after the trans crossmember back the frame is exactly the same weather its 2wd or 4wd.
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

I've seen people cut the half shafts and leave the hub to convert but its kinda cobbled. if u go that route you must leave the outer cv joint because that is what holds the hub to the spindle..Definitely the inexpensive route but definitely cobbled.
    Good Luck
    AND REMEMBER "WITH A TORCH AND A WELDER ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!"
    Stroke ME!!!:D :smoker:
    1986 2dr 2WD S10 Blazer
    1989 E/C 4WD S10 P/U
    1995 E/C 2WD Silverado
    1994 Chevrolet Beretta
    1997 Hyundai Elantra

I'm not concerned about the trans crossmember, since I'll be making a new one anyway. But the other part being different sucks.

So, is the frame actually shaped differently in the front where it supports the front suspension, or it is just a matter of the mounts being different? If they're dimensionally the same, it shouldn't be a big deal to just weld on the brackets for the A-arms.

Maybe it's time to visit the junkyard with a tape measure to see just what differs. It's been a while since I've looked under *any* S10/S15...

Thanks.

Originally posted by biggcheif
    I've seen people cut the half shafts and leave the hub to convert but its kinda cobbled. if u go that route you must leave the outer cv joint because that is what holds the hub to the spindle..Definitely the inexpensive route but definitely cobbled.
    Good Luck
    AND REMEMBER "WITH A TORCH AND A WELDER ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!"
    No way I'm gonna have something on the vehicle that isn't functional - If I'm gonna have 4wd hubs and CV joints, then by damn, those front wheels are gonna be powered. :) Besides, doesn't that leave the bearings open to the environment, probably causing premature failure?

Waaaaay too much work involved. Just find a 2WD truck.

Try autotrader.com. I had a "must have" list a mile long for my truck, and I managed to find 4 of them (although the closest was 1100 miles away). Still, to have a vehicle shipped is alot easier and cheaper than what you are planning.

Keep scouring the bone yards and you will find a 2WD frame.

I'm in the Quad Cities and 2WD 4DR are rare. I finally found one in Washington, Iowa. $200 for a rolling chassis. Worth the drive and money in my opinion.

Lots of junk yards have web pages now.

A frame swap sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't. Besides, when you've got a chassis with no body, you can "pretty it up" easily before the body goes on, and installing the engione and trans is a lot easier.

Originally posted by Fast Eddie
    Waaaaay too much work involved. Just find a 2WD truck.

Try autotrader.com. I had a "must have" list a mile long for my truck, and I managed to find 4 of them (although the closest was 1100 miles away). Still, to have a vehicle shipped is alot easier and cheaper than what you are planning.
    I checked Autotrader. I just want a 2wd 2 door. There's *one* within 200 miles, and it's already had a V8 conversion (a real hack job, based on the pictures). I'm unwilling to drive 3 hours, and shipping a vehicle adds about a grand to the cost. That thousand dollars could get lots of other things that I find cooler than a little saved time. I've bought multiple running cars for less than that. :D

Besides, it's hard to walk away from a sale when you've bought a one-way plane ticket to look at a vehicle (never mind that I don't fly) or paid for a hotel room after driving 5 hours. And if eBay's taught me anything, it's that people lie, so there's no way I'm buying any car without looking at it in person first...

Maybe I'll just build up a 4x4 after all. It's been a while since I last went off-road. :)

Originally posted by cloudmaster
    I'm not concerned about the trans crossmember, since I'll be making a new one anyway. But the other part being different sucks.

So, is the frame actually shaped differently in the front where it supports the front suspension, or it is just a matter of the mounts being different? If they're dimensionally the same, it shouldn't be a big deal to just weld on the brackets for the A-arms.

Maybe it's time to visit the junkyard with a tape measure to see just what differs. It's been a while since I've looked under *any* S10/S15...

Thanks.
    it is 100% different from firewwall forward
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

ok to make it clear on the difference...

2wd...

4wd

Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

phatfarmer2 do you still have that 4x4 front section i want it ! lol

and i got a blazer 4 sell it has a 350 4 bolt main brand spanking new you could sell it well enough .... it has received a frame off restoration air brush all around and under the hood ... all new re-upholstered interior ......... its an 83 2wd skinnies up front 275 in the rear ... apraised at 8 550 $ c.a.d. .... but im from Ottawa canada ( well close to ) ..... and probably wont be able to sell it .... ill have to big block it
    ------------------------------------------
    2000 Chevrolet S-10 4.3L Xtreme Supercharged shaved slammed
    1988 Chevrolet S-10 350 c.i.d.
    1983 Chevrolet Blazer 350 c.i.d. SOLD
    <-~Jo~->

So you're saying that I'll need gloves to work on a 4wd, but 2wd frames are really clean and shiny? Or that 4wds are unibody-based and have only one core support? :D

^^^^^wrong in both case ! ill let him explain it
    2000 Chevrolet S-10 4.3L Xtreme Supercharged shaved slammed
    1988 Chevrolet S-10 350 c.i.d.
    1983 Chevrolet Blazer 350 c.i.d. SOLD
    <-~Jo~->

Originally posted by <-~Jo~->
    ^^^^^wrong in both case ! ill let him explain it
    Next time I'll use two smilies. :)

I forgot that there are people on this board who would seriously ask that question...

hey are the body mounts on a 4 door 4wd and a 4 door 2wd. the same. reason i am asking is because i would like to just get a 2wd frame and trans and pu tmy body on it. reason being is ive done a ton of work to my blazer. everything is shaved. so i dont want to do all that work all over againg just to bag it.
    my blazer as of last summer

4wd blazer under major construction, shaving door handles, hood squirters, antenna, roof rack, gas door, tail lights, tail gate, and rear bumper.