Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 355 Still flooding

355 Still flooding

My 355 is still flooding on my truck. This time it flooded by only using the key to start it and not using the gas pedal at all. Well it didn't start and it flooded it. I replaced the spark plugs, it wasn't missing ALL of the cylinders this time but I still can't get it to start and run good. If I do get it started I have to hold the throttle 1/2 way and it runs at about 1000 rpms, but obviously is just pushing more fuel in some cylinder that is not running. Why would it be flooding? I'm not using that air canister whatever the hell it is.
    Other things I'm bitching about:
    Engine takes several turn-overs to get started when it's functioning properly, It's TBI, so obviously it shouldn't be doing this.
    Uses a shit load of gas when running.
    Please help, I'm sick of this shit.

Banned
    yeah, for some reason when i start my truck when its cold several of the cylinders will flood out and it will sound like it has a drag cam for sevaral minuits untill it warms up, pisses my off too. (new fuel system, rebuilt tbi, new ignition system, several different proms (factory and stock) several temp sensors.....ect:rolleyes:

But, check one thing, when you start it, look the injectors over REAL close and see if its dripping in some fuel, the injector seals tend to go bad sometimes. Are you sure its flooding out and not starving for fuel? Right when it does this, shut if off and check some plugs and see if they are wet.

What milage you getting? Im getting comb hy/city 13mpg:mad:

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Banned
    oh yeah, i recently took the charcol canister off to clean the engine bay up and it didnt make a difference so I doubt thats it.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Believe me, it's flooding. I checked my dipstick and my "oil" was 1" above the full mark, and it was oil/gas shit.
    To cream the cake, I was heading to my girlfriend's house eariler and I get in my daily driver Chrysler, AND THAT BITCH WON'T START EITHER. Fucking retarded.

Every time I stop trying to start the truck and I go look inside the throttle body, I see gas sitting on top of the butterflies, So I'm thinking you were right on the seals on the injectors are leaking. Thanks a lot for saying that.

If I replace the oxygen sensor, will that affect how much fuel is injected initially at startup or not? My truck is getting too much fuel and it is choking the engine. If I try to start it, then disconnect the fuel injectors, it then starts and runs, then stalls. Thanks.

It's all about to change winditup57's Avatar
    That might work. I know it effects the gas, just not sure on the startup...for the few bucks they cost...wouldnt hurt really to try..

Originally posted by winditup57
    That might work. I know it effects the gas, just not sure on the startup...for the few bucks they cost...wouldnt hurt really to try..
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if it is used at startup at all or not, but I'm bidding on one on ebay so I might as well try. Probably fried this one from flooding it forever.

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    O2 sensors have nothing to do with start up.

How much fuel pressure do you have? Check the regulator?
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Originally posted by Catching Second
    O2 sensors have nothing to do with start up.

How much fuel pressure do you have? Check the regulator?
    Don't have a regulator. Had a 2.2 4 cylinder and still running that fuel pump on it. Let me see what the difference in fuel pressure was...
    Yeah.... What method should I use to decrease fuel pressure? Just a regulator? And can I put that underneath the vehicle?
    Last edited by lycan; 03-07-2006 at 06:28 PM.

Banned
    you have a regulator built into the throttle body. You have to take it partially apart to access it. That probably not your problem though if its been untouhed.

Banned
    I have a question, does it ever run right? And if so, how long after you start it.

Originally posted by Superbee
    I have a question, does it ever run right? And if so, how long after you start it.
    Yeah, I've had it running right, but I think it was using way too much gas. And the first time I started it, I couldn't turn it off (hehe), so it ran for about 10 minutes fine. :eek:
    It's just that after I flood it once by pumping the gas when I'm starting it, it won't start for weeks, And I always take the plugs out, make sure they're not fouled, put oil in each cylinder, crank it a few times, put the plugs back in, and nodda :nono:. It makes me sad. And are you SURE the throttle body has a built in regulator?
    Last edited by lycan; 03-07-2006 at 07:31 PM.

Banned
    Im positive, i made mine adjustable, the regualtor is not your problem, you have somthign alot more serious. If you cant even get it running, are you sure your getting spark?? Is your ignition module bad maybe?

Originally posted by Superbee
    Im positive, i made mine adjustable, the regualtor is not your problem, you have somthign alot more serious. If you cant even get it running, are you sure your getting spark?? Is your ignition module bad maybe?
    I can start it by turning it over once, and removing the injector connections, then starting it, or using starter fluid. Otherwise it gets too much fuel. SOOOOOOO obviously the spark plugs are fine, along with the rest of the ignition system.