Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teach me about primer and paint!

Originally posted by 94blz327
    Wax and grease removers: Use these at all stages, even before sanding the first time on your existing finish. You dont want to push wax into the sanding scratches, paint will not stick to wax.

NOO do not use wax and grease removers (final klean, final wipe) at the clear coat stage. putting this on base coat will take it right off.
    -1995 Blazer LT 4x4 4door-
    -1970 Nova 355 ci-

As I mentioned, I left out many details. Obviously you would not use prep sol between topcoats, but you would use it before top coating. Tack rags are used between all your color and clear coats to remove the dust before the next layer is applied.

I fixed the original post to clarify what all stages means.

ok cool :) I just didnt want somebody to go and try to put clear on and use final klean on base coat, but I knew what you were getting at.
    Last edited by 95blzr4x4; 03-04-2006 at 01:15 PM.
    -1995 Blazer LT 4x4 4door-
    -1970 Nova 355 ci-

good info guys, PS mike i dunno if you bought any guns yet, but the 3 gun set at my work is $217 bucks with 2 fullsize guns, with one with 1.4 and 1.7 tips on the other, with 1L aluminum cups, a touch up gravity feed gun with aluminum cup with a 1.0 mm nozzle i believe and a regulator.
    Originally posted by lycan
    I've been pwnd

What brand/model were they again?

vaper by titan. there not good for everyday usage (ie dont make a living on them) but they arent the crappiest either
    I've been pwnd

Okay well I bought the DevilBiss Finishline 3 with a 1.3 mm tip. Im also gonna get a 2.2 i think for filler primer/sealer. Also, I stumbled across this page for anyone interested. Some good advice on the site, especially in regards to block sanding.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/24820/

SHH sneek peek for BL members only :rofl:
    door panels will be getting some new tweed and handles soon once i get the design down. but for now enjoy

after:

Before:

visit my site:
    My CarDomain site www.cardomain.com/id/lowblazer84

Body drop progress
    http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...20Body%20Drop/
    looks good :bigthumb:

2.8L v-6
    Bagged :D
    upcoming : sealing up floor and start interior

it looks like your paint job came out nice.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!NEW PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    mycardomainpage

dc those are a set of guns i have they arent bad. deffinatly not the best but spray really nice. i have some pics after today.

but im only using a single stage bc, no clear
    Quote Originally Posted by bayhustle81 View Post
    can i add the vortec to this 4.3 if it didnt come with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post

yea ive never used em, but they do look decent enough
    I've been pwnd

Okay my devilbiss gun is on the way. As for paint, I need some tips. At my buddies paint shop we painted his show car with almost all dupont stuff. We used 'Mar-Hyde Ultimate 2K Urethane Primer Surfacer' first as a high build, then sanded that to 400, then used 'Nason Full-Seal Select' as sealer, then sprayed some 'hot hues' paint on. I am gonna go the same route with the primer and surfacer I think. However, his paint was uber expensive. I want something cheaper and will give a good finish. Any suggestions? Also what are you opinions on the primer and sealer selected?

DuPont is a good product to use. I had used the DuPont line for a few years then went back to the PPG brand. For me, I had better luck with PPG, not that I had any problems with the DuPont, just my preference. The DuPont Chroma series paints will give you excellent results. You would use the Chroma-base and Chroma Clear product if going base clear (which most people do) or they also have nice Urethane enamels. Going with base/clear gives you the option to buff out the clear with better results than trying to color sand and buff out a enamel.

The Hot-Hues paints are really nice, (and spendy) similar to the House of Kolors type paints. Save those for when you are doing high end work, and have alot of experience. Spendy stuff to reshoot if you don't like the results the first time.

Your choice of primer and sealer are fine. Good products to work with. Again, keeping the same line of products is best.

Here is a link to the Chroma series information from DuPont. You should be able to find most of the info you need here.

Chroma paint

Dang link did not go where I wanted it to, so once you bring up this page, click on Automotive Finishes, then the products button, then on the left menu, select Technical Info. This should list the available products and such.

If you do not want to use DuPont, you could try the Omni line of paints. They are made by PPG, spray similar to the PPG line of products, and are about 1/2 the cost.

Believe it or not, you will develop a preference for a brand of paint the more you do this stuff. Everything from how to mix, what to mix, which spray tip, air pressure, humidity, temp.... you get the idea, will affect your choices in the products you use. The day you decide to paint will determine which reducers you use, speed that you will apply the paint, etc.

Well, looks like a book again so I will quit for now...
    Last edited by 94blz327; 03-14-2006 at 09:15 AM.

thats what i was gonna suggest. omni by ppg. I love their sealers.

now when you say better results with buffing a bc cc instead of an enamal single stage. ive done both and didn't really notice a big diffrence. What are some of the things that can go wrong when buffing a single stage?
    Quote Originally Posted by bayhustle81 View Post
    can i add the vortec to this 4.3 if it didnt come with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post

My truck right now is sprayed with Omni. good paint cheap price too. its been about a year and half and its holding up strong, very easy to spray but may need a few more coats to cover. This time around though im going to use Sikkens since thats what i work with and it was free :D
    visit my site:
    My CarDomain site www.cardomain.com/id/lowblazer84

Body drop progress
    http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...20Body%20Drop/
    looks good :bigthumb:

2.8L v-6
    Bagged :D
    upcoming : sealing up floor and start interior