Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rear End Width

Banned
    yeah, and how much shorter will it make it also?

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

long axle is 2 7/8ths inch longer .... So I had the long tube cut down that much and then had the housing and tubes welded together while it was in the jig for the narrowing. 2 7/8ths make a heck of a difference when your trying to tuck tire instead of having it sticking out.

Banned
    so, what was the machine shop charges for everything if you dont mind?

Can you list what costed what? im trying to decide what i can afford to do.

Thanks.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Originally posted by Superbee
    so, what was the machine shop charges for everything if you dont mind?

Can you list what costed what? im trying to decide what i can afford to do.

Thanks.
    You should be able to score a 3:73 posi rear for around $100 at a local pick ur part. Avoiding the bent or really wrecked trucks. 4:10's are rare. But as previously mentioned a L denotes posi.
    just grab a extra short side axle and admire how much larger those are than your little 26-28 spline ones.

I took mine to a professional race car shp to have it Narrowed.
    They checked it for straightness since they had to align the tubes perfectly anyway cut and narrowed it for $200 (the one pictured is narrowed the perches had yet to even be welded on it, you can't even see the welds after he cut it,sleeved it, Tig welded it and finish grinded it ) This price included welding the tubes to the housing since they are known to twist in some instances.
    Last edited by James 68; 04-21-2006 at 10:34 PM.

Banned
    ahhh, i dont think the pic loaded. But, i dont think ill have enough to get it narrowed.

I can only find the rear for $250. The price for another axle, price for axles to be redrilled, price to have it narrowed and perch rewelded= way to much probably.

I'm running welds dbp wheels so the bolt pattern didn't really matter to me. dig deeper for a pic your part most cities have a cheap one and just pull the extra axle and shove it in your housing while throwing the old one out before you pay for it. Save you some money but good professional narrowing (welding)cost's the guy charged $60 a hour. I did the perches myself at 0 degrees because the springs gave me 4 degrees negative. new oerches are $20 a set or if your really good you can reuse the old ones. either way good luck with what you plan. This all still ads up to about the price of a good posi and set-up.

btw moser redrills axles for $69 pr + shipping

SO do you have to narrow the one side??? or can you leave it stock (is this different for drum/disk rears)?

I have had one of each narrowed the disc and drum brake rears ar the same width. You can just bolt it in and use a lot of backspace to come up with something that may suit you. even after cutting 2 7/8ths off one tube and using 5 1/2 backspace wheels my my 15X8 weld wheels with 28x10 slick fit flush or just inside the body. unnarrowed they would be sticking 1 1/2 further out which IMO wouldn't look right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the earlier pic if it takes note perches were yet to be added
    Attached Images Attached Images

James 68 -- you say that the rear are the same width wither drum/disk, what measurement did you get? (mounting to mounting place),
    im assuming you are using the disk brake setup??

Banned
    yeah, when i measured, the disks were wider?? You can say for a fact they are the same where the wheel bolts to?? Nice rears btw.

Sperbee - uve been pm'd

Well here is my 2 cents - i talked to superbee and he agrees.

He is running a 8" rim with 6" backspace on a stock 4x4 rear. IF the explorer rear is 59" and the s10 4x4 is 59 1/2" - youd save 1/2 there.
    So there for is it safe to say that if you run an eplorer 8.8 with a 5.75" backspacing your wheels would be no farther sticking out then in superbees pics ??

Banned
    ok, +38 mm panda, so whatever that translates to english measurement.

Originally posted by panda_man22
    Well here is my 2 cents - i talked to superbee and he agrees.

He is running a 8" rim with 6" backspace on a stock 4x4 rear. IF the explorer rear is 59" and the s10 4x4 is 59 1/2" - youd save 1/2 there.
    So there for is it safe to say that if you run an eplorer 8.8 with a 5.75" backspacing your wheels would be no farther sticking out then in superbees pics ??
    Your comparing apples and oranges there. My wheels are 15X8 with 5 1/2 inch backspace with a 275/60/15 or 28/10.5 slick. My wheel tire combo will bulge some my actual outside lip of my rim sits in maybe 1 inch from the outside edge of the truck.

His rims are taller less sidewall and very little if any bulge.

In my case if I was to put a stock width rear under my truck it would stick out 1 1/2 inches more per side than the pic I posted above. Unacceptable to me.

if you are coming up with the disc brake rear being wider it is only because of the rotor thickness. everything else is the same width axles housing etc.

A stock explorer rear is a hair over 59"s