Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shaved bodyline how to.. weld version

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar

shaved bodyline how to.. weld version

ok so this comes up at least once every 2 weeks on here, so i decided to do a lil how to. this is the welding version of shaving bodylines...

i feel just filling ur bodylines with filler is ghetto and it will crack... however, if u insist to use filler to shave it , I would at least weld the rear bodyline on the cab, thats where the most flexing is going to happen. all the rest of the panels are independant and flexing is at a minimum...

but yeah this how to isnt about just slapping bondo on ur shit... this is how to weld it up..

so here we go...

grind all your paint off of the area where u are going to be welding, ( i however decided to strip the panels to bare metal)

next use some weld through primer like this....

spray it on the body line where there is bare metal... this will prevent rust underneath

now get some sheetmetal and cut it exacly about an 1/8 smaller then the size of the bodyline... this will be ur filler piece. make sure u spray the back side with some self etching primer too!

now tac your strip of metal in. you will notice when you tac it it will make the metal filler peice warp, you need to hold it and bent it straight as the weld cools. hard to understand but if u actully do this you will under stand, make sure to keep your welds far apart! it will look liek this,

now take ur time and weld it competly up.. it will look liek this but the welds will be completly touching (dont have a finished welding pic of the welds)

Now once ur all welded up, take a grinder with a 36 grit sand paper disc and grind the welds down, but make sure not to warp the metal.. take you time and you wont warp it...

once thats done its filler time... if you took ur time and did it right you should have to use not a rediculous amount of filler prime it and bam ur good to go!

good luck!
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

One thing that really helps against warping is to place a flat brass object, the thicker the better, about 1/8" next to the location of the tack weld This acts as a heatsink and keeps the metal flat against the surface while keeping the surrounding metal cool enough to not cause any warping.

I use the pawn from an old, huge chess set that I found at a yard sale for $5, I just placed the bottom against a belt sander to clean it up and it works great.

It also works awesome as a backing surface when plugging up small holes with MIG

It's all about to change winditup57's Avatar
    Where would I find this "Weld Seal"? I have never seen that before..although I have never looked either.

Appearently you can weld right through it?

who unstickied this?
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

What do you use to cut the metal Martin?
    VLAD

My 95

Originally posted by winditup57
    Where would I find this "Weld Seal"? I have never seen that before..although I have never looked either.

Appearently you can weld right through it?
    with weld through primer your supposed to use it behind your weld in areas that cant be reached after welding. Your not supposed to weld directly on it you should be welding on only bare metal.
    06 ccsb 2/5 drop, SS 20's, 370, L92 Heads, LT's/ORY, 237/242 .603/609 112, 2pc. driveshaft, 4l80e, 3500 stall, 12.8 @ 106

Camaro Roadster Buggy
    DailyGrindFabrication

A word about grinding the welds, if I may. . . .

First, use those flapper sanding discs, 36 or 80 grit. DO NOT use a grinding disc. They create too much heat for sheet metal work and they're not too smooth either. Remember, you can warp the metal if you get it too hot at this stage.

The tendency is to concentrate on the welds. If you do that you will end up with a dip where you welded and ground it down. Not good. Keep the grinder moving in long even strokes, working the welded area into the surrounding metal. Don't see how fast you can grind the welds down, take it slow. The goal here is to use little, if any, filler.

Nice thread. I wish I would have know some of this stuff before I started welding the Bravada shut. Next time I'll know.

Originally posted by x_concepts
    Depending on how big and thick - I use aviation snips or a jig saw with GOOD metal blades. The pieces he used for the body line I assume he used a jig saw (at least I would have). Aviation or tin snips would have created a big curly strip of metal that would have to be straightened or flattened before welding. No sense creating more work.

Originally posted by 4.3 zach
    with weld through primer your supposed to use it behind your weld in areas that cant be reached after welding. Your not supposed to weld directly on it you should be welding on only bare metal.
    right.. i did a few tacs then took a wire brush and wiped away the excess.

Originally posted by x_concepts

grinder with a cut off wheel..... pieces stayed nice and straight..
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Re: shaved bodyline how to.. weld version

Originally posted by phatfarmer2
    that doesn't look like it was wire brushed

Re: Re: shaved bodyline how to.. weld version

Originally posted by s10blaza
    that doesn't look like it was wire brushed

may not look like it but it sure is compare the second to last and the last pic... :bigthumb:
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

dont know if its true but i heard that you will get less destortion if you cut out the body line because the metal cant expand and contract or something like i said dont kanow if its true, it was explaned to me about shaving handles tho

Under Construction 98low4x4blazer's Avatar
    nice how to, looks good. and i would definetly recomend the flapper discs
    pic's of what my blazer used to be
    Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=22972

custom parts are built not bought

When its done, you'll wish it was yours.

Originally posted by lowcalcustoms
    dont know if its true but i heard that you will get less destortion if you cut out the body line because the metal cant expand and contract or something like i said dont kanow if its true, it was explaned to me about shaving handles tho

absolutly not true.. it would created more distortion. the body line acts as a ribbed section and gives the panel some strength, so when welding on it you have a less chance of warping it as opposed to the section cut out.
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Under Construction 98low4x4blazer's Avatar
    Originally posted by phatfarmer2
    absolutly not true.. it would created more distortion. the body line acts as a ribbed section and gives the panel some strength, so when welding on it you have a less chance of warping it as opposed to the section cut out.
    martin is right
    pic's of what my blazer used to be
    Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=22972

custom parts are built not bought

When its done, you'll wish it was yours.