Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Filling Roof Rack Holes

Must be nice. I still have to come up with the money to get things like that.

www.cardomain.com/ride/1169679
    Check out my ride.

a got it back when I was married. now I have very little funds to do anything.
    I don't FAIL...
    I succeed in finding what doesn't work!!!

I'm married and have a total of 5 kids. Well that's all I'm gonna say.

Check out my ride.

oh very understandible. I"m not married any more and have a shit load of med bills and expensive meds to take. FIve mouths to feed will take the wind out of your sales cash wise. especialy if they eat like I did when I was a kid.:rofl:
    I don't FAIL...

Banned
    Be sure to use very good protection when welding that shut. If you dumb like me and use lots of blankets and cardboard you'll end up with little black burns in your glass from where the beads of metal rolled down.:rolleyes:

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

thats gotta suck...
    I don't FAIL...

i filled mine today and i just welded it and it came out pretty good...

Dent the holes in and fiberglass them, then kitty hair, then body filler.

Originally posted by Superbee
    Be sure to use very good protection when welding that shut. If you dumb like me and use lots of blankets and cardboard you'll end up with little black burns in your glass from where the beads of metal rolled down.:rolleyes:

same thing happened to me when I welded up my third brake light holes. The leather apron I had over the window slipped down a little so now I have those little beads all over the window

i didnt take down the headliner or cover the windows...i guess i see if i screwed anything up today when i start the grinding the welds...does any have any good ideas about filling the antenna hole i was thinking about making a plate clost to the hole and then just weld it in and grind away then some filler.....

if the only thing stopping you from getting those roof holes welded is the lack of experience or the lack of a welder just grind the bolt heads off like mentioned make sure you have a bare metal surface. take the truck to the closest body shop and they will weld those holes for you for less than 10 bucks since you already did all the prep work. take the truck home smooth off the welds, then use the bodyfiller and prime it and your done. there is a product made by 3M called insta-filler. its a green-ish color and its kinda like caulking. it will seal those holes if you dont want to weld them. but sanding that shit is no joke. take the time and get it welded, it lasts longer and in some half-cracked jobs you can tell.
    Don't make me beat you like a runaway slave....
    4 Door Love
    Originally posted by S/T Lover
    Good God, you are a fucking retard. I should ban you for being a fucking waste of sperm.

I'll add my 2cents as well, I would definately take out the headliner. It only takes an hour, and if you burn it up your going to have to remove it anyway to fix it, providing you did not burn the truck to the ground.

I also second the glass coverage. No matter how well I cover it, I always get some stupid spatter on it from either welding or grinding. Cover the carpets and seats too when welding.

It works best if someone holds a small backer of some type over the backside of the hole while you weld.

yea i did mine with the headliner in and with out a backer plate and it took a while to weld the bigger holes from the rack but i got it..the holes from the chrome things were easier then just filling i just tacked it on shot and it was done...

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    remove the headliner if you are going to weld, dont be stupid... and why risk destroying ur interior or whole truck just to save an hours worth of work to remove it...
    if you weld:
    have a buddy hold a piece of brass under the holes with a wet rag and weld it up...

or you could cut a small pices of metal and put it behind the hole, then weld it up...

as for just filling it with bondo.. i wouldnt

jb weld or something liek that.. ehh you might get away with that, but why risk it?

ur best bet is to have a body shop weld them up for you then do the finishing work.
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Deception, hey I'm sorry. The epoxy metal works better one the small holes on the roof. I did mine and I will have to weld 3 to 4 of the big holes shut. I didn't have a way to get them filled otherwise. As far as the body lines it will take alot of it to do the body lines and alot of time. I had to use two different tubes and the second one was one I had laying around and it wasn't as good as the first one. Plus it cooled off outside and it works better when it's warm or hot out. I have to work outside so it's not easy. Theres no way to block the wind. I have to do the best I can. Check out my thread if you want to see any pics.

Check out my ride.