Thread: shifter stuck in park! HELP!

shifter stuck in park! HELP!

Hey guys. Its been a long time since ive been on here. I have a problem and looking forward to any replies I can get!

I just bought a 98 GMC jimmy, 4 door, auto, floor shifter. The buttonon the shifter has been sticking and today its just stuck! After doing some reading I have discovered it could be a motor built into the shifter called BTSI (brake transmission shifter interlock) gone bad. Anyone else had any problems with this or know how to over ride it? Or maybe its something else? I dont know for sure! I dont want a safety feature that keeps me driving when it stops working anyway! From what I can tell there is a group of wires that plugs into the bottom of the shifter but when unplugged it still wont let me shift, OR release my key! Also, the shifter is stamped BRAVADA. does this mean its not original or what? Thanks in advance for any help! You guys are the best!

Registered User hotrodblazer4.3's Avatar
    I am not trying to be a smart ass here, but I trust you are depressing the brake pedal when you are trying to take it out of park. The Brake is what unlocks the shifter when everything is operating correctly. Also it may have been owner installed since it is a Bravada Shifter. So check to make sure everything is connected properly and that all connections are tight.
    The above opinion is my own and is subject to ridicule since age and experience mean nothing on these forums.

yeh, im pressing the brake, I finally found my owners manual and followed the instructions for override right after i first posted. It says to lift boot, push tab toward driver's side to disengage solenoid and shift into neutral; did not work! tried over and over!I guess its going to the dealership in the morning. none of the local mechanics seem to know anything about it. Thanks for your reply though. I will post the results in case anyone else ever runs into this problem. It seems very common for gm cars and trucks 95-up.

Ok, just got home from the dealership. I was the first truck in and the last truck to leave, (got in at 8am, left at 6:30pm). They had no idea what was going on so we decided to try replacing the entire gear shift assembly. Its about $190 + $180 labor and it needed to be special ordered. I went to every junk yard within 75 miles and found only 2 blazers with the shifter I needed out of the 20 or 30 blazers, bravadas, jimmys i looked at. Bone yard charged me $50 for a really great one and also found a complete black leather interior for my blazer for only $140 (2 front buckets, back seat, console, door panels, not a bad deal eh?) Replaced part and everything works fine.
    So if anyone else has this problem in the future: Pull up the leather boot around the shifter, theres a white plastic tab on the passenger side of the shifter (this is the manual override for the BTSI - brake transmission safety interlock), pull it toward the drivers side and if it does not go into gear, take apart console around shifter, pop off cable and with foot on brake pull it into drive to get it somewhere to get it fixed or the junk yard. and I hope this helps.