Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4wd to 2wd frame swap How To and then some

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar

4wd to 2wd frame swap How To and then some

ok this is a how to do a 2wd frame swap. for all you 4wd blazer owners who want to convert to 2wd, you have some options. most applies to 1st and 2nd gens, however some thing might not apply for a 2nd gen.

all options to convert to a 2wd from a 4wd are as follows along with the common myths that people hear.

1. a 4wd blazer and s10 can be converted to a 2wd frame easily, everything bolts on.
    2. s10 and blazer frames are not interchangable to use for a complete frame swap.
    3. 2wd control arms will not i repeat not fit on 4wd frames.
    difference shown here...
    2wd...

4wd

4. 2wd front clips from a s10 or blazer are the same suspension wise and mounting wise (from the front boyy mount forward)
    5. another way to convert to 2wd is to take a front clip from a 2wd s10 or blazer and graft it on to your existing 4wd frame.

-Now with that aside this how to will cover a 2wd frame swap.

First you need to find a 2wd donor. a complete truck is more helpful, since you will have all the pieces u need to swap it, plus extra parts help every now and then.. lol.

Reasons why u want a complete donor versus just a frame is this:
    1. you will need to use a 2wd trans since the tailshafts on a 2wd are longer and a 4wds tailshaft accepts a transfer case not a driveshaft. You can however have a 2wd tail shaft put into your 4wd trans, but that involves complete dissassmebly and a longer shaft and housing to be added to the trans, way to invloved and pretty much beyond any do it yourselfer, a transmisson shop would be able to handle this though. Also a 2wd drive drive shaft has to be used, the 4wd is way way to short.

2. You need to use a 2wd oil pan and oil sump pick up. the 2wd pan will and i repeat will not fit between the crossmember. also you need a 2wd dip stick, they are about an inch different, and will not read you oil level correctly if u use the 4wd one.

3. Fuel lines are different on a 2wd frame. On a 4wd they run along the frame and then turn right at the control arm and then follow there way up to the throttle body, however on a 2wd they run thought the frame then sneak there way throught the assessory engine driven brackets then up to the throttlebody.

4. If you want to remove the remote oil filter, you need a small nipple that threads into the block and then the oil filter will screw into that.

5. The exhaust is different, mainly the y pipe is different.

6. the rims are complety different

Ok now moving onto the disassembling of your donor. Remove the whole front clip (core support, fenders hood,radaitor). Disconnect the fuel lines and brake lines and plug them! You dont want fumes excaping or dirt gettin in them if you are going to uses them. Disconnect your trans kick down cable, heater core hoses,throttle cable, parking brake, wiring harness from the fire wall, and other misc wires that may run thought the fire wall in different spots, Dont forget the 02 sensor and the harness for the computer( you will need to disconnect it from inside the truck then feed the harness through its gromit) Disconnect the gas tank filler neck, and the plug at the back for the fuel pump. If you have a manual shifter for the trans u will need to remove the console and the boot plus the wiring.

Now you can remove the 8 body mounts holdin the body on. (10 if you count the rad support) once thats done check to make sure everyhting is disconnected, and you should be ready to remove the body

Removal of the body can be done many ways. You can get at least 5-6 friends and lift the body off (removing the doors and tailgate will reduece some weight plus the interior too). if you can get any friends you can use some jacks and some blocks of wood or some other type of material to jack the body up and get it high enough to roll the farem out.

Once you have succesfully rolled the chassis out you can rip into you 4wd truck. do the exact same thing as your donor in disassembly. once thats done you can transfer over your motor and trans, and whatever else such as gas tank.

Now that ur engine and trans is installed get ur buddys back to help u move the body or get back to the jacks and blocks of wood method. Roll the new chassis back under and set it down on the frame, make sure to get it pretty close to where the body mounts are. Once you have it set down, get underneath and line up the holes for the body mounts and put your bolts back in.

Then you can reinstall all ur wiring, lines front clip, and whatever else you took off in disassembly.

Finally some isssues you may run into which i did, if your going from a donor with abs to a truck with no abs you will need to remake the brake line to mate up with your stock proportiong valve. If you have a maunual 4x4 shifter, u will need to weld up the hole in the floor where the shifter was. Also you may run into speedometer pick up sensor probs... you may ned to run the chevy deal and get the correct pickup sensor.

Well there u have it from start to finish thats whats involved. Its not to hard and can be accomplised with no problem. Good luck and enjoy the life of a 2wd and slamm the fuck outta it! Or bag it!
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

nice info phat, thanks. I vote sticky:bigthumb:

yeah i want to sticky this too.. but im not a supermod...:(
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

ride the spiral SoulsAflame4135's Avatar
    just to add, the wheels are not completely different. they are the same bolt pattern, just spaced differently. A 2" spacer will let you bolt your 4x4 wheels to your 2wd chassis.

martin i would like to comment about 2wd fuel lines,

the fuel lines change some where in the 91-93 model year for the 2wd

my 93 the lines run up next to the trans and into the back of the throttle body.

on my dads 91 the lines run through the frame and snake up throught the accessories and then to the back of the tbi unit

cool guys add anything else you like
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

That's how we swapped..

As like he explained..
    READ this if u have complaint of my post that dont make sense
    http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152215&page=3&pp=30

Starting this saturday, i will be starting a project like this, a friend of mine has a 96 4dr 2wd blazer, that is lifted 6", and wants it to be a 4wd, and i want to drop my Bravada and make it 2wd, so he proposed a frame swap. Works out for the both of us.

Ill be upgrading to C5 front/LS1 f-body rear brakes, and it will be a 4/6 drop give or take. Im thinking about using a SD triangulated 4 link with some firestone 9000 bags on the rear, and the front will be 2in 98+ blazer spindles and 2in springs, till i can get some more cash to finish bagging it fully.
    Mike
    1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492
    Full Resto w/383 E85 LM7/T56
    License Plate= CRN FED
    Working on it slowly but surely.

1992 GMC Typhoon #1104

2003 Silverado Ext Cab
    Daily driver

Member of H.A.S.T.E.
    www.h-a-s-t-e.com

My turn

I read this post awhile ago and thought to myself who would go through all this trouble. Well, last night I bought a 4X4 blazer for $100 that has a much better body, paint and especially the interior over my 2wd Blazer. I also has a few options my 2 wheeler doesn't. So, I'm looking at doing this swap and am now very grateful for this sticky.

But I have a question on the fuel line. If I'm only swapping the body do I need to disconnect the fuel line? Also, the 4X4 is a 2.8 auto and the 2wd is a 4.3 auto. Is the wiring to the ECM different or is all I have ot do is swap the computer chip?

yeah a frame and or body swap is alot of work, especially when you get all the suspension installed for a static drop, and then decide to rip it all out and just bag it. Im hoping to have mine finsihed up this weekend, but with all the rain we have been having its makes it hard to get any work done.
    Mike
    1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492
    Full Resto w/383 E85 LM7/T56
    License Plate= CRN FED
    Working on it slowly but surely.

1992 GMC Typhoon #1104

2003 Silverado Ext Cab
    Daily driver

Member of H.A.S.T.E.
    www.h-a-s-t-e.com

Which 2wd Drive shafts will work on a 4dr Jimmy? Just a 2wd Blazer/Jimmy shaft or will one of the pickup shafts work..

Quote Originally Posted by Ordie View Post
    Which 2wd Drive shafts will work on a 4dr Jimmy? Just a 2wd Blazer/Jimmy shaft or will one of the pickup shafts work..
    i belive just 4 door 2wd blazers work... best bet is to measure first
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

2... the 2wd pan will and i repeat will not....

I just came across this post and am intrigued. I have a 1985 S-10 2WD Regular Cab Long Box pick up that was lowered 2" or more by the previous owner. I want to use this frame under a 1949 Chevy 5 window truck body. These swaps are becoming common now I guess.

I picked up a rolling chassis off a 1999 S-10 4WD 4 door Blazer hoping to use the rear differential under the 1949 rear fenders as they fit better plus I would get the rear disks as an added bonus and either limited slip or posi.

Then I found this article.....

Now I am more interested in using the 1999 frame but as a 2WD so I can keep the front discs that came with the 4WD Blazer still. I understand I can use a 2WD tranny but I got confused on the following step:

2. (You need to use a 2wd oil pan and oil sump pick up. the 2wd pan will and i repeat will not fit between the crossmember. also you need a 2wd dip stick, they are about an inch different, and will not read you oil level correctly if u use the 4wd one).

Did you mean the 4WD pan will and I repeat will not....

This did not make sense unless you meant that the 4WD pan can not be used on the 2WD frame...

Please clarify if possible.

PS: I can use the 4WD frame and the 2WD tranny bolts in easy??? plus a new drive shaft or just use the 2WD driveshaft?

Thanks
    Pete in Calgary, Canada

Good first post... The member who wrote this article is here often and very knowledgeable. I'm sure he'll have your questions answered once he sees this thread bumped. :D
    Jake

Typhoon:boink:
    Originally posted by lowblazin94
    Plus they can't arrest you or get a DUI while you have a boner.

Quote Originally Posted by Merki View Post
    I just came across this post and am intrigued. I have a 1985 S-10 2WD Regular Cab Long Box pick up that was lowered 2" or more by the previous owner. I want to use this frame under a 1949 Chevy 5 window truck body. These swaps are becoming common now I guess.

I picked up a rolling chassis off a 1999 S-10 4WD 4 door Blazer hoping to use the rear differential under the 1949 rear fenders as they fit better plus I would get the rear disks as an added bonus and either limited slip or posi.

Then I found this article.....

Now I am more interested in using the 1999 frame but as a 2WD so I can keep the front discs that came with the 4WD Blazer still. I understand I can use a 2WD tranny but I got confused on the following step:

2. (You need to use a 2wd oil pan and oil sump pick up. the 2wd pan will and i repeat will not fit between the crossmember. also you need a 2wd dip stick, they are about an inch different, and will not read you oil level correctly if u use the 4wd one).

Did you mean the 4WD pan will and I repeat will not....

This did not make sense unless you meant that the 4WD pan can not be used on the 2WD frame...

Please clarify if possible.

PS: I can use the 4WD frame and the 2WD tranny bolts in easy??? plus a new drive shaft or just use the 2WD driveshaft?

Thanks
    Pete in Calgary, Canada
    basically if your using a 4.3 with a 4x4 pan it wont fit in a 2wd frame it will hit the crossmember..

you can use the 4x4 frame with a 2wd trans, a stock 2wd drive shaft will fit being that the motor mounts and rear axle are in the exact same place weather the 2wd or 4wd equivalent model.

i would use the 2wd frame and bolt the disc rear to the 2wd frame... the 4x4 front is gonna be alot of extra mess you dont need...

if you use the 4.3 get a 2wd oil pan, dip stick and oil pan pick up tube and filter almost all can be found on ebay or your local junkyard..

as well as the 2wd truck frame will probly work alot better for fitting under your 49 chevy truck since the frame came off a pickup....
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love