Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How should I build it?

How should I build it?

Alright guys I am new to this site and have been reading all this great information here on what is needed for a V8 swap. Since you guys know a lot about the swaps, I would like some opinions on what parts to go with? I am very mechanically inclined and can fabricate a lot of parts if needed but I want to know where to start. I have an 88' single cab S-10 as the donor truck. One thing I want for sure is a blower so I know the motor will need to be built around that. So lets hear your opinions?
    Last edited by blown5.7; 04-18-2006 at 11:35 PM.
    92' S-10
    All forged blown 383 in progress....
    06' Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8- 425hp AWD brick that ran 13.18 with a CAI.
    99' Kenne Bell supercharged Jeep Grand Cherokee (sold)

All forged is my suggestion.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/795796

V-8 Swap

USMC here I come, July 24!

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    What are you targetting? Something mean and wild or something a little more conservative and quiet?

I would not short cut the headers. Don't give in to Headmans cheap cost because you will regret it when you're changing header gasket after header gasket (same goes for the collectors). I'd recomend a set of Sanderson headers. They are the only make that sells headers that have bigger than 1 1/2'' primaries. They're 1 5/8'' would be your best bet in my opinion. If you're looking to race though they sell a 1 3/4'' primary header but they only come in a 3'' collector though. https://shell7.tdl.com/~jags/S-10_Order.html

Also another couple of things to not skimp on are your rear and transmission. It's worth the extra money to get a good converter with an anti-ballooning plate just in case on down the road you decide to throw nitrous to your engine. I've never pulled just the transmission out alone but I know it's a bitch. The only way I could get to the top bolts in mine was to pull the intake off of my engine and go from the top while sitting on the inner fender. I have heard of people cutting holes in the firewall where those two bolts are to access them easier from the inside of the truck. But the point is it's well worth putting a good converter in while you're there and not have to worry about it again.

As far as your rear, check out some of the articles in the Performance Forum. The GM 8.5'' 10-bolt and Ford 8.8 seem to be the easiest ones to choose. If you find the right 8.5'' they are a direct bolt in. The 8.8 rears are a direct bolt in too, per say. To do it right you should weld up the hole on the mounting pad and redrill it 1/2'' over (forgot which direction), and they are also 4'' wider on either side. One other thing is you'll have to run a Ford wheel on the rear or get the axles modified to accept Chevy lug pattern.

Suspension... I'd lower it with a set of 2'' spindles and 2'' springs in the front... and a set of 3'' lowering leaf springs and 1'' lowering block in the rear. All Belltech. That will give you a nice hot rod, street rod stance. Read up on ZZ4Blazer's posts on his sspension mods. He has the best performance suspension system on the board I believe.

Now.. tell us what you want as far as engine goes....
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Thats an awesome reply Catching Second. I really appreciate the info. That is the kinda stuff I want to learn since I am new to this. The motor isn't as big of an issue as the actual conversion and the parts I will need. I might look for a 400 small block and turn it into a 406 unless you guys think thats not a good idea for some reason? I mainly need help with the suspension and drivetrain since I dont know much at all about an S10 setup. What would be the easiest rear end swap? An 8.5 or 8.8? Where can I find the drop springs and spindles?
    92' S-10

I personally would do the 8.8 because I have heard more success with those and I have seen more how-to's on that.

http://www.v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5279

Go to jcwhitney.com for the suspension parts.

V-8 Swap

Cool, thanks.
    92' S-10

By the way, I'm a little confused on the motor mounts I will need? I have a 4.3 in the S10 now. Do I need 2.8 mounts + V8 mounts?
    92' S-10

V-8 Swap

Still a little confused. So I need 2.8 frame mounts and V8 mounts?
    92' S-10

It's all about to change winditup57's Avatar
    you will need the 2.8 FRAME mounts and then the conversion mounts listed here: 2wd motor mounts
    http://s10v8.carshopinc.com/product..._id/59/S10_2WDM

Ok now I understand. Thanks! By the way, are any of you guys running a 4" Belltech drop like Catching Second recommended? I would like to see a pic of what it looks like.
    Last edited by blown5.7; 04-19-2006 at 12:40 AM.
    92' S-10

Not a 4 inch but pretty close. its 2inch spindles and 1 inch springs and then the v8 gave me another inch prolly so about 4 in the front and 3 in the back.
    Burn Ruber..... Not Your Soul!
    86 2dr 2wd. 350sb th-350 trans. duel flowmaster exhaust. shaved emblems,trim,roof rack,tire rack. Lowered 3/3 belltech all around.
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2101216

:rolleyes:
    Burn Ruber..... Not Your Soul!
    86 2dr 2wd. 350sb th-350 trans. duel flowmaster exhaust. shaved emblems,trim,roof rack,tire rack. Lowered 3/3 belltech all around.
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2101216

4/4 from WAY back in the day.

Summits gonna be about the cheapest place to find belltech stuff, atleast online. Unless you got a specialty place close to you that you can pick it up for cheaper than them.

400's are stout engines, and can be TQ monsters if built right. Just make sure you've got the steam holes drilled into the heads or its probably gonna over heat.

Even with the stock 4.3, the 2.8 frame mounts will bolt right in. My 92 blazer, the 2.8 wasn't an option, so when I went to the parts store, I told them I needed them for a 91 truck with the 2.8.

I prefer the JTR (stealth conversions) V8 engine mounts. I've had very good luck with them. Used them in 2 of my own V8 trucks,(1st gen blazer and now 2nd gen truck), and also used them when we did another members blazer.

If you can find a 2wd 8.5" from a newer truck, that'll be your best option. Bolts right in like your stock rear end, and a few aftermarket parts they're damn near bulletproof. Only problem is finding one.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    If you can get your hands on a 400 I'd definitely go with it. I really want to some day build a 377 (400 block, 350 crank). You can get the extra bore or the 400 but the higher reving abilities of a 350. Anyway, like ZZ4 said, you can turn a 400 into a good street monster. Pair it up with a blower and you got a wild settup. Another thing on a 400... I may be incorrect, but I've heard that most 400's are 2 bolt main blocks. If you're building it all the right way I'd get a set of Milodon splayed 4 bolt main caps. They bolt up to the two center mains... you drill and tap for the other holes which convert it to a 4 bolt main but the 2 outside bolts go in at an angle which really holds the bottom end together. Standard 4 bolts mains are tough, but those splayed bolt caps are rock solid.

I also agree with Jim (ZZ4) that Summit is going to be your best bet for Belltech stuff.

Here's a few pics of mine on a 3/4 drop (3'' rear, 4'' front).

"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo