Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How should I build it?

Thanks man. Yeah I am basically building this as a second truck to play around with. The truck will basically be a weekend cruiser with the occasional trip to the 1/4. I'm not sure on the boost levels yet but probably somewhere conservative around 10psi. The budget isn't really a huge deal because if I limit myself I wont be happy with how the truck turns out. I tend to go overboard on all my projects but thats ok as long as I get enjoyment out of it. I am going to start working on it soon but there is no hurry to get it done. Do any of you guys have any experience with blown 350's? I have never messed around with carb'd blower setups. I am a young guy with fuel injected supercharger tuning experience.
    92' S-10
    All forged blown 383 in progress....
    06' Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8- 425hp AWD brick that ran 13.18 with a CAI.
    99' Kenne Bell supercharged Jeep Grand Cherokee (sold)

JUST start building it so i can help, and then we can race that shiot
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/pr...oc=101&dealer=

screw the carbs!

go for the promod blazer look

Damn thats insane. A little over my head though....lol
    92' S-10

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/pr...oc=101&dealer=

screw the carbs!
    I love that shit.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

I had a magnesium 14-71 at one time and was looking at some differnt options- BDS was just coming out with their kits--- if they had had this size (and I completed the project) it might have been a good fit.

one of the things that I kinda liked ( although needs further examination) is to run 30 percent under drive during the week and then 30% over on weekends I would really want that "over driven" sound at idle.

Thanks for the info. Here's some techincal questions for you guys. I think I have decided to build a 383 since I have a 350 block that was just given to me by a friend. My first question is since it is a 2 bolt main block can it be converted to 4 bolt? Second question is what combo should I go with to make a 383? What crank and pisons/rods? I'm thinking maybe AFR street 195 heads?
    92' S-10

Originally posted by blown5.7
    Thanks for the info. Here's some techincal questions for you guys. I think I have decided to build a 383 since I have a 350 block that was just given to me by a friend. My first question is since it is a 2 bolt main block can it be converted to 4 bolt? Second question is what combo should I go with to make a 383? What crank and pisons/rods? I'm thinking maybe AFR street 195 heads?
    Yes it can be converted to a 4 bolt. And while you're at it you mine as well convert it to a splayed 4 bolt like I was explaining before. There's no extra cost in parts or labor since it all requires the same thing (drilling and tapping). Milidon makes the splayed bolt caps which are the tits for building a rock solid bottom end. Here's a link to those. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

I'd go with forged everything. If you don't, there's the possibility of later on down the road wishing you had if you decided to do something wild. Since you already said you were going to put a blower on it definitely go forged. Also if you're going to go blower go with lower compression.

Here's a link to what I think the perfect engine rotating assembly would be for you if you're going with the blower. It features JE -31cc inverted dome forged extreme duty pistons, Eagle ESP forged 3-D H beam rods, and an Eagle ESP forged 4340 crankshaft. http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/produ...01&CtgID=12062

For $1,900 plus the $200 for the caps and that totals you to $2,100 for a bottom end you could throw just about anything at.

Those AFR 195's are the tits as well. Me like those much!
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

the 383 is not an internallty balanced assembly

what size and style blower are you running as that all makes a difference in terms of what you do to balance the motor and dampen harmonics.

I have been looking at the 6-71 Weiand assembly. Not sure yet though. Oh and thanks for that info CatchingSecond.
    92' S-10

It's all about to change winditup57's Avatar
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    the 383 is not an internallty balanced assembly

what size and style blower are you running as that all makes a difference in terms of what you do to balance the motor and dampen harmonics.
    My 383 IS an internally balanced motor...they make cranks that way now and you can use any 350 balancer on them...and a 350 flexplate/flywheel.
    I didnt look at the kit catching was talking about..but I know mine is....

I know you can have a machine shop balance them. The drill holes in the counter weights or whatever they're called (the big parts stack hang out on a crank). I don't know if this would apply to the "having a 383" balanced er not.

It's all about to change winditup57's Avatar
    I have always been told if you buy an aftermarket crank..they should be balanced regardless.

I think what big was saying is that a 400 being an externally balanced motor, and a 383 uses a 400 crank basically, they too are externally balanced. I was just saying my engine is an internally balanced one, similiar to a 350...

Originally posted by winditup57
    I have always been told if you buy an aftermarket crank..they should be balanced regardless.

I think what big was saying is that a 400 being an externally balanced motor, and a 383 uses a 400 crank basically, they too are externally balanced. I was just saying my engine is an internally balanced one, similiar to a 350...
    correct

what I was inferring is that your choices on the blower drive may require internal balancing of the front portion of the crank with mallory metal. Most people are running a balancer nowdays, old school was to use the drivebelt is a dampener - which required the internally balanced since the hub wasn't externally balanced.

personally, I would look into double keywaying the harmonic balancer like I did on the twin truck I am building. A 6 or 8-71 will take more HP to turn it than most people will admit.

THere are several people making some decent cams. Check to see the lobe seperation angle is 112 to 114. Basically you want the exhaust to close so you can stuff it full.

Where is the best place to get a 400 crank?
    92' S-10