Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x4 problem

4x4 problem

I had the blazer at the dealership the other day getting it appraised so I could trade it in. Well, they drive it around and check everything out on it. The guy tells me my 4x4 does not work. I had a problem this past winter but that was a vacuum line and I fixed it. Since he drove it, the transfer case and front 2 wheels are illuminated on the shifter console like its in 4x4. The led beside 4 high does not come on until I shift it to "4 high."

Hope this makes sense. Any suggestions?

check the thing under the battery and the vac. valve on the transfer case, its a cheap part in the HELP section. Worked for me with that same problem.

The thing under the battery? I know there is a vac. line on that side but I'm guessing youre not talking about that.

Thanks

Can you tell if it is really in 4 wheel drive or not...There is a switch in the front axel that has been known to hang up....Try this...Have someone shift from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive as you watch the vacume actuator " the thing under the battery" you should be able to see it pull the shaft in and out..if this is working try giving the switch on the front axel a tap....Hope this helps good luck...

1st Check vac actuator under battery tray for tears, or leaks, and that the vac hose is connected. Replace if found

2nd Check vac hose leading from vac actuator to vac switch on transfer case for cracks and dry rot. Replace if found.

3rd Check remaining 2 hoses from vac switch on transfer case for dryrot or cracks Replace if found.

If all of the above are fine, disconnect your negative battery cable for 1/2 hour then reconnect it. If your 4x4 works after that you probably have a failing TCCM (Transfer case control module)

If that doesn't solve it, it's most likely the encoder motor
    Support Sattelite Radio! Goto www.siriusbackstage.com
    goto http://www.pghconsulting.net/teal to see my updated pics!

-- I won't bag it and/or drop it, because face it, I'm too old to have a ghetto-mobile
    "I live with 2 retards and a deaf person.....It's not so bad..." --Grandma

I believe he has a 88 blazer,,,no tccm involved..

Thanks guys.

I will try it later on today and let you know the results.

Banned
    why you getting rid of the blaze? That thing looks alot like mine

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

You mean yours looks alot like mine.;)

When did you get yours painted? Our paint is almost identical.

The blazer is not doing well at all. I have had it since I was 16 and its time for something new. I am about to start a new job so I can finally afford something else. I plan on getting one of those new toyota tacomas. I test drove alot of trucks and I liked that one the most. I wanted the colorado to begin with but not after I drove the tacoma.

Tacoma 4x4

BTW: The blazer doesnt look like this anymore. I got ripped on the paint job (rusted out quick), roll pan cracked on me, and I took the wheels off to sell them (which hasnt happened yet).

Banned
    damn, you never did get that thing lowered down. How bad is it rusting? My back fender and lower quarter is starting to rust pretty bad too. It was painted several times but most recent was a little over a year ago.

Dont sell it to somone but a punk kid, its sad to see them get tore up. but if you got to get the money, you got to get the money i guess. Good luck.

Oh yeah, is your back wheels 8in or 9in wide??

edit- And want to trade hoods before you sell? lmao

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Well, it was going to get lowered but I was riding with a friend and he flipped his car on the interstate a few times that day. I never did get around to lowering it after that. I had everything to do it but just recently sold the blocks to someone on here. I don't think I could get that much for it so Ill just trade it in and not worry about it. I had big plans for the blazer. :(

The wheels are 8inches. You helped me decide on those wheels. Remember? Thats been a while ago.

I believe the colors would match up on those hoods.:) :) :)

Banned
    i thought you had those wheels before me, maybe im thinking of somone else.

Reason i asked about the wheels is i was wanting a 9 incher for the back, o well.

I think my 4x4 wasn't broken after all. I checked the actuator which is beside the battery. It did "suck" in when I engaged the 4x4. As far as the display being lit, I unhooked the wire that is connected to the transfer case.

Thanks guys

vac lines

I need to know where the 2 of the 3 vac lines go. I did a V8 swap and everything was unpluged. I know one goes to the actuator under the battery, where do the other two go?

Mat
    --1989 4x4 blazer v8--

So, you have some wheels and tires for sale???