Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Traction Action

Slow Ride
    I also found a rearend for $1050 that is rebuilt w/ a one year warranty. If that one for $725 is messed up I will probably get the more expensive one. Although the one for $1050 with a warranty is sounding tempting so I can really beat on it.

the safety loop that i got isn't long enough to go all the way across from frame to frame. so what would i do on that?extend it.i got another question on the loop. on 73 firebird where would bolt it up to there?

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    hmmm that is agood question on the bird.....i have a 76 nova...they are basically the same sub frames and what not....umm i would have to check but u might be able to bolt it to the back of the sub frame in the front and if not go get some weld on sub frame connectors and im sure u could bolt it to those
    ________
    Amateur Tube
    Last edited by supernova; 02-26-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Slow Ride
    Well fastNlow was right about wanting to stab the guy in the neck. I paid $1100+ to get the rear and now they tell me it doesn't exist. I dropped off my rear and the rebuilder call and asks what posi I want then I explain what is supposed to happen and he says my brakes won't work and that the 8.5" doesn't exist only on zr2 Bull shit it is now tuesday and no rearend FUCK. What do I do now? I need to go racing on Friday.

He says it doesnt exist? WTF. The ones in the ZR2 are 8" longer than a regular 2wd rear end. Those 8.5's only came in those s-10's for a few years. They're an 8.5" 10 bolt 30 spline. Just like all the other 8.5's. Just shorter for the s-10. Are you sure you have the 8.5? What year did it come out of?
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Slow Ride
    The mother fucker had me come in and put money down to rebuild it and brought in my rearend for the core than I called there a bunch of times today and they never had the fucking thing and were looking for one. I just about ripped him a new asshole for trying to sell me something he never had or even intended to have for me. He fucking knows I needed it today in order to get the fucking thing running by Friday. I really need it by the afternoon tomorrow or I'll never get it done. I even paid extra to get the other parts I needed here today.

P.S. which way do the angles go on a 4" angled block???

i think that the highest side is to the back and the short side to the front. i have the 4 inch blocks on my truck but it is dark outside and can't see them.

Slow Ride
    Well I am not going racing again this year. The dumb asses at the junk yards around here are morons. So I'm getting my old rear end back and I'll probably end up dropping $2G+ on a Currie 9plus rear complete drum to drum with 4.11 and a posi. I also was thinking about Strange but haven't heard much abiout their complete third members. Any info????

Pimpin Once Again blazer88FastNLo's Avatar
    hey knudsonm I can probally get you some disc brakes for the rear of the nine inch if ya want. get them real cheap. i have 2 9inches now with disc brakes. it will be a lil bit before i get another setup but if you want we can talk
    R.I.P. Allison Campbell R.I.P. Gone But Not Forgotten 1984-2002

Slow Ride
    I want to keep the drums. In fact I am going with the 11" drums because I don't want to use a transbrake and the little drums couldn't hold the engine back below 2500RPM. Drums just have more friction area than discs so they have more holding power.

Pimpin Once Again blazer88FastNLo's Avatar
    well, your lose. its aight though just thought i'd try and help you stop on a dime. especially for $100 +shipping for a disc brake conversion whats that $700 off of buying one new

whoops, almost forgot its even legal to
    R.I.P. Allison Campbell R.I.P. Gone But Not Forgotten 1984-2002

Hey knudsonm sorry bout your luck. Sucks missing the last test n tune. Weare tring to hit the 3rd weekdn in sept here. What program were you using for the simulator?
    Just reading back a bit..
    I put on some Lakewood traction bars like SSeriedstud69's pic. They helped with the wheel hop, but then had issues lighting it up into second. Hot tires and 14lbs helped. Also have an extra 300 lbs in the frame.
    Tried like Yenko, with a loading it up a bit on the brake and it won't even leave the line quick spins much. grrr..
    Odd thing is I do most of my testing on some old Country roads near my buddies place. Rough pavement, it launchs hard and behaves so differant from the track. Track's 60' ft were a dissapointing 2.2-2.5. Buddies stang with slicks a 1.78-1.82 grrrr

Anyone have, tried a gtech? Thinking I can using it for dialing in the sled as well. I used on this winter on my sled. I was out on the ice at a 1/2 mile speed run, the top Mph (134) was identical with the gtech record.Unable to verify ET as the track only had radar. My only experiance with one.
    When in doubt Gas it!

Slow Ride
    Here are the prices I got:

Moser(bolt in)

9" - Auburn posi- 4.11 gears - disks - $2832+250S/H
    9" - Auburn posi- 4.11 gears - 11" drums - $2452+250S/H

Currie(bolt in)

9" - Auburn posi- 4.11 gears - 11" drums - $1950+220S/H
    9+ housing and carrier - Auburn posi- 4.11 gears - 11" drums - $2150+220S/H

Strange(needs spring perches welded on)

9" - Auburn posi- 4.11 gears - 11" drums - $2400+200S/H

Slow Ride
    Well I ordered it today. It will take a couple weeks to get here. This is what I got:

Currie 9+ housing and carrier and pinion support - Auburn posi - 4.11 gears - 31 splined axles - 11" drum brakes w/ Chevy bolt pattern - ready to bolt in - delivered to my door for $2415.78

This thing will never break. (I hope)

Talking Caltracs

Go for the CalTrac's and a good posi, I have an Eaton unit with 4.11's in both of my trucks, the best damn shock and the last damn shock you will ever buy are the HAL QA1 units, flat out amazing .............. :bigthumb: