Thread: Bad milage, check engine soon light on.....

Bad milage, check engine soon light on.....

I just bought my 02 extreme blazer 5 days ago. Im getting worse gas milage than i was with my dodge ram with a V8 (318), my check engine soon light came on at 48,500 miles give or take. and it seems to be running hot but the gage says its cool.....any help would be great guys.....i have only put about 250 miles on it
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2424845

http://www.myspace.com/8404004

What kinda milage is it getting?

Id assume the truck had around 48,200 miles on it when you bought it? Or did you buy it witht he light on?

Get the truck scanned to see what kinda codes its throwing to make the light come on?

What makes you think the trucks running hot, when its reading cool?
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer

Id assume the truck had around 48,200 miles on it when you bought it? Or did you buy it witht he light on?

Get the truck scanned to see what kinda codes its throwing to make the light come on?

What makes you think the trucks running hot, when its reading cool?
    truck had 48,200 on it when i bought it, the light was not on, now the light is on. went to autozone and the scanner narrowed it down to either vacuum leak or spark plugs, im pretty sure there is no leak i sprayed all around it. those plugs look hard to get to......It just seems hot after it sits for a while maybe my imagination......

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer
    [B]What kinda milage is it getting?

i just got it so im still figuring it but it got about 150 miles on 3/4 tank. both highway and city....

So basically you have no idea. :rolleyes:
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 02xtremeblaze
    [B]
    Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer

i just got it so im still figuring it but it got about 150 miles on 3/4 tank. both highway and city....
    basically, it really sucks its my new truck and i just want it to be right........i'll figure it out i suppose i just need some time after work.......

if the check engine light is on, you need to get the exact code. If AutoZone can't give you the code, find someone who can (or buy a code scanner yourself - there are simple/cheap ones available). Your problem could be as simple as a bad o2 sensor - that would set off a code and cause your mileage fluctuation.

Originally posted by el guapo
    if the check engine light is on, you need to get the exact code. If AutoZone can't give you the code, find someone who can (or buy a code scanner yourself - there are simple/cheap ones available). Your problem could be as simple as a bad o2 sensor - that would set off a code and cause your mileage fluctuation.
    I was thinking it was an o2 sensor, but idk the light is crazy its not on all the time and then sometimes it flashes. how much does a code scanner cost and where to buy one? thanks

I bought a universal one that reads most OBDII domestic vehicles from my local Western Auto for like $45. It came with different cards for different make vehicles (chevy/ford/chrysler).

You don't need an AutoTap or anything just to pull/erase codes.

You can get them cheaper on ebay http://motors.search.ebay.com/obdii-code_W0QQfromZR40

Originally posted by el guapo
    I bought a universal one that reads most OBDII domestic vehicles from my local Western Auto for like $45. It came with different cards for different make vehicles (chevy/ford/chrysler).

You don't need an AutoTap or anything just to pull/erase codes.

You can get them cheaper on ebay http://motors.search.ebay.com/obdii-code_W0QQfromZR40
    Thanks alot man!