Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering Wheel Play?

Steering Wheel Play?

My steering Wheel has alot of play in it . Is it the gear box, or something else with the front end?
    ...Any ideas thanks...Marky4
    1990 Chevy Blazer 4.3 V6 2wd

Describe "play"---when does it do it, sounds like what? when turning left or right?
    I enjoy beer, guitars, women, sleeping late, sleeping with women, sleeping late with women, waking up and having a woman bring me a beer.
    Originally posted by SpikesBlazin
    but ya canada is so much better than the US.

If my memory doesn't fail back in 1999, what was wrong with mine when it happened was what is called the coupling disc within the steering box. The "play" mine had was when the truck with the engine running and in park I was able to turn 1/4 of a turn either way without making the wheels turn at all. I measured that putting my hands in the 3 and 9 position and trying to move it either way to check for wheel movement with somebody looking at them. Back then, the coupling disc was a universal type and it was about $5 but it needed to be adapted and installation was about $400. It has never been out since. I was there during installation and didn't look that hard to do... If it ever go out again I will be doing it myself...
    Let's get my blazer running strong like a rock, like it was meant to be.

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    yeah the play probly is in the steering shaft in the engine compartment.. easy to fix
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Originally posted by phatfarmer2
    yeah the play probly is in the steering shaft in the engine compartment.. easy to fix
    Yeah i am going to install it the next day will let you know if it works..

called a rag joint. i just called on one for my syclone. the dealer does not have the replacement anymore for it and a new shaft is about 400-450. if your gonna speand money on it i would look into a borgason(sp) shaft
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

Originally posted by syclonekid43
    called a rag joint. i just called on one for my syclone. the dealer does not have the replacement anymore for it and a new shaft is about 400-450. if your gonna speand money on it i would look into a borgason(sp) shaft
    I dont think its the rag joint it looks good, i think its still good cause i just picked one up from the junkyard, like 3 months ago.
    Yeah the steering wheel had play in it before before i even put the one from the junkyard, so thats why i think its the gear box i will find out 2marrow when i put it on.
    I hope it works i am so tired of the lose feeling my steering wheel
    has..

Last edited by marky4; 06-24-2006 at 09:54 PM.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but just looking around I ended up in Napa's website and found a Power Steering Gear Box Input Shaft Seal Kit that looks familiar to that coupling disc in one of the components, but I'm not positive... I would go to napa and at least ask where does it go... hehehe :D

Here is a picture of the kit. Anybody that have a picture of a steering gear box that is opened up? It is better to point at things than explaining where they are. The coupling disc may be the lower corners discs together... I think...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Originally posted by chiro4u2nv
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but just looking around I ended up in Napa's website and found a Power Steering Gear Box Input Shaft Seal Kit that looks familiar to that coupling disc in one of the components, but I'm not positive... I would go to napa and at least ask where does it go... hehehe :D

you talking about this one?

http://www.napaautoparts.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=NPS&PartNumber= 7180&Description=Power+Steering+Gear+Box+Input+Sha ft+Seal+Kit

thanks chiro4u2nv
    that would be nice if someone had a picture of it opened.:)

I guess that one is... but like I said, I'm not positive

Originally posted by chiro4u2nv
    Here is a picture of the kit. Anybody that have a picture of a steering gear box that is opened up? It is better to point at things than explaining where they are. The coupling disc may be the lower corners discs together... I think...
    thats the seal kit for the box itself. that would have nothing to do with a lot of play in the wheel.

if you gonna swap out the box. i would go with a zq8 one. quick ratio steering. i just put one in my syclone from a 96 impala ss. world of diffrence.

i though my box had the play in it. after i put it in. it was the same thing. thats when i saw the rag joint was gone. rag joint is the one closer to the steering box. its under that plastic sheild. slide the sheild up and take a closer look to be on the safe side.
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

I'm wondering if this is the problem I'm experiencing also.

My steering wheel recently started having "play" in it. (89 2wd blaze)

I've also noticed that sometimes turning will be "stiff" for a second as I start the turn. Not to mention I have a hell of a vibration shake around 65mph.

Should I look into the box issue? Didn't someone on here have thread explaining how to swap the blazer steering box for one out of a camaro/firebird?

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Ok changed the gearbox and still had the play in it but was better than it was before, but still had the play in it so, i looked into the steering coupler took it off and found out it was bad i thought it was good but boy i was wrong so i took it apart put a new power steering coupler...
    And now its nice and tight i cant ever imagine it would not have play i got so use to it like that, and now i am i am like damn...
    Last edited by marky4; 07-02-2006 at 04:02 PM.