Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quick question about accidents...

Originally posted by FabianSS357
    I mean in most cases they SHOULD have deployed if it was a bad enough wreck to part the vehicle right?
    It depends where the vehicle was hit. For example, if its rearended, I do not believe that blazers have crash sensors in the rear, therefore bags should not deploy unless the hit is hard enough to impact the side sensors.

But if you are hit from behind, bags really will not help you because the momentum of the car will try to jerk you forward while your body will remain at rest. In other words the seat should be stopping you then.
    Last edited by x_concepts; 06-26-2006 at 07:47 AM.
    VLAD

My 95

I have a set of air bags and the air bag sensor that goes under the center console from a 1999 blazer for sale. Pm me if interested.

Originally posted by allworksomeplay
    I have a set of air bags and the air bag sensor that goes under the center console from a 1999 blazer for sale. Pm me if interested.
    I'll definitely keep it in mind. I have to go to the dealership and get ahold of insurance in a bit here so I'll report back on what they say and I'll try and get some pics.
    Only thing 4 doors are good for is...1 car...

Well, I just got done talkin' with the insurance company and it's lookin' more and more like a) it's gonna get totalled out and b) if/when it does I'm gonna get bent over and fucked royally. They said that when it gets totalled out they'll give me the value that they think it'll get at auction. I owe about $8,000 on it still so I don't see myself getting anything more than about $4,000 so that means that I'm gonna be paying $4,000 on a vehicle that I don't even own. It sucks but it's life and I'll just have to move on and probably get a normal STOCK vehicle like most every other loser in the world.

Get a value they think it will sell for at the auction? They supposed to give you the value of the truck by blue book, or what ever book they use, prior to the accident, not after it. Plus, if you have all the receipts for all the shit you have done, they should honor that. Either way I think its time for you to get a lawyer or they will fuck you.

And man, if they total it, you shouldnt have to pay anything for it. In other words, if they total it, they should be paying it off. They tried to do that with my step dads bike. Insurance sent us a letter saying that they paid 20k for it, because thats what the liability coverage was for the bitch that pulled out in front of him, and that we should pay the rest. Fuck that. Its not our fault they let her get policy which doesnt protect you worth a shit. 50% of cars on the road are worth way more than 20k. We just waiting for my step dad to get out of hospital and then he will be suing the shit out of the insurance and the old bitch...
    Last edited by x_concepts; 06-26-2006 at 12:33 PM.
    VLAD

My 95

Originally posted by Slicker
    Well, I just got done talkin' with the insurance company and it's lookin' more and more like a) it's gonna get totalled out and b) if/when it does I'm gonna get bent over and fucked royally. They said that when it gets totalled out they'll give me the value that they think it'll get at auction. I owe about $8,000 on it still so I don't see myself getting anything more than about $4,000 so that means that I'm gonna be paying $4,000 on a vehicle that I don't even own. It sucks but it's life and I'll just have to move on and probably get a normal STOCK vehicle like most every other loser in the world.
    Before they take your truck take all of the your aftermarket parts off it. They are only paying you for the stock parts.

ins. only totals if the damage is 75% or more of the value of the vehicle.

the ins. co. trying to give you auction price is not right. they are supposed to give you value of car prior to accident. kbb.com will give you a good idea of current value.

NOW, if you decide to buy it back then they will charge you what they think they would get at auction minus the insurance payout.

it might work out ok. in my case the ins. co. treated me right. paid 3400 for a 92 honda accord two years ago, wrecked it a year later and they gave me 3600

GOOD LUCK

Well, from what is being said here it is promising. I really didn't buy the "auction price" but since I've never had to go through with a totalled vehicle I didn't know for sure. I've gotta call the dealership tomorrow and see what they're gonna do with it and I'll have to check back in with the ins. company.

CLancy

Originally posted by x_concepts
    I dont really get what the hell is a "used" air bag. If it didnt pop, then its not used. If the guy got popped in his face with a "used" one, that sucks, but I bet he would feel alot worse if he spent $200 on it instead of $20.
    that for sure, guy was an idot. I just don't recomend to go the used airbag way to anyone for a couple of reasons
    1) I won't even think about installing them myself. Personally I've had to work too hard for what little I've got to lose it all if someone sues me.
    2) How many of you have been in accidents where the airbag didn't deploy and should have, or had one that seemed a little delayed and deployed after the fact? How many times have people had one deploy when it wasn't necessary due to the location of impact? I don't think if I felt they were necessary I'd trust one from god knows where when I've had the experiences I've had with factory origionals.

I'll keep subleting airbag work to the dealer myself because I've had pretty much every worse case scenerio happen. If some thing happened I'd rather not be the one held responsible for someones personal injury.

Always figured if I was going to have to pay for someones injuries I'd rather have caused them the old fashion way. With a good through ass whoopin. :D

I'd just rather not be liable.

Originally posted by clancy98
    LOL @ Jiffy Pop Airbags

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/91/91mjiffypop.phtml

that's what I'd get :bigthumb: hell a bad case of the munchies and I'd ram someone on purpose

just hope that has some kind of coolant system so I don't get burnt by that bad ass artificial butter ahhhh fake butter :smoker:

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    Originally posted by <s.i.c.>
    your putting yourself at risk using used airbags, I know that the shop I used to work at wouldn't even think about it for liability(sp)
    reasons. You should replace the airbag sensors as well

I'd leave them out before I'd replace them with used ones, there cheap for a reason

we actually had this discussion at work today.. odd enough, then i saw this thread....

insurance companies refuse to put used airbags in for liability reason. also my work will also not install used airbags no matter what.. that could be a huge lawsuit down the road "if" somethign went wrong.

and yes you alwasy replace the sensors, and the airbag modual that is usually mounted under the center console.
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Originally posted by Daddy Ward
    ins. only totals if the damage is 75% or more of the value of the vehicle.
    percentage amount depends on the state you live in. Every sate is differant.

Originally posted by <s.i.c.>

I watched a guy put in a used driverside bag in only to have it blow up in his face when he tried to plug it in. I couldn't tell you why it did the battery wasn't even in at the time. He'd tell you that the broken glasses, busted nose, and black eye he got when his hand flew up and smacked him in the face wasn't a very good deal, in fact he ended up replacing the whole system with new parts from the factory so his cheap fix ended up just being a waste of time and money.
    Odd because they are set off by an eletronic voltage.

Originally posted by phatfarmer2
    we actually had this discussion at work today.. odd enough, then i saw this thread....

insurance companies refuse to put used airbags in for liability reason. also my work will also not install used airbags no matter what.. that could be a huge lawsuit down the road "if" somethign went wrong.

and yes you alwasy replace the sensors, and the airbag modual that is usually mounted under the center console.
    As in used are we talking ones that have deployed and be repaced and recovered or ones from parts cars.

I bet 98% of the repair shops go through partsyards for the air bags.