Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quick question about accidents...

Originally posted by allworksomeplay
    As in used are we talking ones that have deployed and be repaced and recovered or ones from parts cars.

I bet 98% of the repair shops go through partsyards for the air bags.
    don't know what shops your talking about but I know insurance companies will not have you install used airbags in any condition in a vehicle

the insurance co. quotes for new bags, and if your shop went ahead and installed used they could be quilty of insurance fraud

no shop any where in my area will install them and I think phatfarmer would agree that all most any shop will tell you no just the same

your required to keep a log of salvage parts that are installed in the state of Illinois, don't know about anywhere else, and I pretty much promise you won't find airbags listed on even one of these logs

call your insurance adjuster and ask them about used airbag replacement I'm sure they aren't going to recomend it. I believe that every insurance co. has a betterment policy that says that your vehicle will be returned to its prior condition. I don't think that applies to airbags or we'd be installing them used in every wrecked car that is more than a couple years old. Call around your area and see if any body shops will install used airbags for you, odds are they'll tell you no.

Originally posted by phatfarmer2
    we actually had this discussion at work today.. odd enough, then i saw this thread....

insurance companies refuse to put used airbags in for liability reason. also my work will also not install used airbags no matter what.. that could be a huge lawsuit down the road "if" somethign went wrong.

and yes you alwasy replace the sensors, and the airbag modual that is usually mounted under the center console.
    thank you Phatfarmer, hell I only work in auto collision and haven't seen but one guy, total moron, install a used airbag. For replacement covered by an insurance policy they pay for new bags and if a shop gets the check and has replaced with used ones instead they will likely be charged with defrauding the insurance co.

not saying you have to be a moron to go with used, just saying shops and insurance companies usually have a policy to give you a big NO when you inquire about used ones

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    Originally posted by <s.i.c.>
    thank you Phatfarmer, hell I only work in auto collision and haven't seen but one guy, total moron, install a used airbag. For replacement covered by an insurance policy they pay for new bags and if a shop gets the check and has replaced with used ones instead they will likely be charged with defrauding the insurance co.

not saying you have to be a moron to go with used, just saying shops and insurance companies usually have a policy to give you a big NO when you inquire about used ones
    yup pretty much.... insurance companies will absolutly never pay for a used airbag. and there is good reason..

with used airbags u run the risk of them being faulty, since the likelyhood they are outta a wrecked vehicle, hence why insurance companies will not use them, major liability issue...

also airbags can be set off by static electrisity also.. i was putting a set in a car at work and my hand touched some metal and i saw a small spark.. i ducked and prayed for the best, luckily the bag didnt deploy.

i would never install used airbags in any vehicle i owned, however this is just me...
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Originally posted by Slicker
    Well, I just got done talkin' with the insurance company and it's lookin' more and more like a) it's gonna get totalled out and b) if/when it does I'm gonna get bent over and fucked royally. They said that when it gets totalled out they'll give me the value that they think it'll get at auction. I owe about $8,000 on it still so I don't see myself getting anything more than about $4,000 so that means that I'm gonna be paying $4,000 on a vehicle that I don't even own. It sucks but it's life and I'll just have to move on and probably get a normal STOCK vehicle like most every other loser in the world.
    I don't know if you are past this point or not; but if in case you end up getting back less than you owe on the Blazer, check to make sure if you payed for gap insurance when you bought the truck. Gap insurance will make up the difference, and I'm pretty sure it's offered on used vehicles if you bought your Blazer used. If you bought it new, I'm pretty confident that you have it.

livin the lowlife
    damn did it get fucked up that much?
    when u first metnioned i took it more as a accident and drive-away type thing well u walked away i assume sincve u didnt sepdn much if any time in the hossy, i just hope shit turns out for you, that truck is/was bad ass would like to see you be able to buy it back cheap or something and continue your work.

only thing i do hate about you slicker, your damn 4 door comment on your sig :nono:

lol its all good though, good luck :bigthumb:
    94 S-10 Bodydropped,Shaved and some other things with ALOT to come.
    95 Jimmy 4x4 POS
    99 Blazer 2wd, daily with a couple mods.

I forgot to update but I called the dealership about 2 days ago and they told me it was completely totalled out. I was bummed but what's done is done so I didn't get too down about I was just gonna wait and see what they were gonna give me.

Fast forward to today and I get another call from the dealership and they tell me that they're gonna tear the front down to check for any hidden damage on the orders of insurance. Not sure if this is for there benefit or if they're still thinkin' about fixin' it. I'm obviously hopin' that they fix it up for me but who knows.

I don't know if I said anything but I was completely unharmed. Only my left arm had any damage and that was a little scrape from the airbag. I never even came close to hitting the airbag or steering wheel. My seat is literally as far back as possible both forward and backwards and the seat back itself. I have the seat back completely against the back seats so it would've taken one hell of a hit to make me go far enough forward to hit the bag.
    Only thing 4 doors are good for is...1 car...

SIk Addictions
    are you gonna buy it back if it is totaled and fix it? shit man if your gonna start over might as well sart over with what ya know!

I just got done talking to insurance again and apparently they are going through with fixing my truck. The total damage was over $7,000 (and I guarantee that about $4,000 of that was for the fucking airbags).

I'm gonna go into the dealership tomorrow and ask about putting a different front end on there.

I'm assuming that an '02 Envoy front end is a bit more pricey so I don't know if I'll get it but I'm gonna push for getting my aftermarket hood and possibly get them to pay for my projector headlights too.

Does anyone know off hand what an Envoy front clip from the dealership costs vs. a Blazer front clip from a dealership? I doubt they'd wanna pay for it if it's more (which I am totalling assuming it is).

Thanks again for everyones input and help.
    Only thing 4 doors are good for is...1 car...

I highly doubt they would put anything different on it. Most dealers fix it to factory specs.

My friends f150 got hit and he couldnt even get them to NOT put the STX or w/e signs back on it because they were like $27 a piece (!) and they still put them back on.

Its fucking stupid how there is not an option to fix it yourself. I would much rather take 7k and use only about 2k at the most for front end. And the rest...
    VLAD

My 95

I know some companies will get the estimate and you can get them to give you a check for the damage

I know some companies will get the estimate and you can get them to give you a check for the damage
    Ive heard of them doing that only for minor damages. For example, when I first started driving, I rearended a guy in a ranger. Well, later on I saw his truck with a roll pan instead of bumper so I bet insurance gave him some money. Also one of my friends got $400 for having his truck scraped at sonic. But I never heard insurance give out big sums of money for more serious damages. I could be wrong though.
    VLAD

My 95

Originally posted by x_concepts
    Ive heard of them doing that only for minor damages. For example, when I first started driving, I rearended a guy in a ranger. Well, later on I saw his truck with a roll pan instead of bumper so I bet insurance gave him some money. Also one of my friends got $400 for having his truck scraped at sonic. But I never heard insurance give out big sums of money for more serious damages. I could be wrong though.
    LOL thats what insurance does...give out money for damage.

alot of times, you can get the check made out to you after you get some estimates...and then you can or cannot take it to get it fixed..

i know people that have gotten a rather large check and instead of taking it to the shop, they fix it themselves and make money.

I think it just depends on your company.
    Last edited by lowestyet1; 06-30-2006 at 09:23 AM.

SIk Addictions
    My insurance company let me take it to 3 places then gave me the money for the middle estamate and I took it to the cheapest place and had the up graded parts put on it, don't know who you have but mine is progrssive if that helps?

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar

all u need to tell them is you want to fix it yourself, and they will give u the cash.
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Yea I've heard of several people that have got the insurance check written out to them in cases that envolved serious damage that equaled out to a large amount of money

My cousin rolled his Ranger sometime back and recieved an almost $9000 check in his name

My step Dad was hit by a semi and they gave him $4500 check for the damage to his POS truck that books for less than $3000. And it was totaled for sure, the bed was in the passengers side of the cab and the whole truck was about 32" shorter. 32" is a pretty big diference on a 10 year old short bed Ranger, it was beyond totaled.

so I no there are people who have recieved checks written to them when a vehicle was totalled and used the money as they saw fit.