Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1998 Blazer Door Panels removal/ speaker installation advice

Exclamation 1998 Blazer Door Panels removal/ speaker installation advice

I'm sorry if this a reoccuring thread. But I've been searching everywhere for this and have been unsuccessful. I was wondering, I have a 1998 Blazer LT, 4-door. I want to get new speakers. One of them just popped and I know the rest will pop shortly. First of all, what size speakers fit my vehicle? I've been told 4x6" on top of the dash and 6 1/2" on the doors. Is this true? Keep in mind I have a four door. Another thing, do-it yourself projects usually come out better if you generally know what your doing and save you a lot of money. So I was wondering how to take the door panels off both front and rear doors. Also, do I need to remove the dash for the 4x6s? If so how do I do that? If you could please give full detail information that would be awesome. If you know a link that would answer my question that would be awesome too. I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks!

removal is pretty straight forward... on the dash just simply take off the speaker grills and cut speaker wire and spilce. The doors, they are two bolts under the arm rest, and where the door handle is remove it and the door handle insert thing. The doors are held on by these plastic clip things just start the side or somewhere you can get a little leverage then pull hard they'll come out. On the rear doors take out the door handle insert bolt thing. Then on the arm rest there is a little cover inside the arm rest pop that off with a flat head screw driver or something. They are two bolts same process for the plastic tabs then there ya go.

So are the speaker measurements I gave correct? 4x6 in the dash and 6 1/2 in both front and rear doors?

Originally posted by quik_2_kurupt
    So are the speaker measurements I gave correct? 4x6 in the dash and 6 1/2 in both front and rear doors?
    i just finished puttin 6.5 comps in my doors.. all 4.. n they fit.. the dash i havnt done.. as mine are still stock.

1987 s10 2.5 auto - daily
    1985 jimmy 2 dr 2 wd 2.8 man - sold
    1986 blazer 2 dr 2 wd all options - sold
    1990 mazda b2200 - sold
    1998 blazer 4x4. - daily

Originally posted by miked
    i just finished puttin 6.5 comps in my doors.. all 4.. n they fit.. the dash i havnt done.. as mine are still stock.
    Thanks for letting me know.

NO! the fronts are 6 1/2 the backs are 5 1/4...6 and a halfs will not fit in the back, at least every 4 door ive seen. the front is a 1" tweeter on a 4x6 plate. if you didnt want 4x6's and you just wanted another tweeter u can remove the tweeter from that plate and put a new one in. u honestly dont even know when the dash speakers are on or off. i recomend getting components and placing the tweeters in the drivers door, drill out a 1" hole and put the tweeters by the door handle, sounds much better

as for removing the door panel, DO NOT PULL HARD u will break all the clips and then have to get new ones. once u have the bolts out and the clips off..pop up on the panel and it will come off..when u go to put it back on..make sure u go top first..and put the black rubber part around the window sill, it will pop into place first..if not uw ill have a gap between the window and the door panel

94 4dr 2wd jimmy - GONE!!
    98 4dr 4x4 blazer- GONE
    06 colbalt ss 4dr - GONE
    2012 Ram Sport 1500 QC

4 Door Love

If I replace the speakers, do I have to get speaker wire with it aswell?

when ubuy speakers they come with some speaker wire, just cut off the old connectors and splice the new ones on

98 4dr 4x4 blazer- GONE
    06 colbalt ss 4dr - GONE
    2012 Ram Sport 1500 QC

4 Door Love

I'm sorry but I suck at speaker system installation terminology, so I ask, what does "splice" mean?

cut the connector off the connector thats on there..take the connector with some wire out of the box with teh speakers u buy..strip the coating off the wire on each end, and tie the two wires together...(ghetto way)...or use a butt connector, insert wire in each end and crimp it together then tape it up. u will then have a new connector at the end of the wire

98 4dr 4x4 blazer- GONE
    06 colbalt ss 4dr - GONE
    2012 Ram Sport 1500 QC

4 Door Love

i put 6 1/2's in the back of my 99 4 dr. I do admit they were a little big but they sound great:bigthumb: . Got pioneers all around now, even 4x6's in the dash.

Well just wanted to let you all know that I had 6 1/2 inch speakers installed on all four doors and I didn't have any trouble. Thanks for everyone's advice!

I put Pioneer 4x6's in my dash and definately noticed a differance, and YES they can be heard.

I have a question. The 6 1/2'' that I bought have 100W power. Does the stock stereo push these speakers to full potential? I'm thinking about gettin 4 x 6s that are about 100W also.

Not even close, A nice aftermarket Pioneer CD player only puts out about 50 watts x4, you would need an amp with a nice deck if you want anything close to 100w per speaker, however, if a speaker is advertised as being a 100w speaker, I'd never put more than 80w to it or you're probably asking for trouble. Just like most amps that show 800w and actualy put out more like 1/2 that.