Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suicide hood mod

Suicide hood mod

Ok I've been doing mine and I am trying to finish it today. It's taken me more then 2 hours and Now I've found myself having to cut my hood up a little bit. I have to cut it so the hood will close all the way. I was just wandering if there are differences in the hood that was use in the how to for it. I've followed it and it seems like my hood is not the same as his. I'm just wandering.

www.cardomain.com/ride/1169679
    Check out my ride.

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar

Re: Suicide hood mod

Originally posted by layitlo_88
    Ok I've been doing mine and I am trying to finish it today. It's taken me more then 2 hours and Now I've found myself having to cut my hood up a little bit. I have to cut it so the hood will close all the way. I was just wandering if there are differences in the hood that was use in the how to for it. I've followed it and it seems like my hood is not the same as his. I'm just wandering.
    radiator over flow hitting maybe?
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

No I wish. I don't even have the stock overflow. I took it out and I took out the wheel wells too. I found the the hood was closeing on the top of the screws I used and when the hood closes but the front of the hood closes on the hinge in the front. I cut a piece out of the hood and it closes on that side all the way. I have to do the same to the other side. After that I think it will close. I was just thinking maybe the hoods are not the same on all of them. But I don't know. I did have to trim the little edge on the bottom of the hood and it closes over the screws now. That's all I can figure out. I still have a problem with the hook on the lock touching my bumper cover. I've looked at the rubber on the hinge where the hood stops and I think I'm gonna have to get me some new and thicker rubber to stop the hood from coming down that far and it will solve my problem. I've already moved my hinges as far forward as I can go with them. That's the only thing I can think of.

Check out my ride.

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    Originally posted by layitlo_88
    No I wish. I don't even have the stock overflow. I took it out and I took out the wheel wells too. I found the the hood was closeing on the top of the screws I used and when the hood closes but the front of the hood closes on the hinge in the front. I cut a piece out of the hood and it closes on that side all the way. I have to do the same to the other side. After that I think it will close. I was just thinking maybe the hoods are not the same on all of them. But I don't know. I did have to trim the little edge on the bottom of the hood and it closes over the screws now. That's all I can figure out. I still have a problem with the hook on the lock touching my bumper cover. I've looked at the rubber on the hinge where the hood stops and I think I'm gonna have to get me some new and thicker rubber to stop the hood from coming down that far and it will solve my problem. I've already moved my hinges as far forward as I can go with them. That's the only thing I can think of.

i had to put the hinges under the lip of the fender and put spacers to further move it down...
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

I didn't think about that. But I cut some out on one side and it seems to work good on that side. I just don't want to have to take the hood off all the way. My wife said it was supposed to rain so I need it to cover the motor. But If I have to I will. But trimming the hood does the same thing. I just have to fix the clearance issue with it. I'm not cutting much. So maybe it won't look to bad. It will get a new heat shield one of these days. Thanks for the input.

Check out my ride.

Well I just fixed my one issue with it touching the bumper with the latch. All I did was take a screw and a washer and put in it thru the rubber stopper on the hinge and put a nut on the other side and it stopped the hood from coming down to touch it. Now I have to do the other side to make it even. After I get to trim the hood a little it should work out really good. You know if you pull the rubber piece off the hinge there is a hole you can use to fune the screw into. I just wanted to let ya know.

Check out my ride.

sorry been away from the board for a bit... yes you HAVE to mount the hinges below the runoff lip for it to line up correctly... you might have to space it down abit to level it out...
    '50 Chevy Styleline... aka Voodoo Sled... 4dr to become a 2dr... choptop to come... 5.3/4l60e to come... bagged and laid out to come...
    Build Thread

'88 Blazer... Dropped 6in.. suicide hood... suicide doors... handmade one-off phantom grill... shaved bumper... shaved cowl... shaved doorhandles... frenched license plate... 350/TH350....My Blaz Page Check out my Suicide Hood How-to Suicide Hood Pics

Well I guess I'll have to fix it later. I can close it but it doesn't go done flush with the fenders. I have to have some help to do that. I've got everything else right but that. I happened to have cut the hood a bit to make it close better. But I still have to get those rubber hood stops in a couple of days to put on the back side. What do you suggest I get to put on the back side. Oh yeah I still have to have my bar welded back together. I don'
    t have a welder so I have to stop by some where and have it done. But the bar is held together with something else right now. My hood does open and close fine besides the hood not being flush with the top of the fenders. Thanks for the help.

Check out my ride.

youll prolly have to space the lower hinge bracket down with a couple washers under the runoff lip to get it to sit level with the fenders... as far as the support bar you can use a piece of 1/2" OD rod hammered inside to hold it together... im using a v8 manual fuel pump push rod...lol... i still havent used anything for the rear, but i havent really drove it too much to see if i need it or not... but ever ycase can be different..
    '50 Chevy Styleline... aka Voodoo Sled... 4dr to become a 2dr... choptop to come... 5.3/4l60e to come... bagged and laid out to come...
    Build Thread

'88 Blazer... Dropped 6in.. suicide hood... suicide doors... handmade one-off phantom grill... shaved bumper... shaved cowl... shaved doorhandles... frenched license plate... 350/TH350....My Blaz Page Check out my Suicide Hood How-to Suicide Hood Pics

Hey thanks. I used a clamp and some electrical tape for now. On thursday I'll be able to get what I need. But it works till sometime this month. Mpeace is coming out to give me a hand and we're goona do his here too. I'm going to pick up the hinge for his when I get a chance to. Hey do you know if this mod will work on a fullsize hood. I know it would if you take out the bar and use the hinges but you still have to support the hood from twisting. Could a flat piece of metal be used to do what the rod does? Thanks for your help.

Check out my ride.

for the fullsize why couldnt you just get some of the same size tubing and weld it to both ends of the existing tubed ends?
    Quote Originally Posted by bayhustle81 View Post
    can i add the vortec to this 4.3 if it didnt come with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post

I wasn't sure about which one would be better. But I guess if you cut the pipe in half and then weld in a piece that is the same size then I guess that would work too. I'm new to trying things like this.

Check out my ride.

yeah it will work for pretty much any application as long as there is somewhere to mount the hinges and enough clearance for the folded up hinges when closed (some relocating might be necessary) but if the hinges arent wide enough for the fullsize then you can extend the bar to fit, but you need a support bar of some kind to keep it from twisting...
    Build Thread

That makes sense. I just was wandering if a flat piece of metal attached from one hinge to the other. But instead of a round bar using a flat peice of metal to keep it from twisting. I was thinking it would be a cleaner install that way but I didn't know if it would work or not. I'm gonna keep this in mind for future hood cause there will be more if I can help. Hey how thick do the washers need to be to psace the hinge under the fender lips? I forgot to ask you about that. Thanks for the info with this.

Check out my ride.

i dont think flat stock will work unless its pretty thick... round or square would work better...

the thickness of the washers will depend on how far you need to space it down for the hood to sit level with the fenders... measure how high the hood sits above the fenders and get some washers the same thickness...
    Build Thread