Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6" Dropped 4x4 2nd gen

damn low dragging 4x4

6" Dropped 4x4 2nd gen

Well here is a pic of my friends 2nd gen 4x4 we just dropped. The back is sitting higher because his air shocks are filled. This is 5th 4x4 i have dropped this much with a kit i made and no problems at all. Let me know what u think:)
    president: Lower Level Customs car and truck club
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/locoblazer269
    90 BLAZER 4.3 4x4 dropped 7" fully shaved with full size chevy tails, 98 Honda accord ground effect, 2 inch cowl hood, truxarossa grill and mirrors, metal flake and yellow flamed paint job, molded wing, too much to list( back under construction! new front end to come... out with the fiberglass back with the metal!)
    87 blazer: 2wd under construction

damn low dragging 4x4
    pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    90 BLAZER 4.3 4x4 dropped 7" fully shaved with full size chevy tails, 98 Honda accord ground effect, 2 inch cowl hood, truxarossa grill and mirrors, metal flake and yellow flamed paint job, molded wing, too much to list( back under construction! new front end to come... out with the fiberglass back with the metal!)

looks pretty good, what kinda kit did you make?
    1990 S10 - Bagged - Shaved - SFBD'd

damn low dragging 4x4
    kinda hard to explain if you dont know what the underneath looks like. however this is the simplest way to do it i feel since it does not require removing the torsion bars or the keys at all. ALSO it gives you an adjustable 2"-6" drop.

Basically what u do is jack up the truck, remove the bolts from the torsion bars that most people use to crank the bars down with. Take a 2 jaw puller and clamp it to the torsion bar crossmember, then remove the tension from the torsion key. Now slide the metal block out that is just under the key (this block prevents the keys from going down and that prevents you from going lower). Now get some 1/4 inch steel and cut a square out of it with 4 bolt holes on the outside edges (these bolt holes will need to be lined up and later bolted to the crossmember) and make a center hole drilled and tapped for a 1/2 inch bolt (make sure all bolts used are grade 8). next bolt the plate below the torsion keys on the crossmember. then thread in a 2" long (or shorter for more of a drop) 1/2 inch grade 8 bolt in the center. After this is done on both sides then proceed to the front and either remove all or half of the front bump stops they will be in the way. now drop the truck down.

Now you can adjust the height of the truck with longer or shorter center bolts. Keeps the 4x4 intact and usable, didnt need to deal with removal of the torsion bars and makes it adjustable for people who might want a low 4x4 in summer but almost stock height in winter.

I'll do a how to for this as soon as i drop another one. But on my cardomain you can see all the blazers i have used this kit on and mine has been problem free for years now.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/689264

also anyone intertested in having this done let me know.

where are you located? would this be worth a trip into the states?

1987 s10 2.5 auto - daily
    1985 jimmy 2 dr 2 wd 2.8 man - sold
    1986 blazer 2 dr 2 wd all options - sold
    1990 mazda b2200 - sold
    1998 blazer 4x4. - daily

i did something similar with my truck, except i used a 1/2 gr 8 bolt contantly and made sleeves of different diameter that slid between the torsion crossmember through the bolt out of 4140 tool steel and then heat treated them, its definetley a way to lower a 4x4, but ride quality sufferes a lot, if i were to think about doing it again i probably wouldn't do it this way

93 Blazer 4x4 - 5.5/5, shaved For Sale
    95 S10 2wd - laying 20's with TB front end
    03 Blazer ZR2- stock and daily'd

damn low dragging 4x4
    Im located in New Hampshire. Definetly worth a trip if you want it done right and have a slammed or adjustable drop.

Flim, Ride quality of any 4x4 suffers with a drop larger than 3". To be honest it doesnt matter how you drop a 4x4 ride quality is mostly based on the shocks you use. When i drop a 4x4 i recomend the Belltech shocks made for their drop kit. They run the same price as most shocks but are made for a dropped 4x4. The belltech drop however i feel is more of a pain to do and isnt adjustableand basically all it does is move the position of where the key sits.

damn low dragging 4x4
    also an example is a 6" rear drop on stock shocks with no notch. Rides rough as hell and loud with the axle slamming the frame. however, if you do a simple suicide doors bolt in notch and air shocks i'd almost say it rides like a caddy

Under Construction 98low4x4blazer's Avatar
    nice work, its not the first time i have seen them lowered that way
    pic's of what my blazer used to be
    Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=22972

custom parts are built not bought

When its done, you'll wish it was yours.

when i search for New Hampshire i get a crap load of places.. narrow that down some?

1987 s10 2.5 auto - daily
    1985 jimmy 2 dr 2 wd 2.8 man - sold
    1986 blazer 2 dr 2 wd all options - sold
    1990 mazda b2200 - sold
    1998 blazer 4x4. - daily

Jk blazin, i would like to see a picture of the torsion bar crossmember to give me an idea, since my idea allows for very little adjustability, mainly just to level the truck off , im currently on a 5.5 inch drop and i am running the belltech shocks meant for the 3 in drop, but i wonder how do you setup your bumpstops if you have them in the front or not, i cut off my bumpstop and a little bit of the metal lip that dips down at the edge, did you cut this bracket off completely?

93 Blazer 4x4 - 5.5/5, shaved For Sale
    95 S10 2wd - laying 20's with TB front end
    03 Blazer ZR2- stock and daily'd

damn low dragging 4x4
    Im located in the capital of New Hampshire, Concord.

I cut the bump stop off. Depending on the size off the drop i cut the whole bump stop perch off and if you look on top of the upper control arm there there is a piece of metal that goes across the control arm preventing it from going all the way down. I just cut that out too.

do the halfshafts bind up at all? I used the belltec kit and lowered it as low as the front had little gap and it pushed out the inner cv "lube". no cracks in the boots it just pushed it out. by the way did that primed blazer ever sell?
    "road less traveled sure got a lot of stones"

'93 Typhoon / 97 Isuzu C-Town216's Avatar
    What about the negative camber?
    "All I need iz 1 mic"

damn low dragging 4x4
    The negative camber is there with a drop. You can get an alighnment but it can only correct so much.

No problems with cv shafts binding in any way. No problems with torn boots either.