Thread: 2.8L to 4.3L 4x4 conversion

2.8L to 4.3L 4x4 conversion

Okay, I'm sure this is covered somewhere.. I've got an 87 S10 4x4 5 speed with a 2.8L. My engine is tired and I sense death before too long. I really want to convert it to a 4.3L. I also want to keep it a 4x4, and I also want to keep it a Manual.

Could someone maybe outline a list of other things I need to change in order to do this? Engine, transmission...What Else? Do I need to install different cross-members? I work in a shop, so I have all the technical help I need, but as far as experience no one has done it...

well I see that lots of people have come to see this post
    but no one has said anything to help
    thanks!

My avalanche,totaled 8( POSblazer's Avatar
    Your going to need an engine, transmission, wiring harness, computer, radiator hoses, radiator, and the list goes on. Pretty much the same thing as 350 swap. Make sure you get a pre-89 wiring harness and transmission if you plan on keeping your stock gauges. In '89 they swapped to an analog speedo gauge. You might want to see if summitt has motor mount adapters, so you can use your 2.8 motor mounts.
    Last edited by POSblazer; 08-11-2006 at 03:28 AM.
    Update:My avalanche was totaled by my ex-gf. My business is in ruins. I now plan on finishing the engine repairs to my Saturn, and sell it. Once I get the bills paid off, I'm going to fix my Blazer.
    History:I bought a 2001 saturn sc2, then a 2005 avanche 1500 2wd, then a '87 S10 blazer 2dr 2wd on 07/24/2010, and on 04/01/2011 a '84 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd V8 drag racer(sort of)

I was trying to decide if it was worth it. Otherwise I'll sell mine and buy one with a 4.3 and a 5 speed. There's some around.

i think to go through all that work just for a 4.3 wouldnt be worth it, if anything small block it or buy a 4.3 truck

93 Blazer 4x4 - 5.5/5, shaved For Sale
    95 S10 2wd - laying 20's with TB front end
    03 Blazer ZR2- stock and daily'd