Thread: U-Joint replacement

U-Joint replacement

Who here has changed the U joint on the back axle... i was hearing this clicking sound that increased with speed... didnt click on very easy accel. or hard... but if u accel. regular it clicked loud... so i only assume its the U joint... i got it unbolted from the pumpkin but cant get the rest of it out of the drive shaft... it looks like it had a spot weld put down through a hole but im not postive... any info would be awsome...

97 chevy blazer 4 door 4wd 4.3L

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    when u pull the driveshaft you will need to press out the u joint you can do this with two sockets, one the size of the u joint and another a slight bit wider then the u joint and a vise if you dont have a press.

you need to remove one cap at a time to get the u joint its self out.
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

some gm driveshafts are filled with plastic to hold the caps in. you need to heat around the driveshaft and melt the plastic out. watch out it like to blow up when its heated
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    Originally posted by syclonekid43
    some gm driveshafts are filled with plastic to hold the caps in. you need to heat around the driveshaft and melt the plastic out. watch out it like to blow up when its heated
    hmm never had to do that.. the ones with the plastic ive delt with just pressed out no prob..
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

so advance musta gave me the wrong U joint then cuz the new one has C clips that expand not contract... do the replacment come with E clips to hold them in there then?... or how do they work out?

Also does that clicking sound from the back sound like what it could be?... i just bagged the back so i was thinkin maybe it threw it off its "usual" path of tavel and made a little flat spot or something... but also ive heard of the bearing inside the pumpkin going out

BTW thanks for the info so far I'll have to give it a try tomorrow

-Ben-

you got the right one. replacement ones have clips to hold them in. did you get one with a grease fitting?
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)

yeah its got a fitting... but these clips are made u like hold it in by the tips of the bearings instead of like a grove it would slide over... trying to think of a way to explain it... these expand into a grove... instead of what ive usualy seen that contracts into a grove... make any sense?

-Ben-

yeah i got ya. the clips are gonna go on the iside of the caps. there is a groove for where they go. i just replaced my stock one on my beater. i was shocked to get 190,000 miles out of it

ok i guess im going to draw a picture... it's going to be a quick paint one to explain what im talkin about so dont make fun haha

-ben-

top one is what i got bottom is what i expected...
    Attached Images Attached Images

bottom one is the one i got. top one. there gonna be no room at the end of the cap for it to fit on there