Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Gen Suicide Hood How To

91chevys10

2nd Gen Suicide Hood How To

Alright i know there is no how to for 2nd gen s-trucks so this afternoon i will be making one.. i just finished mine this morning and it took 5 hours start to finish and is some what different then the first gen. so stay tuned

also i need someones email address so i can send the pics and get them resized

thanks

Load them onto photobucket.com and then link to them. And hurry up, we want to see the pics. :bigthumb:
    VLAD

My 95

i thought it was an estimated 50 hours?!

use Fed-Ex I want a bonus Mr Bravada's Avatar
    OOOOOH S***

i wanna see this!!
    2000 Bravada
    "Big rims are like chicks wearing thongs, anyone can put them on....But that doesnt mean it looks good"
    VP S-Clusive Alaska Chapter
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2218780

Originally posted by Mr Bravada
    OOOOOH S***

i wanna see this!!

X2 Bad

-Ben-

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    when you get the how to up let me know.. ill add it to the user submitted how to's
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Originally posted by catch
    i thought it was an estimated 50 hours?!

holy fuck.
    or should i say holy dyslexia... i thought this said "suicide door how to"....

91chevys10
    ok after i type all this out im going to load the pictures on photobucket.com.

1. measure the width of the hinge, then measure the distance between the drip rails and cut the middle bar that goes between the hinges. I think it was around 4 inches and put a 1/2 inch round bar inside the bar to hold hinges together.

2. next take springs off of hinge but be careful i had one hit me in the head and it hurt like hell, put the hood mounts in the upright and forward position against the stops and place the hinge on the drip rail on the fenders and clamp them in place with vice grips. Place the hinge about 1/4 of an inch behind your headlight removal clips make sure they are not over top because you will never get your headlights out again, mark where you need to drill your holes in the drips rails and remove you hinge from the truck.

3. before you drill your holes you have to relocate your fuse box on the drivers side out of the way, all i did was unbolt it and push it agains my air box as much as i could ( you will see in the pictures on photobucket.com what im talking about and how far away). Then on the passenger side unbolt your ecm and push your ecm all the way back as much as possible so your hinge can lay down when your hood is closed.

4. before you drill your holes i would reccomend moving your battery i just missed mine when i drilled through the drip rails. Now drill all your holes and enlarge your mounting holes on the hinge ( the drill bit for this need is a 3/8 bit). After you have drilled your holes you can bolt your hinge on but instead of mounting them on top of the drip rail you need to mount them underneath which is nice because the base of the hinge cant bed your drip rail that much but use washer just to be safe, and use 3/8 bolts and nuts

5. now unbolt your hinge but not at the side of the hood but at the back by the base of the windsheild you will have the bolt and nut there because the metal peice on the hood is what i used to keep the back of the hood down when your driving.

6. its up to you if you want to remove your fender wells and all the washer bottle and coolant bottle but i didn't all i did is lay the hinge down and supported it with drill bits off the washer and coolant bottle and i took spray paint and put a heavy coat of paint on and quickly lined the hood up with the back hinge and latched the hood down then lifted the hood up and i could see the opening for the bolts and i just drilled in the center

7. now you are going to need 5/16 speed nuts and bolts. The marks on your hood from the hinge where it bolts to the hood, find center of the openings from the paint or your mark if you took the inner fenders off and drill them out with the 3/8 bit and about 1/2 inch away drill another 3/8 hole so you can slide your speed nuts in to attach your hood

8. now bolt your hood onto the hinge and your almost done! all that is left is some trimming the bart that goes between the hinges will hit the support structure under the hood so i put some lube on the bar and close the hood and where ever it hit i just notched the support structure so the hood will sit down properly. Next is the sides of the hood when you close your hood you may need to trimm the lower sides of your hood where the bolts are on the drip rail, i had to for mine. For where your hinge at the back of the hood it has a little lip on it to keep the hood from sliding forward you need to remove that or it will scratch your fenders all to crap, thats what happended to me but is ok im painting the truck soon anyway

9. now align your hood properly, and for the back of the hood i took a bolt that fit tightly into the holes and drilled it out and put a pin through it to keep it in place.

Thats the whole install, if you have any questions message me.

It took me 5 hours start to finish but i did it alone so it might go quicker if you have a buddy

91chevys10
    http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n81/02lowdime/

there is all the pics i have taken for now.. if you need more just let me know and i will take more pics

what did u steal the hinges off of?

-Ben-

*subscribes*
    CRUCIFIED CHRISTIAN CAR CLUB

http://lhfriv.org/crucified_car_club

Sponsors:

Rims/Tires: KMC Wheels

http://kmcwheels.com/

Sunroof/Interior: Corona Sunroofs

http://www.coronasunroofs.com/

Fiberglass work:Epicenterdesigns

EPICENTERDESIGNS

use Fed-Ex I want a bonus Mr Bravada's Avatar
    Originally posted by phatfarmer2
    when you get the how to up let me know.. ill add it to the user submitted how to's
    awesome, i know i'll be using it... i want to be the first in AK....lol
    2000 Bravada
    "Big rims are like chicks wearing thongs, anyone can put them on....But that doesnt mean it looks good"
    VP S-Clusive Alaska Chapter
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2218780

91chevys10
    sorry.... lol they are off of a 88 buick lesaber

how much differant is it for 94-97?
    89 2 door shaved door handles, emblems, moldings, antenna, wiper cowl,god fathers body kit (molded in the rear), cowl hood, fully bagged front,back,side to side with 1/2" everything.

91chevys10
    it should be the same for a 94-97 s-series, the hoods and fenders are interchangeable just what u have to move might be a bit different