Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Gen Suicide Hood How To

Ok, I fanaggled some hinges, removed the springs, and I narrowed the center part and spliced it together ( can I weld this part together?) set them in place and bolted them down up front, Can I leave the hood hinges bolted on for it to stay aligned and mark the new hinges and close the hood on to tranfer the marks to the hood instead?

Also, where the hood looks like it will set on the new hinges, there is an indention on that part of the hood, how'd you get it to sit flat?
    Last edited by Peacemaker1911; 08-31-2006 at 01:29 PM.

For with God nothing shall be impossible. Luke 1:37

Puttin the "Sport" in SUV hivoltagedriver's Avatar
    Originally posted by Peacemaker1911
    Also, where the hood looks like it will set on the new hinges, there is an indention on that part of the hood, how'd you get it to sit flat?

Ditto. One side of the hood has a pronounced indention in it, so the hinge will not bolt on level without either cutting one side, or notching the other. How DID you get around that??? That is one thing that has been holding me up fromdoing this conversion. I have had the hinge for a while, but no time to modify the hood.

I messed around with the engine compartment again today. I am getting everything ready so all I have to do is change the hinges over from the back to the front. So far, its been 1 hours worth of work. Its already marked and drilled out for the new hinges

I used some self tapper screws to hold the hinge in place while I checked everything for clearance. It made it easier to work the hinges up and down and adjust before drilling the bolt holes. Right now, I can just unscrew 2 screws and make everything back to factory hood and not have to worry about taking off 4 nuts and bolts and washers.

I took the fuse box and unbolted it and moved it over one bolt. I used the rear bolt closest to the motor and mounted it with the fuse box hole next to the fender and it gave me about an inch and a half of space for the hinge spring. The front fuse box mounting hole, I just bent it down to clear the main hot wire. That was enough to hold the fuse box in place.

On the passenger side, I removed the water overflow jug and bolted the ECM to the inner fender. I am going to the salvage yard tomorrow to find a simpler smaller water bottle. I also trimmed the passengers side hinge some off the bottom to clear the ECM just to make sure there was enough space.

I think all the bugs are worked out and I just need to add the filler panel I made for the hood indention on the drivers side.

Pictures coming later.

91chevys10
    for that indent under the hood there right where that one bolt needs to go for the hinge i just took the peice that i cut out of that bar and made a spacer for it and worked great for me, so try that it works

Hey there--been browsing the forum for a while

was checkin out this post and i noticed something.......that rear end.....those tail light "custom mounts" haha

91chevys10--see you around the bay :D we'll have to compare dimes sometime--i see your truck around all the time--specially at lakeshore timmy's

also looking to suicide my hood--maybe i'll get a pro to give me a hand :bigthumb:
    I swear officer--I have tranny problems---the tires just spin like that sometimes!! haha

91chevys10
    haha yeah gotta love thoes custom tail light mounts. good old 4x4 bolted to the frame then some angle iron haha.. yeah im always at the lakeshore timmy's my gf works there so i will usually hang out there alot. But unfortunatly im sure you know how bad the cops are up here and they finally pulled my truck off the road for being "unsafe" but yet again they say in the mto book that all you have to have is your tail lights permently fix to the truck and you have mud flaps which i do. Oh well the box is close to being done, i shaved the talegate in and put caddy tail lights in and shaved the gas door and a couple of other things to it so should be back on soon. but yeah i have seen your truck around too we should hang out some time at the timmys or where ever.

91chevys10
    oh yeah if u want to get the hood hinge go to cargo auto wrecker thats where i got mine

lol I was wondering how you had gotten away with it for so long! yea man wave me down sometime---lemme know if you need a hand doing any bodywork too--i know my shit if i do say so myself :D

BTW--brooks tire is closing down--selling a bunch of stuff at or below cost---i suggest you swing by and take a look if you want something new or even something to smoke off :cool: :bigthumb:

im headed there soon to see what i can find:D
    I swear officer--I have tranny problems---the tires just spin like that sometimes!! haha

91chevys10
    haha sweet, if there is anything that looks half decent in a 5 spoke and bigger then 17inch let me know lol but other then that yah.. im doing nothing tomorrow afternoon well between 11 and 3. by any chance do you have a welder? if not thats cool... if you wanna do the suicide hood let me know when i will be more then happy to help

yea man i'll take a look---gotta get a hold of my dad and see if he wants me to get him his new tires...i used to drive that truck:D

Ok, I got the hood on and it looks awesome. I came across one problem, the latch hook and spring sit on my front bumper.

91chevys10
    yeah about the latch and spring i just took them off. my hood still pops up a bit to unlatch with out the spring and now you really dont need the latch

Originally posted by Peacemaker1911
    Ok, I got the hood on and it looks awesome. I came across one problem, the latch hook and spring sit on my front bumper.

Nice, got any up close pics of the hood side mount?

With the hood off, I was able to take a hack saw to the hood to clear the cross bar on the hinges. I went the dept of the blade and simply pushed the cut piece in instead of cutting it off.

You could probably see where you need to cut. It is where the hood cross member is. Cutting it half way still retains the structual purpose. You can also see the filler brace I made .

Start to finish was about 1.5 hours. Not too bad.
    Last edited by Peacemaker1911; 09-09-2006 at 10:34 PM.

Cool, Thanks.