Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: steering shaft

steering shaft

well i finally got a new gear box and now its time for a steering shaft.

ive looked into the ford shaft and i actually had on in my box at the junkyard but the clamp connector that connects to the gear box dosent fit on my zq8 steering box. my dad also informed me that the ford shafts arent all they are cracked up to be.

the s10 shafts have a fabric rag joint and wear and cause slop.

well the for shaft has a rubber joint and doesnt break down but the slip joint on the shaft has a plastic "spacer' the wears over time and cuases the same sloppy ness

i also rememebr rilth mentioning a jeep shaft but ive never seen a wrangle in a yard. maybe i will try some jeep forums

anyone know of any other possibilities for a new steering shaft that can eliminate the sloppyness in the wheel?

thanks
    -mark
    Last edited by 6SpeedBlazer; 09-09-2006 at 08:10 PM.

i'm very interested in this as well tippman alot of your posts are usefull small things that make a truck feel better. my steering has alot of slop i need to fix this as well
    RUN WITH SIZZORS!!!, I DO!!!

94 sonoma ext cab daily

86 blaze 2 dr 2wd ... v8 and layd on 18's

jeep wranglers and cherokees will work. not sure what years though

My avalanche,totaled 8( POSblazer's Avatar
    Here's the Jeep steering shaft how-to
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showt...steering+shaft
    ...and if you can fabricate, you might want to add a rack & pinion
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showt...ack+and+pinion
    Update:My avalanche was totaled by my ex-gf. My business is in ruins. I now plan on finishing the engine repairs to my Saturn, and sell it. Once I get the bills paid off, I'm going to fix my Blazer.
    History:I bought a 2001 saturn sc2, then a 2005 avanche 1500 2wd, then a '87 S10 blazer 2dr 2wd on 07/24/2010, and on 04/01/2011 a '84 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd V8 drag racer(sort of)

already stated i was aware of the jeep shaft, but thanks for the help

Yea, I know. I just threw that out there for anyone else interested and looking. I'm bored!
    Update:My avalanche was totaled by my ex-gf. My business is in ruins. I now plan on finishing the engine repairs to my Saturn, and sell it. Once I get the bills paid off, I'm going to fix my Blazer.
    History:I bought a 2001 saturn sc2, then a 2005 avanche 1500 2wd, then a '87 S10 blazer 2dr 2wd on 07/24/2010, and on 04/01/2011 a '84 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd V8 drag racer(sort of)

a jeep wrangler is any one fo those common jeeps liek the tj yj type things does thew mod need to be form anyyear of those?
    RUN WITH SIZZORS!!!, I DO!!!

94 sonoma ext cab daily

86 blaze 2 dr 2wd ... v8 and layd on 18's

Originally posted by primus
    a jeep wrangler is any one fo those common jeeps liek the tj yj type things does thew mod need to be form anyyear of those?
    WHAT???:confused:
    Shown here are 3 intermediate shafts.
    From left to right. 1st is the OEM shaft w/ the rag joint, Center is the Grand Jeep Cherokee shaft, and the right one is the one from the Wrangler.

I've been looking at that pic for a while. There isn't an absorber in the Jeep shafts. So why couldn't you just take the OEM shaft, drill several holes, and run a few bolts throught all of that? Run some bolts through the metal the rubber and out the other metal side. Or maybe remove the rubber and bolt the two halves together.

check out syty.net. there was a post on there about steering shafts. one guy used a jeep one. everybody else gets a borgesen(sp) steering shaft. once i save up the cash im gonna get me a borgesen shaft
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

thansk im headed over there now.

Originally posted by POSblazer
    I've been looking at that pic for a while. There isn't an absorber in the Jeep shafts. So why couldn't you just take the OEM shaft, drill several holes, and run a few bolts throught all of that? Run some bolts through the metal the rubber and out the other metal side. Or maybe remove the rubber and bolt the two halves together.
    OK. I'm going to confirm and answer my own question. You can eliminate the rubber rag joint if you want to. It was easy and cheap, so I thought I would try it. First, I disassembled the whole rag joint.

Then I reassembled it using a couple bolts and nuts I had lying around.

That's it. It took under 30 minutes.

did you put it back on and test drive it?
    i always thought the rag joint had a bit of swivel in it like the upper joint on the shaft. please let me know. seeing my syclone eats rag joints all the time. i think one problem of mine has to do with the 9.5" wide rims out front and the awd also.
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)

Under Construction 98low4x4blazer's Avatar
    let us know how it works out
    pic's of what my blazer used to be
    Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=22972

custom parts are built not bought

When its done, you'll wish it was yours.

I reinstalled the steering shaft. Everything went back the same way it came off with no problems. Since I have the old engine sitting on the ground, I can't take it for a test drive. I don't see any binding. The rag joint doesn't seem to swivel at all.

cool. i have my old on here. i should take it apart and join it like you did. maybe over the weekend ill get it back in the syclone and go for a ride and see how she does.