Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: steering shaft

Originally posted by POSblazer
    There isn't an absorber in the Jeep shafts.
    I installed a steering shaft from a 1994 cherokee (not grand cherokee) in my 1988 4x4 blazer. It has an absorber on it. It looks just like the one in the middle in your pic.

Were the shaft meets the upper joint is filled with solid molded rubber.

http://www.pghconsulting.net/teal/shaft/shaft1.jpg
    1993 2wd 4.3l 5speed - lowered a little - other than that its stock - for now.

1988 s-10 blazer 4x4, belltech lowered 3", 99 dp front brake upgrade, completely rebuilt suspension with poly bushings - sold

Under Construction 98low4x4blazer's Avatar
    Originally posted by syclonekid43
    cool. i have my old on here. i should take it apart and join it like you did. maybe over the weekend ill get it back in the syclone and go for a ride and see how she does.
    did you do it yet?
    pic's of what my blazer used to be
    Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.aspx?profileid=22972

custom parts are built not bought

When its done, you'll wish it was yours.

My avalanche,totaled 8( POSblazer's Avatar
    Originally posted by allworksomeplay
    I installed a steering shaft from a 1994 cherokee (not grand cherokee) in my 1988 4x4 blazer. It has an absorber on it. It looks just like the one in the middle in your pic.

Were the shaft meets the upper joint is filled with solid molded rubber.

http://www.pghconsulting.net/teal/shaft/shaft1.jpg
    Oh well. There really shouldn't be much shock anyways. One thing I realized is that the steering wheel is going to be 90* off. I have to pull the steering wheel and re-install it. I'll have my Blazer completely reassembled in the next few days. So if Syclonekid hasn't tried it yet, I will be trying it out soon.
    Update:My avalanche was totaled by my ex-gf. My business is in ruins. I now plan on finishing the engine repairs to my Saturn, and sell it. Once I get the bills paid off, I'm going to fix my Blazer.
    History:I bought a 2001 saturn sc2, then a 2005 avanche 1500 2wd, then a '87 S10 blazer 2dr 2wd on 07/24/2010, and on 04/01/2011 a '84 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd V8 drag racer(sort of)

Originally posted by 98low4x4blazer
    did you do it yet?
    no i blew the syclone up. so shes parked behind my shop till next year:mad: :mad:
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

I've done the rlith Grand Cherokee shaft mod. There isn't any vibration or slop, even at higher speeds. The feel back at the wheel is real positive. Not a bad mod for 25$

The only thing I did different from rlith was removing the input shaft from the steering column and grinding it down, instead of grinding the Cherokee shaft; just in case the shaft ever needed to be changed.

bump, the blazer needs a shaft to pass instection and i was thinking about just bolting it up, any updates guys?

i seen in jegs or summit, u can buy steering shaft material, "d shaft" and steering joints, for decent price i think i might go that route
    RUN WITH SIZZORS!!!, I DO!!!

94 sonoma ext cab daily

86 blaze 2 dr 2wd ... v8 and layd on 18's

Originally posted by tippmann243
    bump, the blazer needs a shaft to pass instection and i was thinking about just bolting it up, any updates guys?
    The whole cherokee steering shaft is too short to put in a 2wd blazer, but you might be able just to swap the bottom joint and shaft.

for anyone who cares, removing the rag joint and simply bolting the two halfs togeterh wont work unless you remove the steering wheel and rotate it 90*

Originally posted by POSblazer
    Oh well. There really shouldn't be much shock anyways. One thing I realized is that the steering wheel is going to be 90* off. I have to pull the steering wheel and re-install it. I'll have my Blazer completely reassembled in the next few days. So if Syclonekid hasn't tried it yet, I will be trying it out soon.
    well shit disregard my post above it helps to be able to comprehend what you read

:doh:

when you say "slop" in your steering, what exactly do you mean by "slop"? I'm having steering problems. does anyone know how much it would cost to get this done at a shop?

slop is being able to turn the wheel X* off center without the steering reacting

before i changed the shaft in the blazer i had about 45* of play in each dirrection

before i changed the shaft in the blazer i had about 45* of play in each dirrection
    Damn. Ever get any bad bumpsteer and shit your pants?:D

no but durring hard braking it would dart left

oh and when i removed the steering shaft the rag joint was GONE nothing left, so the only reason the steering worked was due to the two piece hitting and binding up

no but durring hard braking it would dart left

oh and when i removed the steering shaft the rag joint was GONE nothing left, so the only reason the steering worked was due to the two piece hitting and binding up
    Fuck Nationwide, you've got God on your side.:bigthumb: