Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Problems, possibly Power Brake Booster

Brake Problems, possibly Power Brake Booster

I'm having problems getting my truck to stop. I recently replaced the front disk pads but it didn't fix the problem. When I press the pedal it travels about 3/4 towards the floor then gets hard but doesn't stop. I can't even stop in my driveway. I bled both wheels several times today and yesterday, all of the air is gone but it still doesn't stop.

My Power Brake Booster is making a gushing air sound when I press the brake pedal and as I hold it. I have a Hayne's repair manual and it has a few tests to check and see if it's Air Tight and it fails two of the tests. I've checked all of the hoses and everything is connected and leak free. I'm about to check the Check Valuve but I just wanted everybody's input. Thank you

brake problem

could be a booster problem,but i would check the valve first,then remove master from booster [leave hoses attached] and see if there is brake fluid in the booster hope it helps alkyholic:bigthumb:
    alkyholic snoopracing101@yahoo.com

with the engine off, pop the check valve out of booster it should hiss a bit from air rushing in.if it doesnt its bad the rear seal in booster is prolly bad..90% of time hard pedal no stop means booster...
    Stroke ME!!!:D :smoker:
    1986 2dr 2WD S10 Blazer
    1989 E/C 4WD S10 P/U
    1995 E/C 2WD Silverado
    1994 Chevrolet Beretta
    1997 Hyundai Elantra

It could be your master cyilnder. It's allowing the fluid to bye pass.
    Originally posted by Blazin Low
    LOL, LMAO, ROFL! Tee-Hee!!! You freakin cornball.

But, that won't make the gushing air sound while holding it. I say the booster is bad.

Lastnight I replaced the left brake hose and caliper because they needed to be replaced. The truck stops better but the hard pedal is still there.

The pedal goes about half way down with no braking power and then the pedal gets hard. If you press hard enough the pedal will go past the hard spot and loosen up, which is when the brakes kick in but not as good as they should. This makes braking at slow speeds almost impossible.

I removed the check valve and put it in my mouth where the vacuum house hooks to it. I can suck air throught the vavle but I can't blow air into it, so it's working.

Is the engine RPM saposed to increase when I press the brakes? When I press the brakes the engine's RPM's increase. I'm thinking the booster is leaking allowing air to get into the vacuum hose causing the engine to speed up.

brake problems

its time to replace the brake booster,alot of the time you can buy a combo booster/master cyl. kit cheaper than buying seperately have fun and hope that helps ya alkyholic:bigthumb:
    alkyholic snoopracing101@yahoo.com

Sombody correct me if i'm wrong about this, but dosn't the Break Booster just help make it easyer to push on the petal?
    Because you should be able to stop your trcuk with the motor off.
    But hey, if i'm wrong say.
    I like to learn more everyday.
    Originally posted by Blazin Low
    LOL, LMAO, ROFL! Tee-Hee!!! You freakin cornball.

The truck stop's just not as good as it should. Once the pedal gets hard and you press harder, it stops. I can't get the wheels to lock up and ABS to kick in anymore like I used to be able to, just not enough stopping power.

What do you mean by the Master Cylinder could be allowing fluid to bypass? I notied when the brakes were being pumped that there are alot of bubbles shooting around in the Master Cylinder reservoir. Is this normal or is air getting into the Master Cylinder somehow?

Thanks

like i said earlier in this post put a brake booster on it...ive run into this plenty of times...the rear seal in your booster is bad..put the booster on bleed the master cylinder and rebleed all of the brakes starting at the right rear then left rear then right front then left front...your brakes should then work decent again..as long as nobody has messed with the abs module or nething like that.:rofl: :bigthumb:
    1986 2dr 2WD S10 Blazer
    1989 E/C 4WD S10 P/U
    1995 E/C 2WD Silverado
    1994 Chevrolet Beretta
    1997 Hyundai Elantra

Well everything seems to be pointing at the Booster, the noise the brakes are making, the tests it fails, etc. so I'm going to go ahead and replace it.

Thanks everybody for your help, can always count on blazin low

Installed the new Booster today and everything works great. The Truck has never stopped so good. I realised that the booster has been blown ever since I've owned it. It must have had a rip or tear or something in the diaphram and it slowly got bigger and worse.

Thanks again fro your help

I have to replace my booster, again. It has all of the same problems. I can't believe it only laster a year. Since then I've replaced my Master Cylinder and everything and now my Booster goes right after my Master Cylinder. The Master Cylinder wasn't leaking into the Booster though. I have the worst problems with my brakes.

I got the Booster from AUTOZONE I usually shop at Advance but they didn't have it. It's covered under warranty so it won't cost anything.
    Last edited by Black91Blazer; 10-21-2007 at 03:40 PM.
    1991 S-10 Blazer - 4 Door - Digital Dash - 4X4 - 4.3L V6 262 CID TBI - Daily Driver
    CarDomain
    1991 S-10 Blazer - 4 Door - Digital Dash - 4X4 - 4.3L V6 262 CID TBI - Project Truck
    CarDomain
    4 Door Love
    Digital Love

wont cost any except the time to replace it again within a short period of time...I would demand refund and get one somewhere else Autozone sux..
    just my .02
    1986 2dr 2WD S10 Blazer
    1989 E/C 4WD S10 P/U
    1995 E/C 2WD Silverado
    1994 Chevrolet Beretta
    1997 Hyundai Elantra

Yeah if it breaks again I'm going to try and get my money back and order something better.
    Last edited by Black91Blazer; 10-26-2007 at 06:04 AM.
    1991 S-10 Blazer - 4 Door - Digital Dash - 4X4 - 4.3L V6 262 CID TBI - Daily Driver
    CarDomain
    1991 S-10 Blazer - 4 Door - Digital Dash - 4X4 - 4.3L V6 262 CID TBI - Project Truck
    CarDomain
    4 Door Love
    Digital Love