Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: i need to know everything for a v8 swap

Exclamation i need to know everything for a v8 swap

to help everyone and myself i need a list of everything to complete a v8 swap and what needs to modified to make it work like the lenght of the driveshaft and beating back the firewall on the pass. side i know there is a how to section on how to do it but there isnt a thread with all the parts you gotta search here and there and if you miss one it costs you time and for people like me that need to have it done this week that searching around dont help so please post all info and more if you have it

There is an absolute ton that you are going to need to research/learn/read about before you attempt the v8 swap. Unfortunately, no 2 swaps are the same.

There is no way for any of us to tell you the exact length your driveshaft will have to be, simply because we don't know how far back you're going to set the motor.

We can't tell you what needs modified and what doesn't because we don't know what engine your running, what your future plans are for the truck (body drops, suspension drops, other modifications).

Your best bet is to do as much research here and at other s10 related websites and then come back with more specific questions, then we can help you more.
    LT1/4L60E/Shaved handles, emblems, antenna/5-4 Drop/16" Xtreme Wheels.

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

thanks i read more under the post that i was suppose to my adhd just got the best of me i wrote the list down and will try to do the swap when weather looks better and when a$$holes allow me to use tools and sorry i didnt find the thread i needed to until after i posted this im still like 2 days new i think

Very well said Sean, very well said. :bowdown:
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Originally posted by stock834x4
    ... i was suppose to my adhd just got the best of me

adhd and V8 swap might not mix

Originally posted by bigjsp
    adhd and V8 swap might not mix
    Originally posted by ZZ4Blazer
    Very well said bigjsp, very well said. :bowdown:
    Otter fan club CEO

Originally posted by SpikesBlazin
    dont worry i like them black too. :omg:
    "A little knowledge of science makes man an atheist, but an in-depth study of science makes him a believer in GOD."
    Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Re: i need to know everything for a v8 swap

Originally posted by stock834x4
    ....... like me that need to have it done this week...
    Are you trying to V8 and maintain the 4x4

what are you starting with 2.8 or 4.3?

you need to provide the basic information before we can begin to ask questions like

daily driver, streetable weekend warrior, all out drag but still licensed.

headers or manifolds

fuel injected or carbed

standard or auto.

etc. etc. etc. SO MANY CHOICES

I have 3 V'ed S- series (avatar) and helped with 2 others .......... every one has been different.

LIMO truck - started as a carbed 350, long tube headers with Nash 5 speed manual with Air Conditioning
    then it got sanderson headers
    then factory exhaust manifolds and a turbo 400

The 88 blazer has a fuel injected LS1 / 4l60E with stall convertor and Air conditioning

The orange "twin" truck
    started with a 400 roller cammed small block, 350 turbo tranny w/ manual valve body ............
    now its "Special" :)

My father's S15 has a fuel injected LT1 / 4l60E automatic with factory exhaust manifolds and Air conditioning

S/T Lovers truck had a carbed 350 / 700R4 with shorty headers

so in summary

carbed, LT1, LS1
    5speed, t350, t400, 4l60E, 700R4
    factory manifolds, shorty headers and long tube headers

I haven't done a 4x4 .................................................. yet

Fully Erect Member
    mind you it will not take a weeks time to swap it. especially if you havent done a motor swap before. and if you decide to lose the 4x4 components it saves you alot of headaches

Originally posted by trailblazin
    mind you it will not take a weeks time to swap it. especially if you havent done a motor swap before. and if you decide to lose the 4x4 components it saves you alot of headaches
    better clarify - do you think it will take less than a week or more than a week.

to go to 2WD he would have to fabricate a tranny mount and get the driveline angle correct at the same time.

Fully Erect Member
    Originally posted by bigjsp
    better clarify - do you think it will take less than a week or more than a week.

to go to 2WD he would have to fabricate a tranny mount and get the driveline angle correct at the same time.
    more than a week. :D

i know it will take more than a week, but tryin to cut it as close as possible. im gettin lots of help, im still missing things like the rad and im not sure about the mounts cause it has a 3.4 in it. dont know how or why but it does. also its a t350 and the engine all i know about it is its a 350. i am losin all the 4x4 parts so they will hopefully be for sell if i can find someone interested and if i dont break them. i plan on doin a 6 inch drop up front and leveling it and doin the four disc setup. im gonna have to practice patience gettin it in, i know, but im excited to start. will my brake booster be strong enough for all this, if not then what will swap without to many mods as i have no welder at my house. my brother does and he has to do all my welding and i cant get the truck there till it runs. i will do the t bar trick and then have it aligned but not after long cold days of ridin a motorcycle 60 miles one way in the winter. its all i got till this things gets goin which is why the big rush. i will run factory size wheels and tires till summer when i haved saved enough and cleaned the body up some. i hope i answered all the questions, o wait it is carbed but i want to change that possibly this summer. know i wont get to till i have money and since i dont need to open anymore post things. can any of you tell me how much it costs to get a new windshield and how far foward or back can i slide the v8 in the engine bay so that i dont have to cut or buy a new driveshaft (am not cutting driveshaft)? estimates are fine i need some way of bein able to picture it. will my power steering on it now still work fine or at least till summer? yes this will be my first swap but i need to get all the parts together so i dont die of pnuemonia or gettin hit by some idiot doin doughnuts in the road, ridin the bike. thanks for all the answers and help for those who do help, o i forgot something the exhaust will have to be stock till i have money to swap them to whatever you guys think would work best. will eventually be a daily, streetable, show, but thats many many years down the road right now. i need something to get me out of the weather!!!!!!!!! for superbee
    Last edited by stock834x4; 10-28-2006 at 12:28 AM.

just so everyone knows my name does not suggest the engine its more the boddy cause its the only part i believe actually has the 200000 miles on it like the odometer says

Banned
    Before ANYONE attempts to read that, please for the love of god, wait for him to edit it with periods.

If your on a time crunch, and youve pulled an engine out of somthing before, you should easilly get it completly done in under a week. ( if your keeping it somwhat simple)

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Blazinlow is for fags BlazinCrisco's Avatar
    lol cliff notes please

sorry im not into punctuation where do you think ill have troubles with the swap