Thread: Painting Interior Plastics --- Part 2

Fiberglass Fabrication EpicenterDesigns's Avatar
    Bradenton- FL........hammerin'-grindin'-sandin'-primin'

Painting Interior Plastics --- Part 2

I was waiting for this time to come along. Where I can put pictures with the words so you may better understand it.

Or will it confuse you more??

This gets even better though. The interior I am doing was already painted...WRONG.

So from what I can tell, these pieces were just painted right over with no prep. The reason I can tell this is because of the discoloring and peeling and bubbling it has in some places. Bad news is, I didn't take close up shot of them before I stripped them clean.

Here are a couple pics of the pieces.............

Since these were previously painted, I couldn't just follow the steps in the other thread. I had to strip the old paint off.

So out came the 3" DA sander with some 80 grit paper on it.
    Didn't do much. There were some places the paint was burned in from the sun. Some places it flaked off with an air blower on it.
    So I busted out an angle grinder with some 36 grit. That was the ticket.

In the pic here, on the right side where it is barely sanded off, that was the 80 grit. The rest of it was removed with 36 grit..........

Using the 36 grit has a two fold positive effect. It quickly removes the previous crappy paint job, but it also is removing a thin layer of the plastic. That will help with the cleaning of it when it comes to oils from the paint or from the early cleaning of the panels before the paint was added last time.

So I sat down and make a huge dusty mess and got so into the work that I didn't take as many pics as I wanted to.

Here is the pile of pieces all stripped down...........

Monday morning I will go over all the pieces with the 80 grit DA sander to smooth out the rough 36 grit marks that are left. Then to some hand sanding in all the corners and edges that I can't get with a sander.

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer than the sweetness of that cheap price!

I have misplaced my 80 grit DA sanded panels.
    Then they were hand sanded with 220.
    When I find those pics, I will edit them in.

Here is a pic of the wax and grease remover used on the panels to clean them up after the sanding process.....

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer than the sweetness of that cheap price!

Here is a pic of the aheasion promoter used to make the primer stick to the plastics.......

And the pile of primed panels drying.
    There were alot of work to prime all at once. And it took a little over 1 quart to do them all in 1 coat. They need another coat, but I ran out of Slick Sand. Shame on me.