Thread: header bolts and gaskets

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar

header bolts and gaskets

what kinda bolts to you run that dont lossen up.. mine all were compoletly loose with in a week of driving my blazer when it was on the road.. are there some types of locking header bolts? or what about thread locker or soemthign?

also whats a good header gasket to run?
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Re: header bolts and gaskets

Originally posted by phatfarmer2
    what kinda bolts to you run that dont lossen up.. mine all were compoletly loose with in a week of driving my blazer when it was on the road.. are there some types of locking header bolts? or what about thread locker or soemthign?

also whats a good header gasket to run?
    my headers came with bolts and they are still tight after about 15 start to full temp cycles.

im also using rtv ultra cooper instead of gaskets

I like the dead soft aluminum gaskets myself. Seem to be working pretty decent.

Unless your using a set of sanderson headers, in which you should follow their instructions using rtv
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Banned
    hey phat, try tightening them down, and do it once more maybe a week later and see if they stay. Mine are the ones that came with hedman, i put them on and havent touched it since.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

copper RTV on the gaskets, dead soft aluminum collectors and ARP studs with teeth lock washers

Seems i always end up with ARP bolts for header bolts, when changing the gaskets or installing i always tighten well, start it up and let it get good and hot, shut it off then once the motor is back to cool go back over all the bolts again. Some will sorta loosin. I also always start in the middle and go out. Remember not to tighten one tight first thing, snug each then do the cross pattern as if like you were installed a cylinder head.

Also on gaskets if you dont want to spend a crazy amount on copper or aluminum buy some Mr. Gaskets Ultra Seals. Cheap but last for a long while.

after going though every type of headder gasket, cooper, dead soft aluminum, ultra seals......i said the hell with it and bought some good old paper and put RTV around each port on both sides of the gasket...then found some headder bolts that use safety wire to keep them from backing out...the safety wire looks pretty cool too
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

It's all about to change winditup57's Avatar

Re: Re: header bolts and gaskets

Originally posted by tippmann243
    my headers came with bolts and they are still tight after about 15 start to full temp cycles.

im also using rtv ultra cooper instead of gaskets
    I am with him..but I have more start times than he does without fail. I also run the sandersons...which are for sale...:smoker:

Re: Re: Re: header bolts and gaskets

Originally posted by winditup57
    I am with him..but I have more start times than he does without fail. I also run the sandersons...which are for sale...:smoker:
    my headers were on a motor for over 3 years and they never developed a leak :D

the original owenr said to use rtv and im very happy with it so far

I always have like the cheaper metalized gaskets that you break into 3 pieces,.......... but they are harder to install.

I tend to use the Copper Rtv on everything since I don't really use enough to justify buying regular and hitemp

I also prefer allen style bolts