Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine upgrade time

Tahoe Owning Member

engine upgrade time

Well since my other post about blowing my engine I have finally found one online that isnt to badly priced and seems like it would work fine in my truck. I have a 1998 4 door tahoe with a vortec 5.7 in it right now thats blown. I found this small block 350 online but its a TBI unit. I'm no pro on engines so basically wa I need to know is, will this engine bolt up 2 my tranny I have now? is this engine fuel injected? what exactly is the difference between the vortec and TBI and will it cause computer problems? I'm looking for an engine that will be able to be dropped in and hooked up with minor modifications.

http://nightwolfengines.com/350_tbi_stage_2.htm

Its the 1st one in that list with 346 HP and 423 ft lbs with the hydraulic roller.

Banned
    Good luck tuning a 345 hp tbi engine.

The tbi and vortec are different injection and computer systems. To make it easiest on you, stay vortec injection to keep all the stock wiring and computer, get a new or used v8 block if the old one had a rod throw through it or somthing.

Use your old vortec head which are great, get them hottanked and redone, and a few performance mods, get a decent sized cam with maybe 216ish duration and mid 400's or a little higher lift and a 112 lobe separation to keep the computer happy. 9ish to 1 compression, roller rockers, headers and call it a day. Probably fall short of your 345 goal but will still be a stout motor. if you got the cash you can of course go more wild than that.
    Last edited by Superbee; 02-08-2007 at 08:54 PM.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Tahoe Owning Member
    Well the company emailed me back today and told me that engine would not be a direct drop in and basically said what you told me.. however he does make replacement vortec engines and said he would build it and have it shipped to my door minus intake manifold and heads, which I would use off my engine now just get the heads cleaned up so they are better, for $3490. I dont think that sounds to bad I'm just still very iffy on ordering an engine online even though it has a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty. He says this engine will have 337 HP nd 435 ft lbs, and for $3790 he would send me a new computer to be reprogramed to what I want, but I think I'm gonna go with a Wheatley tuner anyway since I can send it back if I do something else to my truck like new gearing. So for $3490 to my door with that much power do you guys think its worth it? My mechanic priced out some engines for me and the only engine he found for under 5 grand would be a direct replacement, which isnt what I want.

Banned
    thats kinda high, shit for a short block???? Forget that.

What exactly happened to the "blown" engine?

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

It's all about to change winditup57's Avatar
    Screw that noise. I dont have that much in my forged 383 short block.

I would find a local machine shop to do the work for ya and save about 1/2 that.

[http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...view=sku&RC=10]
    Around here it would cost around $6-700 to have the engine redone with the machine work that you would need. You would have to remove/install it yourself for that though.

I would defianatly stay with the Vortec though..no sense in downgrading technology.

http://www.rhinoengines.com/gm57engines.htm

your engine would be the last on the list at the very bottom of the page. much better price and they are located in NY

It's all about to change winditup57's Avatar
    Yep, there ya go. Way cheaper and is in your backyard..

Tahoe Owning Member
    isnt that just a drop in same exact replacement engine though?? if so what kinda mods should I also get for it so I can have that down low power.

and superbee... when u start the engine up u hear atleast 2 pistons grinding into the cylinder walls and it will only run for mayb 10 seconds then stall out. I know the number 5 cylinder is shot bc when it 1st happened I got the computer scanned nd it read that.

Tahoe Owning Member
    well I sat down and went through my summit catalog for to beef that engine up alittle. Here is whats I came up with...

MSD ignition
    Powermaster 150 ft lb starter
    Crane Cam with a 216/228 duration and a 454/480 lift
    Roller rocker arms (Not sure if I need the 1.5 or 1.6 ratio)
    New Water Pump
    Wheatley tuner
    Going to get my vortec heads I have now cleaned up to reuse

All I need is a nice intake manifold unless I stick with the one i have on my motor now. All together that engine and all those modifications are gonna come out to close to 3 grand. Still under what that other company quoted me so I guess thats not to bad

your starter isnt going to add power lol.
    the only reason you would need that starter is if you are running really high compression or something and you dont have new pistons on the list..

and the water pump, unless its electric or something wont do a whole lot either. but maybe yours is shot and needs replaced.. i dunno..

if you want to do some upgrades, why dont you look into pistons and i dunno if you can do this with your current computer, but stroke it?

Originally posted by lowestyet1
    your starter isnt going to add power lol.

if you want to do some upgrades, why dont you look into pistons

Making a crack at him on the starter....but you recommend to him better pistons as a performance upgrade?? :rolleyes:
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Tahoe Owning Member
    I figured since its a new engine going in and who knows how old my starter is on my truck now why not upgrade it... and I could take the water pump off my engine now, but to put parts off an engine with 95,xxx miles onto a brand new engine when those parts arent to expensive so why not. Im planning on buying that replacement motor from rhino engines that 00blazer showed me and just doing a few things to add power. I dont really want to tear it apart since its already built to put different pistons or even stroke it. The wheatley tuner is highly talked about over on fullsizechevy.com and I believe is the best bang for my buck so thats why I want to go for that one. Should I stick with my existing intake or any recomendations on a new one?? Also does that cam sound like the right size for my truck. I want it to have that lopey sound and get the 35's moving when I need but I dont want to be getting worse gas mileage then already.

Drop ya a real motor down in that unit......

Tahoe Owning Member
    haha ya notice they dont mention the atleast 8 grand price tag to go along with it. and my 10 mpg right now with the 35s would then drop down to about 3 mpg. I'd love to have something like that but this is my DD and it already gets shitty gas mileage and I'm not made of money.

Actually.... the price tag on that bad boy is $13,950 minus carberator and ignition.. I know that motor wouldnt make for a very good street driver, actually only for trailering to and from.

I wouldnt mind having one myself, ive had alot of 550+ HP motors that were fun on the street, but imagine that motor blowing around 250 shot on, looking at almost 1100 hp. Take more then a blazer to keep that thing down on the ground.