Thread: Which transmission for v8 4x4 conversion

Which transmission for v8 4x4 conversion

I just purchased a 1985 S10 entended cab 4x4 that the previous owner installed a Chev 350 completely rebuilt, how ever it did not come with a transmission. The motor is non computerized.
    I was told by the previous owner that any 700r4 from a S10 with a 4.3 will bolt right up. My quess would be that some 700r4's would be computer operated. Not sure what to look for to purchase. Any information would be appreciated.
    Thank
    back-n-black

PO is correct. The electronic version is called a 4L60E. A 700R4 from any full size truck or 4.3 S-10 from '89-'92 will be OK, but one from a truck V8 will probably have better shift point calibration for your 350. You will also need a bracket/adapter to hook up the cable from the trans to your throttle. Also, you will want to be able to lock up the torque converter, so do a web search for TH350 to 700R4 conversion. You will find several vendors who make tha parts you need.
    Rick
    '92 Typhoon

Thanks Turbodog,
    If I were to purchase a TH350 would I need any type of adpters?
    Would this be a better way to go?

Thanks for the advise.
    Back-n-Black

Banned
    With the 700, you'll have the lockup and overdrive, which is great, so keep that in mind if this is going on the highway.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4