Thread: 1st gen front axle engagement - changing to manual

1st gen front axle engagement - changing to manual

On one of the worst winter days (yesterday) I find out that my 4x4 is not working. I'm pretty sure the front axle is not engaging. I have had problems with it before.

How anyone switched their front axle to engage manually with a cable from that mount to the dash?

Did you use a kit or make your own?

If you made your own what type of parts did you use?

Thanks, Cory
    1993 2wd 4.3l 5speed - lowered a little - other than that its stock - for now.

1988 s-10 blazer 4x4, belltech lowered 3", 99 dp front brake upgrade, completely rebuilt suspension with poly bushings - sold

You mean the Posi-lock kit? I've heard they are a PITA to install and you can still end up with problems with the cable....

When mine went out, it was the switch on the t-case that went bad... wasn't sending vacuum to the actuator under the battery. SO, I got an extra piece of vacuum line and a T, plugged one end of the line on to the vacuum actuator under the battery, put the T in and a small piece of line, then unplugged the line from the vacuum ball, placed the small piece directly onto the ball and the line that went to the ball onto the other part of the T. When I need 4wd, I just plug it in, when I don't I leave the vacuum line direct to the ball. Quick fix, I know, but works in a pinch.

You just gave me an idea, we have manual vacuum switches here at work.
    1993 2wd 4.3l 5speed - lowered a little - other than that its stock - for now.

1988 s-10 blazer 4x4, belltech lowered 3", 99 dp front brake upgrade, completely rebuilt suspension with poly bushings - sold