Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some questions

Question

Originally posted by dexter544
    I would but I just thought about it the bag plates have to be welded,Just about anything you get is going to need some welding if you was closer to me (Lilburn GA) Me and my friends could help you out with the welding though.
    I can get some wielding done, just trying to keep it as minimum as I can.

I'll be pulling in some favors for that so I don't want to tie anyone up for days at a time.

My goal with the wielding is to try and keep it to a saturday (and maybe sunday) afternoon affair (no idea how long it actually takes to wield up the brackets).

So I don't mind the wield on tabs with this one, I just want to make sure it'd work with a c-notch and still get plenty of travel (the type of notch should only impact how low I can go, but I'm being careful here, new territory and all).

Thanks for the help, would be nice to be closer to some other people doing this stuff, I've not seen many people locally bagged. One or two I think might be, but that's about it.
    -Tom

Yeah it will give you huge travel mine goes about 8 to 9 inches,I'm just running a mini c for the crooked frame,Is yours a 4 door or 2 door blazer?

Thumbs up

Okay, just talked with the guys at silverstar and they'll sell it without the notch for $50 off. So it looks like this is the way to go.

Which bags would be best for this application? 6,7 or 8?

I'm probably going to run 6 or 7 up front (need to figure out which will fit with new upper/lower control arms and eyebrowing the frame rail).

Thanks for the help, I'm trying to plan all this out ahead of time, hoping to get started by April/May. Everyone's busy, of course, so I'm trying to time it all out so it'll get done right and on time. :)
    -Tom

Question

Was thinking, if I went with cups instead of new control arms I can save myself around $600. If do this I know I'll still need to eyebrow the frame and, if I've read right, "pie cut" the upper control arm.

What's involved in this? And what I'm I making room for with this cut, the airline?
    -Tom

Well I personally would run 2500 pound bags all around the truck,
    especially on the front.

By the way you don't need control arms unless you want it to lay out.Just get the bolt in cups for the front,The front is super easy,But when you do eyebrow the frame make sure you cut enough or else the bag will rub.

Cool, thanks. :)

Are the RE7's the right bags for this? Here's what I'm thinking:
    Suicidedoors.com:
    Starter Kit $700
    Bags (4) $300
    Shock Relocators $70
    C-Notch (bolt in) $50
    Front Cups: $80

Starcustoms
    Blazer 2 link (no notch) $400

total: $1600

I think this gives me all of the parts I need. The only wielding should be the upper tabs in the back.

I'll also need to eyebrow the front frame and cut the rear frame for the notch.

Will I need to piecut the uppers if I'm not looking to lay out?
    Last edited by Pulse; 02-19-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    -Tom

Yeah you need to cut the front either way,because when the control compresses it will rub the bag if you don't and also factor in about 100 bucks for fittings to plumb your set up.

Thumbs up

Yeah you need to cut the front either way,because when the control compresses it will rub the bag if you don't and also factor in about 100 bucks for fittings to plumb your set up.
    Okay, about $100-$150 for fittings and other misc. stuff.

What about the upper control arm, is that going to need to be pie cut?
    -Tom

No don't cut the control arms

No don't cut the control arms
    Perfect, thanks for all the help. :)

Now it's time to save some cash and start pulling the parts together. :)
    -Tom

streetissuecustoms.com low_blazer's Avatar
    Not much lift because your using the bag only for lift,When you have a link you get articulation meaning like a see saw.
    The best think for you to do is go with a 2 link , check out silver star customs.
    Sweet...possibly the worst advice you could throw at him. If it's a daily driver, and you want to keep it that way, that 2-link kit is probably your worst option. 2-link's don't articulate at all. Aarticulation refers to side to side motion...the ability for the 2 wheels on the axle to move vertically and independantly of each other...like when you're driving down the road and you hit a bump with one wheel..the other stays on the ground. With a 2-link, you hit a bump with one wheel, the other wheel loses contact with the ground. And because of this lack of articulation, eventually, you'll break somehting...I've seen 2-links twist frames and snap leaf spring pads clean off axles, along with strip and snap u-bolts. 2-links suck for pinion angle and handling. About all they're good for is keeping your axle in place under the truck. Besides that, you're going to pay $400 for 2 bushings, 2 sticks of 2x2 box tube, and some 1/4" plate?

Really, if you dont want to throw alot of money at it, and dont plan on cutting alot, the Air over leaf kits are fine. I. along with alot of guys have run them with good success...you maintan proper drive line geometry, decent handling characteristics, and the ride quality is 10000000x better than any over the axle setup with "2500" lb bags all around...
    Doug
    '85 Blazer...bagged, small-blocked, back-halfed and body dropped
    http://streetissuecustoms.com/salesban_3.jpg
    Street Issue Customs

For all your custom fiberglass, interior or stereo needs... Epicenter Designs

Originally posted by S/T Lover
    That post would have made more sense if you would have just pissed all over the screen and posted a screen shot of that.

I drive on a two link everyday and never broke anything.

And

articulation
    One entry found for articulation.

Main Entry: ar·tic·u·la·tion
    Pronunciation: (")är-"ti-ky&-'lA-sh&n
    Function: noun
    1 a : a joint or juncture between bones or cartilages in the skeleton of a vertebrate b : a movable joint between rigid parts of an animal
    2 a : the action or manner of jointing or interrelating b : the state of being jointed or interrelated
    3 a : the act of giving utterance or expression b : the act or manner of articulating sounds c : an articulated utterance or sound; specifically : CONSONANT
    4 : OCCLUSION 1b

Question

Originally posted by low_blazer
    Really, if you dont want to throw alot of money at it, and dont plan on cutting alot, the Air over leaf kits are fine. I. along with alot of guys have run them with good success.
    The 2-link debate aside, this goes back to my original question, how much lift can be expected from an air-over leaf setup?

For the two link, I understand the geometry involved, you're strapping the entire live axle to one pivot point. I'm assuming this would pretty much remove any ability for side-to-side movement from the bag system. So it would be limited to front/back and pancake.

My biggest concern is lift. I'd like to get at least 6 inches. the FBSS stuff would be nice, more switches is always more fun, but, for me, I like the look of the truck lifting and dropping into place. While I don't want to BD or lay the truck out, I'd like plenty of movement from the lowest position to a much higher, max, position.

The 2-link seemed to offer this in a form that solved some of my earlier concerns (cost, to much wielding, not wanting to cut out the floor, etc).

I understand your concerns and I'm wondering if there is another solution you could recommend?

Right now I'm leaning toward the 2-link. I understand the concerns you mentioned but right now it seems like the better compromise.

Can the air-over-bag give decent lift?
    -Tom

You should be able to get about 6" of lift out of an air over leaf setup. Since you're not trying to completely lay out, that would be plenty. I'd rather go that route than spend $400 on a 2 link....