Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub Box

Sub Box

Guys, I'm not a big expert on building boxes and whatnot for speakers so I'll leave this up to you all. My truck is currently out of commision while I rebuild the engine in it and in the mean time I'm going to build a box to hold the subs I am buying. So here are my questions.

Info:
    4Dr 1st Gen Jimmy
    Spare tire located inside (want to leave it mounted)
    0 Guage Monster Wire throughout
    New Yellow Top Optima Battery
    2 12" Alpine Type E subs
    2 10" Alpine Type E subs

I want to know what thickness MDF board I should use on this box. I want the 2 12's facing up directly behind the rear seat and the other two shelved off and facing the rear with my amps sitting on the shelf in between them. My other question is can I get some pics of yall's setups since I have an idea of what I want. Will my Sony CDX-10 cd player be enough or should I get something newer/ better like an Alpine....And one more thing, what wattage amps should I run? The box will most likely be sealed and I was thinking 1.2 to 1.5 per sub. Does that sound correct? Thanks. -Josh
    85' Jimmy 2Dr 2WD Blown 2.8L*Sold*
    88' S-10 2Dr 2WD Blown 2.5L *Sold*
    88' Jimmy 2Dr 2WD R Code 2.8L *Daily Project*
    89' Jimmy 2dr 2WD Z Code 4.3L TBI *Parts Truck*
    92' Jimmy 4Dr 2WD W Code 4.3L Vortec *Sold*

Quote Originally Posted by FeTTo View Post
    please tell me you just took your stupid pill before posting that :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I wouldn't mix sub sizes. You'll get a ton of cancelation with 2 different sizes, and it'll sound like caca, imo. If you build the box right, you should be happy with the 2 12"s. :cool:
    TRUCK WHORE '84 tahoe blazer, '89 blazer, '92 blazer 4dr, '93 s10, '93 GMC Typhoon, '94 blazer, '02 blazer xtreme, '03 s10 xcab, & now '91 4dr blazer
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

ditto on it being tricks to run different size speakers. I think you might have better results using 2-12's of a higher quality than type E's. If you wanna stick with alpine i would try the type R's I have heard a couple setups using 12" type R's and they bang pretty hard, and aren't really that expensive. Just my .02
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjsp View Post
    LOL Tell Ford Doctors that they are negative pressure .... aka they suck.

Type E? didnt even know ther was such a thing i thought it was type S and Type R...if u r not very experienced you should def just go with one size...I also agree that u would be happier with type Rs..basically either 10s or 12s will hit 12 will rattle things alot more though...if u listen to a wide range of music 10s are better imo but if ur just into bass and rap and what not then the 12s would be the way to go...Def just my $.02.hopefully we have given u some ideas
    :smoker: :bigthumb:
    Stroke ME!!!:D :smoker:
    1986 2dr 2WD S10 Blazer
    1989 E/C 4WD S10 P/U
    1995 E/C 2WD Silverado
    1994 Chevrolet Beretta
    1997 Hyundai Elantra

x476364 on not mixing diff size subs. If you have to run 4 subs, Id sell the 10's and get another pair of 12's. Heres a pic of my box for my 2 12" RE HC's, its 38"w x 27.25"d x 17"h (external). It fits perfectly inbetween the wheelwells and is the same height as the back seat

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

'94 Bravada
    '67 Chevelle
    '73 Chevelle

It's all about to change winditup57's Avatar
    Type E's are the lowest grade for Alpine. (for biggcheif)

Anyway, are these new and do you have any paperwork on them to tell you the RMS and whatnot. That would be a starting point.

I agree with everyone else..dont mix the sizes. HU is your choice since you will be using amps to run the subs. I wouldnt go any smaller that 3/4" MDF for the box.

Most of all, if you are the one listening and you enjoy the way it sounds, that is all that really matters. Good luck with it.

If I do decide to go with the 2 12's instead of going with mixed sub sizes, I am going to go with Alpine's Type X. My friend has 1 in his Civic and it'll bounce a Sprite bottle off the trunk lid. I figure 2 with a ported box and a decent amp setup would be the way to go. (Alowerlevel) I like your setup but I intend on keeping a little more room that that in the back of my truck (ie. Spare tire/holder). (winditup57) I haven't yet bought the subs. I intend on building the box and picking up the amps before I buy the subs. They will be from Crutchfield since they tend to have the lowest prices around and shipping is free. I can get ohms, wattage and whatnot in a few moments and get back to you on those. Thanks. -Josh

please tell me you just took your stupid pill before posting that :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Just noticed they no longer make the Type X's so I guess Type R's will be my settle point. I'm going with the 10's because of the tightness of the bass and the fact that I listen to Rock,Rap,Country,Techno,Jazz and a little of everything else. Here are the specs on the Type R 10" subs.

Size 10 -inch
    Impedance 4 ohms
    Cone Material Kevlar Reinforced Pulp
    Surround Material Santoprene Rubber
    Sealed Box Volume (cubic feet) 0.5 - 0.8
    Ported Box Volume (cubic feet) 0.6 - 1.3
    Port diameter (inches) 2.5
    Port length (inches) 9.8
    Free-Air No
    Dual Voice Coil Yes
    Sensitivity 83dB
    Frequency Response 26 - 0.6k Hz
    RMS Power Range (Watts) 200-500
    Peak Power Handling (Watts) 1500
    Top Mount Depth (inches) 6 7/8
    Bottom Mount Depth (inches) 7 11/16
    Cutout Diameter or Length (inches) 9 1/8
    Vas (liters) 20
    Fs (Hz) 33
    Qts 0.53
    Xmax (millimeters) 18.2
    Parts Warranty 1 Year
    Labor Warranty 1 Year

Onlinecarstereo.com has these....

type x

And these: type R's

The 10's will not really seem any tighter than the 12's if the box and tuning are correct. Feed them at least rms power and you should be golden.

I like using either 10's or 12's because of the overall enclosure size usually...but would love to kick around a 15" sometime, simply because I have never played with one.

I would also suggest 3/4" mdf for the enclosure. Make sure it is properly braced as well, maybe even a doulbled up mounting face if you are really going to wang them.

Originally posted by crux131
    I would also suggest 3/4" mdf for the enclosure. Make sure it is properly braced as well, maybe even a doulbled up mounting face if you are really going to wang them.
    Amen :bigthumb: My box(see pic posted above) weighs in at about 110lbs empty, and just over 200lbs w/subs(90lbs worth of subs, and 1.25 sheets of 3/4" mdf @ 90lbs per sheet)
    Last edited by alowerlevel; 03-02-2007 at 12:04 AM.

'94 Bravada
    '67 Chevelle
    '73 Chevelle

Okay, I'm still lost..... I guess the Type X's are the way to go then? I really don't want to spend more than 500 on subs. I am going with the 3/4 MDF and I am going to double face it so it'll be strong (I read the buildup on the 300C on here with the 15's) and it gave me a bunch of info. I want it to be a good sounding system but, at the same time be able to put out some kickass SPL numbers. Now that I have the sub I want, what kind of wiring and amps should I run???? This is where I get lost. I understand bridging, mono channel, 2channels, 4,5,and 6 channels but, other than that I don't know jack squat.... Can you guys show me what are my best options? I've had some experience with American Pro 800W and Crunch 1000W but, those were all friend's amps/systems. They all tend to hit hard but, were never really loud... They just hit.... Thanks guys. -Josh

go with the best sub/amp you can afford. If you go with the X's...they handle a ton of power from what I have read.

You can buy 2 R's for less than the price of 1 X. the R's are everywhere on ebay for about $270 shipped per pair. I'd run a pair of the dual 4ohm ones in about 3.5 cu ft net tuned to 32hz, powered by a Hifonics BXi 1206d @ 1 ohm. If you shop around ebay you could get everything but the mdf for around $550. This is just my $0.02 though, Im sure others may disagree with me

'94 Bravada
    '67 Chevelle
    '73 Chevelle

That is the same amp I bought to power my 10" solar barics. I havent installed it yet but it looks like a nice amp on paper...lol

And I will agree with alowerlevel :bigthumb: