Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.6 roller rockers

1.6 roller rockers

ok....used the search button(OMG it still works)and i didn't find the answer i was looking for. so anyone who has put 1.6RR in their vortec 4.3 or 5.7 have you had to clearance the pushrod holes on the heads so they don't rub?

thanks
    Daniel
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

I know on the 5.7's they need to be enlarged to 1/2", I believe they are 3/8 from the factory.

Originally posted by Ericoo1
    I know on the 5.7's they need to be enlarged to 1/2", I believe they are 3/8 from the factory.
    ihave heard both yo do and you don't s i want to make sure.........also i think i'm just going to leave the heads on and grease up the drill bit and use a vacume and then flush the engine when done......???
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

if your gonna drill the heads. take them off. what ever fall in the motor will not all come out when you drain the oil. i have also heard of people having issues with the valve cover hitting also
    91 GMC SYCLONE(fast),88 2wd blazer(old school and sold),88 S-10 BLAZER(sold),92 4dr 2wd blazer(pink and bagged)93' s-10 blazer(plow truck),88 GTA TUNE PORT(blown motor),97 MXZ 670,01 YAMAHA RAPTOR(sleeping),87 YSR 50 CC WITH A 125 CC(never be done)
    THE SURGEON GENERAL WARNING NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT SMOKING A FORD

the covers shouldn't hit.....i was told if i keep the heads on then i should drain the oil......pour a gallon of freash oil though the engine while every thing is apart then start the motor...let it run for a few minutes then drain and change the filter and i should be good to go.......whatever shavings are left in the motor the filter should pick up or will be smashed into nothing........we're only taking shavings not chunks......trying not to pull the heads off
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    Take the heads off. If you don't chances are we'll be telling you "We told you so" when your bottom end turns to scrap metal. The filter picking up what's left... theoratically it should work, but probably won't.

Anyway, you have to run 'tall' style valve covers. The short, typical style may work, but I've never been able to pull it off without them hitting.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

many guys on the fullize forum i visit say they are fine with stock covers.........as for the bottom turning to scrap metal the shavings are sooooo small doubt that would happen...........a trick i learned was if you don't want the shavings to fly around then dip the drill bit in grease and the shavings will stick in the grease......i'll see how i feel when i get the intake off....if the heads are easy to pull then i might just take them off and do it the safe way
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    I don't know... to me it's a no brainer. A little extra work = garuntee no metal in my motor... Less work = possibility that in the end I'm going to be down a motor. It's just a tough gamble that I know I wouldn't take. No offense, but it's a matter of doing it the right way versus doing it the faster way. But, more than a couple people have told you to pull the heads and you seem to be set on leaving them on. So, let us know how it turns out.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Originally posted by blazin4low
    ihave heard both yo do and you don't s i want to make sure.........also i think i'm just going to leave the heads on and grease up the drill bit and use a vacume and then flush the engine when done......???
    well, from personal experience, it needs to be done. We put a set of 1.6's on a buddies 98' 5.7 he had in his truck. After a week we pulled the valve cover, he bought new pushrods, I got some "new" GMPP 1.6 roller rockers. He didn't want to pull the heads to enlarge the holes.

sounds like the heads are coming off.......like you said no half assing and i don't like to half ass, but just don't want to pull the heads.......well it's all in the name of performance
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

Banned

"Additional valve lift from a big cam and/or 1.6:1 rocker arms will require minor pushrod hole modifications to prevent bent pushrods. You can perform this modification yourself with a drill motor and a 1/2-inch bit. Be sure to drill at the pushrod angle. Comp sells a tool that helps position the drill bit properly."

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

cool thanks

going to turn it by hand so i can see f there is any spring bind too
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

also vortecs are known for the piss poor lift stock stock springs can handle. I'm sure you've checked the lift you'll have with the 1.6's, but just a reminder for those who may see this thread in the future.

Originally posted by Ericoo1
    also vortecs are known for the piss poor lift stock stock springs can handle. I'm sure you've checked the lift you'll have with the 1.6's, but just a reminder for those who may see this thread in the future.
    yeah the 1.6RR will just about max out your stock springs.....they will work with a mild cam or 1.6RR, but not both together without changing to some beehive springs only about $50 bucks on ebay....i'm thinking of changing them out while i have it all apart
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

Banned
    yeah those stock vortec ones dont take much, with 1:6's add approx .030 to you can lift, how much lift is your cam?

Also, you ever get your guides milled down or are these stock heads?

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4