Thread: shorty to long tube headers???

shorty to long tube headers???

when i put my v8 in my blazer the donor blazer i got my motor from had the long tube headers, i did not want to deal with those headers so i put them away and bought shorty headers. recently t bottom out on a speed bump a my passager side exhauts pipe was to low and push up the pipe severly cracking my header. i have taken of several time and welded it but a crack will form somewhere else, also there is a crack that i cant reach between the collector.since i am strapped for cash right now i am going to put my long tube headers back on. will i have any clearance problems anywhere? will it be easier or harder do take off my spark plugs? and will these create more heat than the shorties.
    1988 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd
    355 tbi ,headman headers
    custom air intake, accel extreme wires, 4-5 inch drop, 8.5 rearend, rear disc brakes, lakewood traction bars, rear sway bar, true dual exhaust. 98 center console, phantom grille

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2082236

tomarrow i will be installing the long tube headers. let you know how it turns out.
    1988 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd
    355 tbi ,headman headers
    custom air intake, accel extreme wires, 4-5 inch drop, 8.5 rearend, rear disc brakes, lakewood traction bars, rear sway bar, true dual exhaust. 98 center console, phantom grille

What brand are they? I had Hedman shorties on mine but while it's torn apart I was thinking of going to long tubes.
    Genius by birth, Slacker by choice.

UPDATE
    these are hooker long tube headers that have one tube going on the outside of the frame.

today i finished putting on the driver side header such a pain in the ass. i had to notch the motor mount for clearance for the #1 cylinder tube.( i have 2.8 mounts with the stealth motor mount plates in case you were wondering). i also had to cut a section out of the inner fenderwell for the #7 cylinder tube. also had to trim the ear off the trans for the collector to clear. be careful the brake lines that run along the cross member below the motor tend to get in the way . i will update tommarow when i get the passager side installed.
    1988 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd
    355 tbi ,headman headers

I did all that and played with heat wrap, quit the pain, try changing a starter

went to shorties

fianlly went to stock cast headers cause its only a tow vechiles now
    Last edited by bigjsp; 03-31-2007 at 09:48 PM.

well long story short hooker long tube headers wont fit with 2.8 and stealth mounts. driver side will clear with some notching but passanger wont because of the #2 tube hit the mount especially if the motor is in the rear postion on the mounts. sucks to be me.
    1988 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd
    355 tbi ,headman headers

visit the hooker website and see if they still have the application notes for the long tubes