Thread: Body Lines...

The ONE and The ONLY BlazinBlue's Avatar

Arrow Body Lines...

This is a question for those that do body work yourself or have experience on body woork.

I like the look of an s10 or s10 blazer w/o those deep body lines. How do you fill'm? Bondo? Fiberglass? LOTS OF WELDING(j/k)? I'm doing it myself so any help will do.

THANX in advanced:cool:
    Tulsa Chaper VP - Vertically Challenged
    :smoker: - 1989 S10 Blazer 2dr - 1995 F/S 4x4 -:smoker:

BLAZINLOW MEMBER #11

non posting whore
    i would weld them it will last longer thats what im doing 2 mine...pssst got bags
    Motionthree.com (610) 960-2921

I bought a gallon of aeronautical grade fiberglass filler that I use at work (on the planes) which has plenty of flex to so it wont pop off later when some one slams the door to hard. It is perfectly OK to just fill that line as long as you dont use a heavy fill like bondo. Try everglass or duraglass or even poly-flex. You have to completely strip the paint down to bare metal, then scratch the hell out of that with 36 grit, then clean it with acetone or methalene chloride (MC). If you use a resin based fill, then you should paint the metal very lightly with just plain mixed resin first. For sanding, INVEST in a long board for straight work. Squirt it with primer then sand that down, where there's primer left, needs more fill. My bodyline took me about 16 hours, and I do that for a living.
    Pssst-I got bags
    Last edited by SlimGu3; 10-19-2001 at 12:51 PM.
    I like my trucks like I like my women; WHITE & SHAVED!

The ONE and The ONLY BlazinBlue's Avatar

Thanx...

I'm glad i finally got an answer for that question from someone who takes pride in there work, In okla. every one has 2 ways of doing work on cars.

1.Old fashioned Southern Engineering or...
    2.Guess and check.("if it don't work the first time try using somthing better than Duct Tape ;) ")

Thanx again and now i know what I'll be doing This week.:cool: *PEACE*
    Tulsa Chaper VP - Vertically Challenged
    :smoker: - 1989 S10 Blazer 2dr - 1995 F/S 4x4 -:smoker:

BLAZINLOW MEMBER #11

hey slimgu3-

did you shave your 1/4 to roof body lines? ya know, the ones up top near the roof behind the doors and behind the 1/4 glass

I just did mine, and one cracked after 1 quick rip down the street, 10 minutes after getting it out of the shop Too much torque? the others are fine, just the one behind the drivers door did.l...

Is it because we didnt re-weld it? The other side we did when we put the new 1/4 panel on....
    this is a test of the sig

That's funny BlazinBlue, glad to help.
    Blazin Low,
    I went through the same thing and luckly for both of us it happened before paint! I knocked out the fill and ran a weld through that line, then ground it flat. That filled the line alone, but if you notice the top side sticks out about 1/8" more than the bottom side (of the line) on all four lines. So I had to fare that in. Being a flex point, I used Poly-Flex from Evercoat. That stuff is a bitch to sand but can take the flex. I haven't hade a problem with those areas since.
    Oh, dont to forget to check the two front joints, the ones on each side of the windshield. Mine didn't have a line, they were just very rippley.
    I like my trucks like I like my women; WHITE & SHAVED!

Question Body Lines

Hey Slim,

Where can I get some of that aeronautical fiberglass at? Is it readily available to the public to buy?

Thanks