Thread: 96 S10 5.3L LS1 Swap with stock 5 speed

96 S10 5.3L LS1 Swap with stock 5 speed

Hey guys, i have a buddy that has a 1996 S10 4.3L/5 speed that wants to swap in a stock 5.3L engine and reuse his stock 5 speed, and i wanted to find out if anybody has done this, and if so what all is needed to make it happen?

Thanks
    Mike
    1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492
    Full Resto w/383 E85 LM7/T56
    License Plate= CRN FED
    Working on it slowly but surely.

1992 GMC Typhoon #1104

2003 Silverado Ext Cab
    Daily driver

Member of H.A.S.T.E.
    www.h-a-s-t-e.com

I think that the bellhousings are different
    LT1/4L60E/Shaved handles, emblems, antenna/5-4 Drop/16" Xtreme Wheels.

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodV6 View Post
    Hey guys, i have a buddy that has a 1996 S10 4.3L/5 speed that wants to swap in a stock 5.3L engine and reuse his stock 5 speed, and i wanted to find out if anybody has done this, and if so what all is needed to make it happen?

Thanks
    a NON LSx trans will NOT fit and LSX block

the automatic guys can do it but not the manual guys sinc the input shaft will be to short to ride in the back of the crank

Quote Originally Posted by tippmann243 View Post
    a NON LSx trans will NOT fit and LSX block

the automatic guys can do it but not the manual guys sinc the input shaft will be to short to ride in the back of the crank
    Ithought someone the supports stock cars made an adaptor or it may jave just been a triple di$$$k set up .

too tired to look

Quote Originally Posted by bigjsp View Post
    Ithought someone the supports stock cars made an adaptor or it may jave just been a triple di$$$k set up .

too tired to look
    well the auto guys run can run a crank spacer to space the flexplate out enough, but that wont help a manual guy since the input shaft wills till be to short

ls1 input shaft length

lt1/standard SBC inputshaft length

notice how the LS1 shaft is longer. its because the LSx block run a recessed crank

http://www.mcleodind.com/application...L_HOUSING.html

not going to be cheap. check out assy 8710-01 Summit sells them

the nv3500 runs a nondetachable bellhouisng so none of those are going to help

Banned
    my buddy got a complete 5.3 w/ harness and acc. for 300 bux and he was going to do this but somone offered him 700 for the engine so...

But he did do some reasearch, one of the things he was having trouble with was flywheel or flexplate. You have to make sure about the number of teeth, and also if its internal or external balanced. Doesnt sound like a big problems but when he was looking up all the new parts he was having trouble matching stuff up via engine size 5.3/or 5.7 ls1 and years ect. I can get the specifics if you need to.

You'd thing all those ls engines are all the same parts but they arent.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Quote Originally Posted by tippmann243 View Post
    well the auto guys run can run a crank spacer to space the flexplate out enough, but that wont help a manual guy since the input shaft wills till be to short

ls1 input shaft length

lt1/standard SBC inputshaft length

notice how the LS1 shaft is longer. its because the LSx block run a recessed crank

I just came up with the idea to swap a lsx into my 92 sonoma, and would like to use my t5 trans. I saw this thread and was wondering if anyone knew if its possible to swap the input shaft to a longer one? I've rebuilt a few t5's and it wouldnt be hard if I could find the right shaft.

X2 Thats why I stuck with the older V8, a lot easier to match up stuff. I love challenges, but some things I just need to keep simple, due to time constraints. But all you young fellows probably have more time and energy lol.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Edgar Allan Poe