View Poll Results: Build up the 4.3 or save up for lt1?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll

12 37.50%
  • lt1

20 62.50%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build up the 4.3 or save up for lt1?

Build up the 4.3 or save up for lt1?

Well, Im thinking where to go next with my blazer. There is still plenty to do inside and out, but I want to touch the performance.

Im not sure what I should do... Build up my 4.3 with some headers, cam, electric fan, true duals, beef up my tranny, swap the 3.73 gear in, and maybe get 100 shot.

Or get an lt1, spend the money to have it machined to clean it up and rebuilt, then do full exhaust on it and a cam. Do the same with the tranny and rear. And have it tuned.

How much more power would the lt1 produce compared to the 4.3? And how much would it cost to build?
    VLAD

My 95

You might consider supercharging your Blazer. Powerdyne or Vortech kits bolt on and only cost $4000US but an LT1 will be atleast $6000US just for the motor with machining, tuning, motor mounts extra! The supercharger should give you 40% more hp at rear wheels with the same fuel economy. Expect atleast a 5mpg drop in fuel economy with the LT1! Also expect fewer new LT1 parts being developed in the future as the LS series V8s are becoming more and more popular for hotrodding. My 2002 Xtreme is supercharged and it yields 220hp and 250 ft/lbs tq at the rear wheels. How fast can you afford to go?:cool:

Actually they dont make superchargers for my CPI engine.

I can get LT1 for about 1000. Rebuilding it will NOT cost me another 5.

And for about 1/2 price of your supercharger I can get ls1 with 80 more hp stock. So thanks, but no thanks.
    VLAD

My 95

Quote Originally Posted by x_concepts View Post
    Actually they dont make superchargers for my CPI engine.
    actually there are supercharger kits for the cpi engine

http://www.tbi-superchargers.com/

on a side not you should know my choice, plus 4.3's are boost whores

plus if your still unsure, start doing mods that will work with both a 4.3 or a v8

like you oculd build your trans, get a 3.73 LSD rear end, get a N2O kit
    Last edited by 6SpeedBlazer; 05-12-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Blacked out member. Mistersponge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tippmann243 View Post
    actually there are supercharger kits for the cpi engine

http://www.tbi-superchargers.com/

on a side not you should know my choice, plus 4.3's are boost whores

plus if your still unsure, start doing mods that will work with both a 4.3 or a v8

like you oculd build your trans, get a 3.73 LSD rear end, get a N2O kit
    Fucking lucky dude that CPI blower is only 1800 I'd love to find the one I need for that much.
    -Brian
    02 Blazer Xtreme
    57 Chevy Bel Air
    Quote Originally Posted by DbBlazer View Post
    dude what do u think a trubo is? it is just a fan

Dang, Ive never seen one before and a few years back I looked all over the place for it.

I wonder what are the power gains. I dont know if it would be worth the 2k.
    VLAD

My 95

next to sex my z is best tahoeSS's Avatar
    still is not worth it,Lt1 will put 270 to the rear,add a small cam,ported heads and 1.6 rockers,not to mention TQ that a stock4.3 wont be doing with a S/C i am not dissin the 4.3 but the deal here is money saved vs. power earned i say Lt1 all the way unless you get a killer deal on a Ls1 drivetrain:boink:
    84 s10 X-cab,5.7/700r4,c5 wagonwheels;)
    88 s15 350/350,3800 under reconstruction:D
    96 z28 5.7,m6 a few things done:boink:
    95 z28,6.0,t400,4000stall +more:nono:

Banned
    LT1! so much potential.

You have so much funner driving it with that. I mean, what sounds cooler your blazer or the gto? And imo the lt1's sound sooooo much better than the ls1's so...

And you'll get killer milage with it too.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

IMO, if your gonna go through the trouble of doing the wiring and such for the LT1, might as well go with a LSX based motor. Lots more potential for about the same ammount of work, and just a little more money.
    Jim 94 Stepside
    ZZ430 clone V8
    NX kit in the works
    Tremec T56 6 speed
    8.5" rear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    Go before show any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by tippmann243 View Post

like you could build your trans, get a 3.73 LSD rear end, get a N2O kit
    I agree. Electric fan would fit that category too.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

Ya, there really is no question about whether or not the v8 is better than 4.3. The question is whether I can do it or not. I thought it would be alot easier to beef up the existing 4.3 than to go with a different engine.

If I got the lt1 or ls1 with a computer and everything, what all else will I need to change? And how hard would all the wiring be? Would the engine bolt up and work with the tranny in my truck or would it be a wiser decision to just look for the entire drivetrain?
    VLAD

My 95

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
    IMO, if your gonna go through the trouble of doing the wiring and such for the LT1, might as well go with a LSX based motor. Lots more potential for about the same ammount of work, and just a little more money.
    There is a lot more work involved with the LS1 than the LT1 into an series. Wiring is basically the same, a little more involved with the LS1.

Either way, you can't really go wrong with the LT or LS based motors.
    LT1/4L60E/Shaved handles, emblems, antenna/5-4 Drop/16" Xtreme Wheels.

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

Sir Mr. BIG Wooou bonestockracing's Avatar
    It realy Depends on what type of budget you are on. The 4.3 with a 150 shot is lots of fun with an upgraded drivetrain.

I would say Stay with the 4.3 for now and upgrade your trans and rear, fog it with a wet kit and when the 6 Banger pops, upgrade to a LT1. It will use the same trans and Posably the sabe converter (Depends on what you get).

Either way good luck man.
    91 S-10 BLAZER 355 5speed / 13.2 @ 107 on Street Tires, Traction is a Bitch
    94 GMC Jimmy 4X4 / Daily Driver
    2006 Silverado Z71 CC/SB

"Beat it to fit , Paint it to match"

Banned
    yeah that would be fun but the only problem, if hes like me, you like to go fast all the time and that just wouldnt work. heh

I wouldnt worry about it too much, that wiring is all plug and play, nothing thats real hard, and if you run into trouble just post up a pic and somone will help ya.

I dont have a clue how much harder it is but you might just want to stick with the lt instead of an ls like s/t lover said.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Im not so much into hauling ass all the time, going 100mph everywhere. I just like to get up to the speed limit pretty quick and show some good numbers at the strip.

I think I will work on other upgrades first. Get my other stuff up there so that I dont have to replace everything once I drop the lt1 in.

But before that I decided to get some pacesetter headers for the gto, cutouts, and a tune. Maybe also the rest of the exhaust and a cam. Thats pretty much all I have in plans for it. Should be about 400 rwhp by then and that would be plenty for now.
    VLAD

My 95